Author Topic: Bandsaw or powered hacksaw, Which to get?  (Read 45595 times)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Bandsaw or powered hacksaw, Which to get?
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »
Hi gang, I've been saving my pennies for some time and now has come the happy time to splash out. Fed up with my right arm I've been dreaming about some means of powered cutting. This brings me to my point ( at last !!! ) I would love to hear your experiences with either machine and their pro's / cons.

If you have one or the other, what do you think are the advantages of what you have? What do you think the alternative machine would give you?

If you are in the situation of having both a bandsaw and a powered hacksaw, please tell me which is the most useful and why? Also, if you could only have one, which type would it be?

I appreciate any and all comments / suggestions.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
Re: Bandsaw or powered hacksaw, Which to get?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 02:38:40 PM »
Tim, I have an Asian bandsaw, but would jump at a chance of buying a powered hacksaw if I had the money for it:

The bandsaw is pretty difficult to get to cut squarely; horizontally it's still ok, but vertical cutting is difficult to get square.  Even in different materials, it is inclined to cut at different angles.  I use mine for pretty darn any metal that needs to be cut - silver steel, mild steel, brass, aluminium and cast iron, as well as wood & plastic on occasion.  Normally, this would necessitate a blade-change for different metals and thicknesses of cut to get an appropriate tooth spacing, but changing the blade on mine is a serious PITA, so I use one blade for all jobs; makes cutting thick pieces slow because the blade is too fine, and when cutting thin pieces I have to manually hold it back to prevent it stalling (or stripping teeth from the blade), as the teeth are too course.

From what I've seen, changing blades on the powered hacksaws is much easier, and by the nature of their design they are much easier to set up to cut square - that's why I would prefer the powered hacksaw.

One advantage of some models of bandsaw is that they can take a mounted table in vertical operation that you can use to free-hand cut.  I've never seen a feature like this on a powered hacksaw.

So in my opinion, if you've got the pennies, go for the hacksaw; they are normally more expensive - that's why I ended up with a bandsaw.
Make no mistake though, a bandsaw still beats the heck out of sawing a thick bit of barstock manually!

Cheers, Arnold

Offline jim

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:42:21 PM »
i'd not want to give up my band saw :thumbup:

its 6x4 one, never ran the blade it came with, i put a bi-metal blade in , bit fiddly to set up, but a real asset in the workshop
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »
I think I've posed the same question in another thread somewhere. The thinking is hacksaw to get straighter cuts on large stock. When I first saw a band saw in action I always wanted one as they cut through stuff like butter but now a lot of people are saying hacksaw. They are a lot more expensive, there is a decent one available from arc euro trade, this also is available at axminster but for what ever reason they've massively put the price up on that one now. I've been looking at a large floor standing hacksaws that can be had for around £80, you would prob have to swap the motor from 3 to single phase though.

NIck

Offline Maninshed

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:32:09 PM »
I bought a Warco bandsaw (all the imported machines are basically the same)have been very pleased with it, managed to cut some 6" dia thick wall copper tube no trouble. Yes it dose run off about a 1/32" on a 2" diameter, but havn't bothered to look at setting the blade guides up to get it to cut square. For the money think it was about £140 it's a god send. It has 3 speeds, blades are easy to change and last for ages. I've been really pleased with mine. :)

Martyn.

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »
The powered hacksaw I bought for 250 squid a year ago is now this price. I have noticed that all new far eastern machinery is going up in price, so maybe this would be a time to buy one of those old stock machines if you can find one. My lathe is now 30% dearer than one this time last year.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID/QOL/product-Axminster-SIEG-Axminster-SIEG-G1-Powered-Hacksaw-366124.htm

If I had the room I would have both a powered hacksaw and a bandsaw, as they both have good and bad points.

The plus for a bandsaw for me would be speed.

My personal choice was the powered hacksaw, because of the heavy stuff I cut, and the straightness and accuracy of the cut, but for a 3" bar of steel, it is a set up and go and do a bit of machining then come back job. The blades do work out a lot cheaper though, and I have still to get thru my first one, and it has cut up copious amounts of recycled bar, and not just small stuff.
Plus it has the advantage that it is bench mounted, as floor space in my shop is non existent.
I do use a small Black and Decker bandsaw for my non ferrous cutting, and that has been my mainstay for over 20 years.

