Author Topic: A warning  (Read 31201 times)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Re: A warning
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2009, 04:47:51 PM »
Ebay is fantastic if your a buyer - everything is in your favour and you can never lose.   

I think "fantastic" may be a little ott Chris, for 5 years I've generally been happy mind, but, had a "very minor" negative experience, .... now't to worry about in the sum total of 99p though ..........  but, ....... I've also had some pals who bought a couple of Land Rover doors from a "seller"  (£200) who then seemed reluctant to post them ........... though ......... thanks to a forum like this; but devoted to 4x4's; a local member called round and helped to expedite the sale .......  :coffee: ........... result, the buyer was quite happy, but it took a couple of weeks longer than it should have.

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2009, 05:28:22 PM »
There used to be a few problems for buyers, but mostly they have been sorted out by Paypal now so you should have little trouble in that respect.

But there are scams for buyers.

The famous one was Xmas before last. Mummy and Daddy bought little Jonny the latest PSP/XBox he's been screaming for. It arrives in a nice shiny box complete with cellophane wrapper intact. Mummy wraps it up and sticks it under the tree. Imagine little Jonnies face when he opens it and finds a ................................

brick......oh the joy.

Too late now, the seller has long gone along with his scammed millions.

That one hit the Watchdog TV programme.....

Just don't link your PP acc to your bank acc.... :thumbup:
As a seller you have to make the link or you can't withdraw your income. I believe now you can't accept any PP payments for your sales either which would be a problem.

If anybody wants a real live demonstration or has any doubts just show me one of your live auctions. I will bid, pay, have the payment refunded and keep the goods. It's really quite simple to do.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2009, 07:02:19 PM »
CC - no I really think ebay is fanstic as a buyer. Like John said in an earlier post, I only have to think of something in my head and 9/10 I can find one and at an excellent price if I am patient enough. Got loads of proper proper bargains off it, more so in the old days but there are still many to be had now. I got an original Omega Seamaster 1960`s bumper automatic for £30 about 3 years ago - I was willing to pay £200+, auction ended at 2am and no-one bid! I got my unimat lathe for £140 inc. milling attachment etc. Still good now, you just have to look harder. They are all bargains but it is still good for convienience, stuff at normal price but available on there!

Selling is a different kettle of fish.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »
Apparently you all live in the wrong countries! :lol:

The NZ on-line auction is Trade Me   http://www.trademe.co.nz/ which seems to work very well.

The process is that when the auctions closes the winning bidder arranges payment, usually by direct bank transfer with costs the buyer nothing and the seller sends the goods.  I suppose some people have bad experiences but I do not hear of many. :coffee:

BTW, none of this 'sniping' nonsence either, if anyone bids in the last few moments the auction auto-extends.  I usually use the auto-bid function where I put in my highest offer and the software bids me up by mimimum increments until I reach that limit or everyone else stops and the auction closes with the sale going to me.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2009, 07:40:21 PM »
What surprises me about Ebay and PayPal is that they seem so ready to drive their customers away. I'm not sure about the connection between them, but they at the very least cosily symbiotic.

If press reports are to be believed, a significant number of private buyers and sellers are beginning to feel they are being ripped off by without any effective remedy from Ebay or PayPal. Darren says (and I believe him more than the press) the same is also true of the traders who Ebay now seems to think will provide it with the best income stream, by way of commission - it looks as though it is trying to go into competition with Amazon, by changing its core business into providing on-line market stalls for traders.

Between the pair of them. Ebay and Paypal seem to getting a pretty bad reputation with everyone they rely on for their income stream. Bad news travels fast these days, and if they continue along their present track I don't see a rosy future for either outfit. The financial analysts of the press are beginning to express doubts about their viability, though I would be the first to concede that the analysts who write those pages wren't exactly clairvoyant about the current world financial mess.

The trouble is that a lot of people are, like Darren, going to lose a lot of money before Ebay and PayPal either change their ways or go to the wall.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2009, 04:00:39 AM »
A couple of the places I deal with on there for metal have their own sites, and I've been switching my trade to those where possible.

Having been on the receiving end of PayPal's freezing shenanigans (used for convention ticket sales - £20,000+), this is kind of the last straw.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
An update
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2009, 05:28:42 AM »
This morning I received an update from paypal. This is not for the speakers this is another previous case before.

To date this is how it's gone.

Sold Item
buyer paid
I sent item
Buyer claims non receipt
I provide PP with tracking info
Buyer never makes any further response from the original opening of the dispute. (they are supposed to add further information to assist the claim)

today I get from Paypal

Dear Mr xxxxxxx

As you know, we're investigating a transaction problem that one of your
buyers recently reported.

It's taking a little longer than we expected to reach a decision. We're
actively working on your case and will notify you on the next steps as soon
as possible.

For the latest information about your case, please log in and visit the
Resolution Centre.

If the buyer wont respond they are either happy or scamming. If they wanted to pursue the claim they would continue with the process......you would think... :scratch:
Apart from that I am only supposed to provide proof of delivery with tracking info to protect myself, which I have done.

