Author Topic: Bandsaw or powered hacksaw, Which to get?  (Read 45616 times)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Bandsaw or powered hacksaw, Which to get?
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »
Hi gang, I've been saving my pennies for some time and now has come the happy time to splash out. Fed up with my right arm I've been dreaming about some means of powered cutting. This brings me to my point ( at last !!! ) I would love to hear your experiences with either machine and their pro's / cons.

If you have one or the other, what do you think are the advantages of what you have? What do you think the alternative machine would give you?

If you are in the situation of having both a bandsaw and a powered hacksaw, please tell me which is the most useful and why? Also, if you could only have one, which type would it be?

I appreciate any and all comments / suggestions.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
Re: Bandsaw or powered hacksaw, Which to get?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 02:38:40 PM »
Tim, I have an Asian bandsaw, but would jump at a chance of buying a powered hacksaw if I had the money for it:

The bandsaw is pretty difficult to get to cut squarely; horizontally it's still ok, but vertical cutting is difficult to get square.  Even in different materials, it is inclined to cut at different angles.  I use mine for pretty darn any metal that needs to be cut - silver steel, mild steel, brass, aluminium and cast iron, as well as wood & plastic on occasion.  Normally, this would necessitate a blade-change for different metals and thicknesses of cut to get an appropriate tooth spacing, but changing the blade on mine is a serious PITA, so I use one blade for all jobs; makes cutting thick pieces slow because the blade is too fine, and when cutting thin pieces I have to manually hold it back to prevent it stalling (or stripping teeth from the blade), as the teeth are too course.

From what I've seen, changing blades on the powered hacksaws is much easier, and by the nature of their design they are much easier to set up to cut square - that's why I would prefer the powered hacksaw.

One advantage of some models of bandsaw is that they can take a mounted table in vertical operation that you can use to free-hand cut.  I've never seen a feature like this on a powered hacksaw.

So in my opinion, if you've got the pennies, go for the hacksaw; they are normally more expensive - that's why I ended up with a bandsaw.
Make no mistake though, a bandsaw still beats the heck out of sawing a thick bit of barstock manually!

Cheers, Arnold

Offline jim

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:42:21 PM »
i'd not want to give up my band saw :thumbup:

its 6x4 one, never ran the blade it came with, i put a bi-metal blade in , bit fiddly to set up, but a real asset in the workshop
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »
I think I've posed the same question in another thread somewhere. The thinking is hacksaw to get straighter cuts on large stock. When I first saw a band saw in action I always wanted one as they cut through stuff like butter but now a lot of people are saying hacksaw. They are a lot more expensive, there is a decent one available from arc euro trade, this also is available at axminster but for what ever reason they've massively put the price up on that one now. I've been looking at a large floor standing hacksaws that can be had for around £80, you would prob have to swap the motor from 3 to single phase though.

NIck

Offline Maninshed

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:32:09 PM »
I bought a Warco bandsaw (all the imported machines are basically the same)have been very pleased with it, managed to cut some 6" dia thick wall copper tube no trouble. Yes it dose run off about a 1/32" on a 2" diameter, but havn't bothered to look at setting the blade guides up to get it to cut square. For the money think it was about £140 it's a god send. It has 3 speeds, blades are easy to change and last for ages. I've been really pleased with mine. :)

Martyn.

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »
The powered hacksaw I bought for 250 squid a year ago is now this price. I have noticed that all new far eastern machinery is going up in price, so maybe this would be a time to buy one of those old stock machines if you can find one. My lathe is now 30% dearer than one this time last year.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID/QOL/product-Axminster-SIEG-Axminster-SIEG-G1-Powered-Hacksaw-366124.htm

If I had the room I would have both a powered hacksaw and a bandsaw, as they both have good and bad points.

The plus for a bandsaw for me would be speed.

My personal choice was the powered hacksaw, because of the heavy stuff I cut, and the straightness and accuracy of the cut, but for a 3" bar of steel, it is a set up and go and do a bit of machining then come back job. The blades do work out a lot cheaper though, and I have still to get thru my first one, and it has cut up copious amounts of recycled bar, and not just small stuff.
Plus it has the advantage that it is bench mounted, as floor space in my shop is non existent.
I do use a small Black and Decker bandsaw for my non ferrous cutting, and that has been my mainstay for over 20 years.