Your choice has to be yours and yours alone. You are the only one who knows what you are going to be cutting, and what space and cash you have available.

Bogs

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences, you've given me some good points to think about.

Your choice has to be yours and yours alone. You are the only one who knows what you are going to be cutting, and what space and cash you have available.

That is very true, I didnt mean to come across as asking you all to make my choice, I just wanted to hear your collective experiences to give me something to think about before making the decision myself.

I know that the powered hacksaw is more expensive, I might be able to stretch for it. The smaller footprint is a great plus as I am pressed for space in the workshop. But the bandsaw can be used in the upright position and that could be useful too. Hmmm, me thinks I will have to think a bit more on this.

Thanks for shareing your experiences,

Tim

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »
It's a difficult choice Tim, as they both have their place.

If you intend to cut smaller stock then the bandsaw should do you. If you are thinking of 3" steel rounds the 6x4 is really getting out it's depth. Well mine is, I don't know how other fair.

Shame, I have just sold a nice hacksaw for £40.....I did offer it here before dumping it on Evilbay but no-one showed any interest and I needed it out of the way.

Why not have a look at the Evolution saws, the Rage or Fury. Mine seems to eat anything I throw at it and it's had just about the lot.

Aldis have them occasionally for £70.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »

The smaller footprint is a great plus as I am pressed for space in the workshop. But the bandsaw can be used in the upright position and that could be useful too.

No kidding Tim, you may have to put a shelf above the boiler and put something on that, can use the flue to preheat the work to make it easier to work with!

Seriously, the PVC roof will give you more options in your yard though, you might even try blocking access to the Tumble Dryer!

Glad to see you're feeling better, was going to call over next week, but have to go to Manchester for work so will have to postpone again.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
I've been looking at this with interest, mainly due to lack of floor space.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID/QOL/product-Axminster-MCB100A-Compact-Bandsaw-781243.htm

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 06:29:30 AM »
I haven't much room, so for occasional use I got this one:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pb06-portable-variable-speed-bandsaw/path/power-hacksaws-bandsaws-metal-cutting-saws (if the link breaks up, find Machine Mart and put 060610150 in the product number search box).
The original blade wasn't up to much, but with a 14 tpi Milwaukee bimetal blade it goes through 35mm aluminium round bar in 80 secs, and 25mm square MS in 45 secs. Freehand, it's hard to judge vertical cuts, because the frame is canted over, so I made a crude stand for it.
I wouldn't recommend one for regular use - the drive (variable speed, like an electric drill) is by a plastic pinion to an internally toothed gear within one of the blade wheels, and the frame is die-cast dubious metal. But for what I do, it's been a good 90 quids' worth. I can no longer use the prospect of an hour with the traditional Armstrong saw as an excuse for not starting a project.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline jim

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »
i nearly got one them hand held jobs, got my chester bandsaw for £145 (should have been £189) off ebay (ebay gave me a voucher :D).

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:23:04 AM »
never seen those hand held ones before. Not sure what to get myself now  :doh:

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 03:11:34 PM »
I have used one of these for over 25 years

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 05:30:29 PM »
Thanks for all your inputs and links guys  :thumbup:

I'm still debating the choice but am leaning more towards the bandsaw, I think that once modded to have a table for upright use it would be very handy for thinner sheet cutting. Plus, from what some have said, the accuracy of cut isnt that bad ( compared to hacksawing by hand a bandsaw would cut with the accuracy of a CNC laser !!! )

The accuracy and the capability of cutting very hard stuff of the powered hacksaw is appealing, plus the cheaper and long lasting blades too, but the extra cost is kinda putting me off. If they were still available at the price that Bogs got his at then it would be a different matter and probably a much harder choice.

To those with 6x4 type bandsaws, how does the machine cope with cutting say, 3-4" mild steel round bar? and 3-4" cast iron? Those would be probably the largest and hardest materials I would be looking to cut.

Tim

Offline websterz

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 12:51:55 AM »
Thanks for all your inputs and links guys  :thumbup:

I'm still debating the choice but am leaning more towards the bandsaw, I think that once modded to have a table for upright use it would be very handy for thinner sheet cutting. Plus, from what some have said, the accuracy of cut isnt that bad ( compared to hacksawing by hand a bandsaw would cut with the accuracy of a CNC laser !!! )

The accuracy and the capability of cutting very hard stuff of the powered hacksaw is appealing, plus the cheaper and long lasting blades too, but the extra cost is kinda putting me off. If they were still available at the price that Bogs got his at then it would be a different matter and probably a much harder choice.