This is now in it's sixth week......how long does it take......oh, could be six months by some reports I've been reading....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 05:43:58 AM by Darren »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2009, 08:15:02 AM »
I have made such a pain in the arse of myself on that Paypal questions site that I have been promised that Paypal "will" be in contact with me today.....

But I doubt that will do any good. Basically I have been telling them how their "secure" systems fail and how to scam on Ebay.....trouble is I'm also telling the world and they don't like it.
Not on their own site....... :lol:

Funnily enough non of the posts have been pulled......yet....

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2009, 08:29:34 AM »
Nice barrage, Darren!  :clap:

So PayPal is a bank in the UK, but regulated by a body in Luxembourg... 
Seems a bit like Panamanian registry on a dodgy cargo ship.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2009, 08:36:07 AM »
Can I quote that? I missed that point...... :clap:

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »
Please do.
Though I have already done so in an earlier question about "Who regulates PayPal".

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »
Ah, I missed that, I have been so busy this morning as you no doubt realise  :lol:

I have used it....... :thumbup:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »
Received from Paypal today, another £41.00 gone.....

I don't have enough funds now to cover the amounts Paypal are stealing from me. Would you believe it they are also asking for me to add funds to cover the neg balance.......yeah, right you are.....

I think my balance is now around £350 in the red, that's the red after they took the original balance btw.

Below is a resolution notice, I provided all the proof of delivery and receipt they required in order to benefit from their sellers protection programme.

And it looks like there is more to come.......oh the joy.......

Dear Darren XXXX,

PayPal has concluded the investigation of the following claim:

Buyer's name: victoria hopkins
Buyer's email: v-hopkins@XXXXXX.co.uk
Transaction ID: 3T226227XXXXXXX

Transaction date: 21 Aug 2009
Transaction amount: 41.00 GBP
Your transaction ID: 40T984XXXXXXX
Case number: PP-776-505-XXX

A refund has been initiated from your account and the case is now closed.
Unfortunately, due to insufficient funds your account balance is now
negative and may be limited. Any funds entering the account will apply
toward making a positive balance.

This claim has been solved amicably. Please consider this when leaving
feedback for this buyer.

Yours sincerely,

Protection Services Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999-2009 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PP689

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »
This claim has been solved amicably. Please consider this when leaving
feedback for this buyer.
Amicable for who?  Besides, I thought they stopped sellers leaving negative feedback for buyers.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2009, 01:01:46 PM »
Yes I noticed that too.....yet another paypal mistake.....

Shall I tell Heather, I bet she hates me by now........ :lol:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
Ebay is banning Cash On Collection payments .... I got a warning today..... In the interest of seller/buyer protection ....

Alert!

As of 5 November 2009, you will be unable to list your item if cash is referenced as part of your payment instructions for in person transactions, outside of a few limited categories called out within the Accepted Payments policy. Although you may offer payment upon pick-up as an option when listings your items, you cannot openly solicit cash payments. For example, you are not allowed to say, “I accept cash in person” or “Cash accepted on collection”....."

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »
I'm happy to report that it's great when the "little" man can make the giant bow ....  :med:

On every ebay listing there are these short comforting words "Pay with PayPal and you can be fully protected"

Well they are about to change their wording. I'm not sure to what as yet but I've had the conformation that it's about to happen.

For what good it'll do mind ....  :doh:

And on the other hand I got a 3 day Ebay suspension  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Serves me right I suppose  :coffee:

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2009, 04:02:12 PM »
Darren
I stopped using Ebay to sell toy engines about two years ago. The moment they stopped buyers and sellers from being able to communicate, I saw trouble on the horizon. Then they decided to hide identities, making it impossible to spot shill bidders and problem bidders one had encountered along the way.

I was long gone by the time they forced Pay-pal on everyone, but a friend who thought I was crazy for not selling, stayed on. I told him the problems you describe were coming but he was among the faithful. He finally quit when the same thing you've described began happening to him.

Ebay has managed to cause far worse problems than their idiotic efforts were meant to cure. Today it has become a great place to get scammed, robbed and abused.... and that is just by management. The most crooked buyers are mere pikers in comparison.

I still make an occasional tool purchase on Ebay, but I'm very selective and I weigh the risks before clicking that buy it now button. Luckily, I've got other avenues in which to offer items for sale and no longer have to depend on Ebay. Don't get me started on the dangers and pitfalls of Craig's list....LOL

Steve

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2009, 06:04:52 PM »
 :doh: :doh: :doh:

I hadn't noticed I posted "Pay with PayPal and you can be fully protected"

It used to read ""Pay with PayPal and you’re fully protected"

They have already changed it .....

I did that, that was me that was,  :)
mind you it took some effort to convince them ...

But it should read "Pay with PayPal and you might be fully protected" that would be closer to the truth .... but then what did I expect from such a ........ better not say eh ... not here.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:13:09 PM by Darren »