Author Topic: Site problems  (Read 19750 times)

Offline Stefan Pynappels

Re: Site problems
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 06:35:52 AM »
Hi Eric,

Is the problem with the code, with the server setup or with the networking? The error messages Tim posted looked like there were addressing issues in the php scripts, but I'm assuming the php scripts are part of the forums package. Could there be resource conflicts in the virtual server?

I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but sometimes having ideas bounced at me helps me work......so this is me trying to help :thumbup:

Stef.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »
Hi Eric,

Is the problem with the code, with the server setup or with the networking? The error messages Tim posted looked like there were addressing issues in the php scripts, but I'm assuming the php scripts are part of the forums package. Could there be resource conflicts in the virtual server?

I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but sometimes having ideas bounced at me helps me work......so this is me trying to help :thumbup:

Stef.

Hey Stef,

In about 2 months, I will take you on to see if we can fix it. I have bandaided it right now... Seems there is a service that goes into high gear and takes all the resources. Like i said, I haven't looked. However, we have an auto reboot every couple of days now...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 12:49:27 PM »
I know nothing of your problem I'm afraid, well out of my league, but it sounds a lot like Vista, I need to re-boot that every couple of days due to hogged resources.

No amount of net searching seems to come up with a fix for this problem?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 02:03:17 AM »
At the risk of sounding like I am Micro$oft bashing, I've had similar experiences with Windows Servers, its why we moved completely to Linux Servers at work. I'm not nearly as busy now fixing these problems, gives me more time for all the other things that are apparently my job too!

@ Eric:  No problem, shout if you need a hand, and I hope your health improves soon.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 03:04:05 AM »
At the risk of sounding like I am Micro$oft bashing, I've had similar experiences with Windows Servers, its why we moved completely to Linux Servers at work. I'm not nearly as busy now fixing these problems, gives me more time for all the other things that are apparently my job too!

@ Eric:  No problem, shout if you need a hand, and I hope your health improves soon.

I like Linux as well. We may end up moving to it. I am not thrilled with the Winblows 2k3 we have running here. Unfortunately, I know crap about running linux as a webserver... Thou using VMware I am an old hand at CLI :)

I am not worried... between several of us on here, it will be fixed!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 10:28:17 AM »
Cool Eric, let me know when you are ready to go and we will have an Ubuntu Server powered masterpiece up and running in no time. Finally, a project I can supply some meaningful help on. We'll have to start a project log too.....

Administering it is a snap too, especially as you have some CLI experience.

Stef.