To those with 6x4 type bandsaws, how does the machine cope with cutting say, 3-4" mild steel round bar? and 3-4" cast iron? Those would be probably the largest and hardest materials I would be looking to cut.

Tim

Just build yourself a power hacksaw and spend the extra money on beer and blades.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

bogstandard

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 04:25:07 AM »
Tim,

On the mainland UK we very regularly get the small benchtop hacksaws going for well under 100 squid (not like mine BTW, an older type). Maybe later you could search one out and have both.

Now you have sort of made your decision, It is price, plus bells and whistles comparisons time. Now, just take your time, and get exactly what you want.

Good luck on your journey.

Bogs

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 04:40:35 AM »
On the mainland UK we very regularly get the small benchtop hacksaws going for well under 100 squid (not like mine BTW, an older type). Maybe later you could search one out and have both.

That's why I'm so jealous of you guys on the mainland, esp' those who live in industrial areas, the availability of good, used equipment is not so good here, and even when buying new there isnt as much choice from the local suppliers. Then when you find a suitable machine from a supplier on the mainland via the interweb, you find out that to ship to northern ireland will cost 80-200 squid extra than the normal postage. At least that's one thing in axminster's favour, their postage is free if ordering over a certain amount, and they honor that even to northern ireland.

Anyway, rant over, I am coming over to the mainland to visit my inlaws in a few weeks, and while the better half is out with her mother I intend to visit a couple of places, RDG and Chester tools, to mention just 2. I'm looking at possibly this one or this one if the extra capacity is worth it. ( I always figure on getting something that just exceeds my requirements just in case I've figured said requirements wrongly, and you'd not be surprised how many times that has happened!! )

But like you said Bogs, I can always look out for a benchtop powered hacksaw to add at a later date, I think the bandsaw would fill my current needs better and be a little lighter on the wallet.

Tim

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 04:51:54 AM »

Tim, it should cope well if you use a coarse blade. In the last couple of weeks, Ive cut both cast iron and steel in the 2 to 3 inch sizes, but couldn't be bothered to put on a coarser blade.  Then the cuts take a while ~10 minutes for the steel and about 6 minutes for the cast iron.  Should be significantly quicker if you use the correct blade though.

I still have to make a mod on my saw to make it easier to change blades; for now I have to take the guard off by unscrewing 6 3mm cap screws.

Also, be sure to check out if the saw you're looking at can in fact be used upright.  I got caught out on that; initially mine could only be lifted to about 60 degrees from horizontal...  Had to apply some gentle persuasion with a grinder on a couple of corners & edges, now it goes nearly vertical.  Also had to make some fittings to allow me to clamp short stock, as the vice is pretty far away from the blade.  Can take some photos if you're interested.

Cheers, Arnold

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 04:55:20 AM »
Tim, we were cross - posting...
The H110 is exactly what I have, so beware of the vertical issue....
I THINK the HV128 can go vertical.

Cheers

bogstandard

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 04:57:40 AM »
I was just about to tell you to check that the saw can be made into a vertical one, but Arnold beat me to it.

When I was making my decision what to buy, I checked with Chester UK, and none of their bandsaws had the vertical feature.

So it is search time for you my lad!!

Bogs

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 05:36:35 AM »
Don't know if this one's any good, but it comes with the parts to use it vertically.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbs45md-41-2in-x-6in-metal-cutting-ban

Also, the review on the Axminster MCB100A implies that can go vertical too.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 05:41:46 AM »
That's the one I have that I picked up at a local auction about a year ago.

BTW they put the wheels on the wrong end in their add,  :doh:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 09:15:04 AM »
 :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Well at least you saved me emailing chester about the vertical capability. Arnold, was the mod to yours difficult? I'd like to see those pics, thanks :thumbup:

Don't know if this one's any good, but it comes with the parts to use it vertically.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbs45md-41-2in-x-6in-metal-cutting-ban
Thanks for the link, that looks good.

That's the one I have that I picked up at a local auction about a year ago.

What is your view on it after having used it for a year? Happy with it?