Your choice has to be yours and yours alone. You are the only one who knows what you are going to be cutting, and what space and cash you have available.

Bogs

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences, you've given me some good points to think about.

Your choice has to be yours and yours alone. You are the only one who knows what you are going to be cutting, and what space and cash you have available.

That is very true, I didnt mean to come across as asking you all to make my choice, I just wanted to hear your collective experiences to give me something to think about before making the decision myself.

I know that the powered hacksaw is more expensive, I might be able to stretch for it. The smaller footprint is a great plus as I am pressed for space in the workshop. But the bandsaw can be used in the upright position and that could be useful too. Hmmm, me thinks I will have to think a bit more on this.

Thanks for shareing your experiences,

Tim

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »
It's a difficult choice Tim, as they both have their place.

If you intend to cut smaller stock then the bandsaw should do you. If you are thinking of 3" steel rounds the 6x4 is really getting out it's depth. Well mine is, I don't know how other fair.

Shame, I have just sold a nice hacksaw for £40.....I did offer it here before dumping it on Evilbay but no-one showed any interest and I needed it out of the way.

Why not have a look at the Evolution saws, the Rage or Fury. Mine seems to eat anything I throw at it and it's had just about the lot.

Aldis have them occasionally for £70.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »

The smaller footprint is a great plus as I am pressed for space in the workshop. But the bandsaw can be used in the upright position and that could be useful too.

No kidding Tim, you may have to put a shelf above the boiler and put something on that, can use the flue to preheat the work to make it easier to work with!

Seriously, the PVC roof will give you more options in your yard though, you might even try blocking access to the Tumble Dryer!

Glad to see you're feeling better, was going to call over next week, but have to go to Manchester for work so will have to postpone again.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
I've been looking at this with interest, mainly due to lack of floor space.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID/QOL/product-Axminster-MCB100A-Compact-Bandsaw-781243.htm

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 06:29:30 AM »
I haven't much room, so for occasional use I got this one:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pb06-portable-variable-speed-bandsaw/path/power-hacksaws-bandsaws-metal-cutting-saws (if the link breaks up, find Machine Mart and put 060610150 in the product number search box).
The original blade wasn't up to much, but with a 14 tpi Milwaukee bimetal blade it goes through 35mm aluminium round bar in 80 secs, and 25mm square MS in 45 secs. Freehand, it's hard to judge vertical cuts, because the frame is canted over, so I made a crude stand for it.
I wouldn't recommend one for regular use - the drive (variable speed, like an electric drill) is by a plastic pinion to an internally toothed gear within one of the blade wheels, and the frame is die-cast dubious metal. But for what I do, it's been a good 90 quids' worth. I can no longer use the prospect of an hour with the traditional Armstrong saw as an excuse for not starting a project.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline jim

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »
i nearly got one them hand held jobs, got my chester bandsaw for £145 (should have been £189) off ebay (ebay gave me a voucher :D).

if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:23:04 AM »
never seen those hand held ones before. Not sure what to get myself now  :doh:

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 03:11:34 PM »
I have used one of these for over 25 years

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 05:30:29 PM »
Thanks for all your inputs and links guys  :thumbup:

I'm still debating the choice but am leaning more towards the bandsaw, I think that once modded to have a table for upright use it would be very handy for thinner sheet cutting. Plus, from what some have said, the accuracy of cut isnt that bad ( compared to hacksawing by hand a bandsaw would cut with the accuracy of a CNC laser !!! )

The accuracy and the capability of cutting very hard stuff of the powered hacksaw is appealing, plus the cheaper and long lasting blades too, but the extra cost is kinda putting me off. If they were still available at the price that Bogs got his at then it would be a different matter and probably a much harder choice.

To those with 6x4 type bandsaws, how does the machine cope with cutting say, 3-4" mild steel round bar? and 3-4" cast iron? Those would be probably the largest and hardest materials I would be looking to cut.

Tim

Offline websterz

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 12:51:55 AM »
Thanks for all your inputs and links guys  :thumbup:

I'm still debating the choice but am leaning more towards the bandsaw, I think that once modded to have a table for upright use it would be very handy for thinner sheet cutting. Plus, from what some have said, the accuracy of cut isnt that bad ( compared to hacksawing by hand a bandsaw would cut with the accuracy of a CNC laser !!! )

The accuracy and the capability of cutting very hard stuff of the powered hacksaw is appealing, plus the cheaper and long lasting blades too, but the extra cost is kinda putting me off. If they were still available at the price that Bogs got his at then it would be a different matter and probably a much harder choice.