Tim

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 09:23:49 AM »

Uuhh, How much is a Quid in U.S. ?  Can't find that in currency converter.  :scratch: :scratch:

Ron

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 09:32:17 AM »

Uuhh, How much is a Quid in U.S. ?  Can't find that in currency converter.  :scratch: :scratch:

Ron

A Quid is slang for a pound or £ .

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47:36 AM »
LOL.
"Quid" is the British version of the US "buck", but we don't put "s" on the end for plural.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »
OK, Thanks. I kind of thought so but wasn't sure.

Ron

bogstandard

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »
Ron,

It is quoted that way as some of you can't pick up the pound (£) sign because of your keyboard layout.

Quid (singular), Squid (multiple) is shorter to type than pound or pounds, and also, it then doesn't get confused with the weight value of pounds (lbs).

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »

What is your view on it after having used it for a year? Happy with it?

Tim

Very happy with it. Though it does have it's limitations as pointed out by others. But it is more than capable for the home workshop and then some.

The biggest complaint is the stand, it needs junking. I've had two of these saws, first was new and this one was almost free. Both suffered by the naff quality of the stands.
A new stand it to be built shortly.... :thumbup:

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 02:33:26 PM »
Tim, herewith the photos:

Sorry for the mess; didn't clean the saw (Now where's that red face smiley when you need it?  :doh: )

First up, the parts I made to be able to cut short lengths of stock.  I love the vice on this saw as it is a breeze to operate, so I made slip-on extension pieces to get clamping power close to the blade.  I also made an extension that extends the base of the vice beyond the blade, so I can just clamp up a work piece and there is enough support for it to lay flat, even if it is very short.  This base extension just presses into the hole normally used for the depth stop, which I have never used in the 3 years I've had the saw.

All extensions slipped on, and cutting a 1mm slice off a 6mm long piece of round bar (everything's nice and shiny here; took the next 2 photos just after I got the saw and made the mod):

And close-up:

Next up, where I ground away bits to get the saw to work near-vertical; it's off by about 10 degrees from vertical, but fine for now:

Making a table for it is still in the overflowing bin of round tuits; I know how, just need to do it at some point...

If you want any more detail, give a shout  :D

Cheers, Arnold

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »
I like it........ :clap:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 02:45:06 PM »
That's great Arnold :thumbup: great mods and I am impressed that you can slice a 1mm thick piece off a 6mm thick piece. Have you had to do much to the bandsaw to set it up to cut that accurately? ( apart from making the extended jaws on the vice )

Tim

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »
Thanks Darren & Tim

Tim, not much. getting horizontal cutting square is a case of using a square to set the base.

Vertical is a bit more of a problem though.  The blade's bearing guides are adjustable and can pivot a bit, so I set those using a couple of repeated cuts to see where I end up.  But blade tension and the type of material you are cutting do have an influence.  Also blade sharpness.  As the blade starts becoming blunt, it is inclined to cut more of-square vertically.  Mild steel, brass and cast iron do not tend to deflect too much, but aluminium does, I suspect because of tooth clogging in the blade - (once again Yours Truly too lazy to change blades) .

I've never been able to get a hold of bimetal blades, so I don't know how those will behave differently.

Apart from this, the saw is very acceptable.  If you do go for one of these, just disassemble it when you get it, and reassemble, checking that all screws are tight.  As-received, mine's pulleys didn't even align properly.

I'll also get around to adding hinges to the blade cover, and a quick-release screw, so that changing blades are easier.

:beer:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »
I know where there's a 2nd hand axminster power hacksaw same as Boggies for £150. http://www.bedetools.com/page18.html
I only went there for a lathe change wheel but ended up talking to the bloke for over an hour!  Luckily quite near my work but they do deliver stuff.

Nick

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 12:26:44 PM »
I know where there's a 2nd hand axminster power hacksaw same as Boggies for £150. http://www.bedetools.com/page18.html
I only went there for a lathe change wheel but ended up talking to the bloke for over an hour!  Luckily quite near my work but they do deliver stuff.

Nick

Thanks for that link :thumbup: that would be great.  Now, I wonder if I can convince my inlaws to move a bit closer  :scratch:

Sadly I think that place is too far away from Burnley :bang:

Ho hum, the search goes on.

Offline jim

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Arnold, thems some great mods to your saw, mines the same one.

i'd not even thought about exteding the bottom of the vice :doh:

i'd got the extension to the vice jaws figured out :D

its another reason i like this site, always a mod that you can do to improve the shop :thumbup:

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2009, 04:18:31 PM »
As long as we're collecting bandsaw mods, let me throw in my contribution, already written for the HMEM forum...

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=896.0
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »
That's a good one Marv, another mod filed for a future build  :thumbup:

Tim

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »
They can arrange next day delivery but looks pretty pricey depending on where you are! Like you say, it's a fair trip from burnley, even the return fuel would cost quite a bit.

Nick

Offline Mike K

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 06:15:24 PM »
Tim,

If you do get the bandsaw, there is a good Yahoo group with lots of tip, tricks, and mods:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4x6bandsaw/

I've had my 4x6 for about a year and am very pleased with it.  Would be nice if it took up less space, but that's my fault for not tidying up the garage.

Mike

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 06:42:30 PM »
jimmyocharlie, thanks.  It's a simple modification for this type of saw.  My modification is very crude, but has served me well, as I made it "perfectly"  :lol: level with the vice bed.

When I did my mods, I did it with whatever I had at-hand; it could be done much more gracefully, but from a practical point, I've not had any reason to change my set-up.  I will, however, at some point make a plan to make it easier to change the blade.

A question from my side out of interest's sake... How often have any of you needed your saw changed to saw at a different angle than square?

:beer: Arnold

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
I THINK the HV128 can go vertical.

You think correctly  :thumbup: I ended up emailing Chester, just on the off chance that they might have changed/added the feature of vertical operation since Bogs inquired about them, and what do you know, I got a reply stating that the HV128 can be used in both horizontal and vertical positions ( though not at the same time  :lol: ) and it can be locked in the upright position and there is even an optional table for sale for upright use.

Just thought I'd share that in case anyone else might be looking for the same capability.

Tim

bogstandard

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2009, 05:52:11 AM »
If someone is quick, maybe you can get yourself a bargain.

Kindly ripped off from John Stevenson's site

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/latest.html

Also note that the Arc Euro hacksaw is much cheaper than the Axminster offering

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Saws

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID/QOL/product-Axminster-SIEG-Axminster-SIEG-G1-Powered-Hacksaw-366124.htm

Bogs

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:57:29 AM by bogstandard »

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »
Thanks for posting that Bogs  :thumbup:

If someone is quick, maybe you can get yourself a bargain.

Someone was quicker than me, I did email and phone but I was too late unfortunately  :(

Tim

bogstandard

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »
That's the problem with very popular sites like John's.

When bargains come up, you gotta be quick.

It was most probably sold before I even put it on here, but you've got to try.

John

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2009, 10:28:19 PM »
Hi all, heres some pics of the saw I've been using.  It was made close to 30 years ago from plans in Pop Mechanics. 

Not sure about the rusty chisel  :scratch:

No pickup on the backstroke, but that doesn't seem to hurt anything.  It's a little rough but it gets the job done.  :thumbup:

Jeff

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 02:27:17 AM »
That looks a nice honest bit of kit. I really like it

It's a little rough but it gets the job done.  Sounds just like me:- have we met  :scratch:  :D

Thanks for showing

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 03:19:09 AM »
Enough of all this talk about bandsaws and hacksaws, just get a machine in that will cope with anything that is liable to crop up in the future.

BTW, a very nice 'home mader' there Jeff.

Bogs

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:21:44 AM by bogstandard »

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2009, 11:45:14 AM »
Hmmmm....  I believe that's just the ticket for taking off that pesky extra couple feet from the old minivan  :)

Jeff

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
Enough of all this talk about bandsaws and hacksaws, just get a machine in that will cope with anything that is liable to crop up in the future.

Hmm  :scratch: I wonder if I could get that into the boot of a Vectra to bring it home?  :lol:

Tim

Offline jim

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »
been using the bandsaw today, 2" mild steel, i just had a fag and let the machine do the work :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »
I chopped up some 20mm plate on my cold saw yesterday and I think my shoulder can still fell the pressure of the handle on that thing. 

Being the miserable git that I am the total loss flood coolant I use comes straight from the garden house and I notice this morning that we have a nasty rusty stain on the driveway. :doh:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2009, 10:27:46 AM »
Just a little update to this, I decided to get a bandsaw, and ended up getting a Chester HV128. I went to their Chester office and saw it and then got one. I will post up a complete write-up on it detailing my attempts to set it up and first impressions ect when I get home.