To those with 6x4 type bandsaws, how does the machine cope with cutting say, 3-4" mild steel round bar? and 3-4" cast iron? Those would be probably the largest and hardest materials I would be looking to cut.

Tim

Just build yourself a power hacksaw and spend the extra money on beer and blades.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

bogstandard

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 04:25:07 AM »
Tim,

On the mainland UK we very regularly get the small benchtop hacksaws going for well under 100 squid (not like mine BTW, an older type). Maybe later you could search one out and have both.

Now you have sort of made your decision, It is price, plus bells and whistles comparisons time. Now, just take your time, and get exactly what you want.

Good luck on your journey.

Bogs

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 04:40:35 AM »
On the mainland UK we very regularly get the small benchtop hacksaws going for well under 100 squid (not like mine BTW, an older type). Maybe later you could search one out and have both.

That's why I'm so jealous of you guys on the mainland, esp' those who live in industrial areas, the availability of good, used equipment is not so good here, and even when buying new there isnt as much choice from the local suppliers. Then when you find a suitable machine from a supplier on the mainland via the interweb, you find out that to ship to northern ireland will cost 80-200 squid extra than the normal postage. At least that's one thing in axminster's favour, their postage is free if ordering over a certain amount, and they honor that even to northern ireland.

Anyway, rant over, I am coming over to the mainland to visit my inlaws in a few weeks, and while the better half is out with her mother I intend to visit a couple of places, RDG and Chester tools, to mention just 2. I'm looking at possibly this one or this one if the extra capacity is worth it. ( I always figure on getting something that just exceeds my requirements just in case I've figured said requirements wrongly, and you'd not be surprised how many times that has happened!! )

But like you said Bogs, I can always look out for a benchtop powered hacksaw to add at a later date, I think the bandsaw would fill my current needs better and be a little lighter on the wallet.

Tim

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 04:51:54 AM »

Tim, it should cope well if you use a coarse blade. In the last couple of weeks, Ive cut both cast iron and steel in the 2 to 3 inch sizes, but couldn't be bothered to put on a coarser blade.  Then the cuts take a while ~10 minutes for the steel and about 6 minutes for the cast iron.  Should be significantly quicker if you use the correct blade though.

I still have to make a mod on my saw to make it easier to change blades; for now I have to take the guard off by unscrewing 6 3mm cap screws.

Also, be sure to check out if the saw you're looking at can in fact be used upright.  I got caught out on that; initially mine could only be lifted to about 60 degrees from horizontal...  Had to apply some gentle persuasion with a grinder on a couple of corners & edges, now it goes nearly vertical.  Also had to make some fittings to allow me to clamp short stock, as the vice is pretty far away from the blade.  Can take some photos if you're interested.

Cheers, Arnold

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 04:55:20 AM »
Tim, we were cross - posting...
The H110 is exactly what I have, so beware of the vertical issue....
I THINK the HV128 can go vertical.

Cheers

bogstandard

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 04:57:40 AM »
I was just about to tell you to check that the saw can be made into a vertical one, but Arnold beat me to it.

When I was making my decision what to buy, I checked with Chester UK, and none of their bandsaws had the vertical feature.

So it is search time for you my lad!!

Bogs

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 05:36:35 AM »
Don't know if this one's any good, but it comes with the parts to use it vertically.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbs45md-41-2in-x-6in-metal-cutting-ban

Also, the review on the Axminster MCB100A implies that can go vertical too.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 05:41:46 AM »
That's the one I have that I picked up at a local auction about a year ago.

BTW they put the wheels on the wrong end in their add,  :doh:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 09:15:04 AM »
 :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Well at least you saved me emailing chester about the vertical capability. Arnold, was the mod to yours difficult? I'd like to see those pics, thanks :thumbup:

Don't know if this one's any good, but it comes with the parts to use it vertically.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbs45md-41-2in-x-6in-metal-cutting-ban
Thanks for the link, that looks good.

That's the one I have that I picked up at a local auction about a year ago.

What is your view on it after having used it for a year? Happy with it?

Tim