I'm writing this on the ferry on the Irish sea, (the wonders of technology) so I should start the write up over the next few days.

Tim

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »
Don't tell me you are ferryin it home yourself .....  :jaw:

You'll be pleased with it, a couple of small mods and they are very capable machines....  :thumbup:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »
Don't tell me you are ferryin it home yourself .....  :jaw:

Cheaper than the shipping charges  :lol:

Fortunately the box fitted nicely into the boot. They did have a couple of demo-models that were for sale for a bit cheaper, but they were built up and I didnt fancy the gearbox oil spilling out over the boot and luggage  ( that might have been hard to explain to the better half ) so I decided to get a new one.

I was over visiting my better halfs family in Burnley, so on friday while my darling went shopping with her mother, I also went shopping, went to chestertools and then went for a rummage in RDG ( nice people there, very friendly )

Tim

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2009, 11:09:05 AM »
Oh you took the car, and there was me thinking you carrying it home..... :doh:

We're a bit tight at this end see, don't have the wealth you Irish have so we go by foot.

Not that I've ever been to Ireland mind ...  :coffee:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2009, 11:19:21 AM »
We're a bit tight at this end see, don't have the wealth you Irish have so we go by foot.

True, true  ::) the problem is we keep drinking it all  :lol: Whiskey was created to prevent the Irish from ruling the world, and it's worked too  :)

Tim

Offline jim

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2009, 11:45:09 AM »
good news :clap:

first thing i did was have a search on ebay for bimetal blades for mine. got 2 for £15.

i really hope that you get instructions for the stand, took me ages to put that together (i ended up on the interweb zooming in on pictures :doh:)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2009, 11:48:33 AM »
If it's anything like my stand you'll be wanting to build another.

An upcoming project ....  :ddb:

It's about the only part of the saw that lets it down.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2009, 02:10:21 PM »
If it's anything like my stand you'll be wanting to build another.

Yea, I've been led to believe that the stand is not the greatest.

I will document my findings and report back  :coffee:

Tim

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2009, 02:50:59 PM »
while my darling went shopping with her mother, I also went shopping,
 Bet you spent a lot less  :bugeye:

Nice folk at RDG aren't they, it's fairly close to me and I spend far too much money time there   :smart:

Have fun with the new toy  :headbang:

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »
Just something that might be relevent.

I was surfing tonight and came across this.

Bogs

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2009, 06:39:36 PM »
Yes, unfortunately I have seen that happen. Not fun. The one we had had a plastic belt cover which got completely smashed off in the tumble. The company I was working for at the time had bought it for some small work they had to do. The supplier wasn't able to sell them a spare cover so the whole thing went straight in the scrap bin. Sad but true.

Anyway, on a lighter note:
Here's my donkey saw.

Got it from a scrap yard. It was just a big ball of dirt and rust, with a bird's nest in the middle.
The scrappy threw it on the weighbridge and sold it me for it's weight in cast iron.
It took a lot of work to get it into this condition, but was definitely worth it.
I love the thing.
It will munch it's way through anything that will fit in the vice, and it's a big vice.
Just leave it running and go off and do other things.
Blades are comparatively cheap and last for ages. The good ones are solid HSS, so when they do finally wear out, I grind them up to make knives, scrapers and welding slag chippers.

one_rod.

"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2009, 10:48:39 AM »
Just something that might be relevent.

I was surfing tonight and came across this.

Bogs

I dont have that potential problem with mine, it didnt come with any wheels at all  :(

Tim

bogstandard

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »
Well if it did Tim, you would now know which end to stick 'em on.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2009, 12:05:40 PM »
I've had two of these saws over a span of about 15yrs, I move mine about quite a bit as and when it's needed and I can't say I've ever had this springing up happen  :scratch:

But what I do intend to do is make a new stand for mine with four wheels to make my life easier. The original stand is naff anyway and not far off being dangerous.

Being a bandsaw as opposed to a hacksaw there is no backwards an forwards force so should be quite stable on four wheels

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2009, 12:20:25 PM »
That's what I did to mine.

I chainsawed a standard pallet in half and attached four casters to the bottom of the pallet.  The saw sits unattached on the pallet.

In addition to making it much easier and safer to move, it raises the saw to a more comfortable (at least for me) working height.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz