Author Topic: Index Parting tool  (Read 30777 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Index Parting tool
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:46:25 AM »
I'm looking for an index parting tool.......but there are so many and much worse is the vast no' of tips out there....

Spot a tool on ebay, seller gives no indication of tip requirements, retailers inc here btw, you contact then and they say we can supply spare tips at £££££££'s

That's no good, what i want to know before buying is what the tip part no's are........I'm almost giving up on getting one at all at this rate....

But I want one......NOW....!!!

:)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline websterz

Re: Index Parting tool
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »
I'm looking for an index parting tool.......but there are so many and much worse is the vast no' of tips out there....

Spot a tool on ebay, seller gives no indication of tip requirements, retailers inc here btw, you contact then and they say we can supply spare tips at £££££££'s

That's no good, what i want to know before buying is what the tip part no's are........I'm almost giving up on getting one at all at this rate....

But I want one......NOW....!!!

:)

Why Darren? Having used both inserted parting tools and homemade HSS versions I MUCH prefer the latter. Oh, the carbide is okay for a production environment on a CNC machine but is massive overkill for MOST guys working on smaller equipment at home. Then there's cost. I make my parting tools out of HSS blanks at a cost of less than $5 a pop. I can resharpen that $5 blank hundreds of times, giving me a new parting tool profile for a few cents each. Crunch a parting tool insert and you are out a whole lot more than a few cents.

On my little 7x12 I part a lot of 5/8" diameter 4140 round stock. I can make a cut in under a minute, and can get 30-40 cuts before I stop and hone the edge. That's pretty darn efficient. I'll be happy to provide details on my parting tool/post/technique of anyone is interested. I need to set up and grind a few new tools anyway...might as well photo the process.  :ddb:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline NorthOf40

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:40:53 AM »
I'll be happy to provide details on my parting tool/post/technique of anyone is interested. I need to set up and grind a few new tools anyway...might as well photo the process.

Yes please!
Jim
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. – Mark Twain

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:44:58 AM »
Parting small diameters is fine with HSS, but when working with SS, hard materials, both of which I like using or even 3" steel bar then parting takes on a whole new meaning.

Even a 20mm SS bar eats my HSS parting tool to the point I might have to re-sharpen it 3 or four times before finishing.

I have to admit I like using index tooling, but then it's prob due to the materials I like working with. I've used very little alloy or brass to date.

Another point. My lathe has no power feeds, so I like to turn fast to get a good finish by hand. Again index tooling works well here over HSS.

It's just a preference on my part.... :)

But I would like to see how you go about it, maybe I can change..... :ddb:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:50:59 AM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:57:23 AM »
Here's a vid I made some time ago, you have to appreciate the cutting surface area this tool is dealing with at the end of the vid. It will do this all day long.

But give me a parting tool and the struggle is unbelievable.  The lathe has the power, but I can't part with the darn thing to save my life...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:07:50 AM by Darren »

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »
Hi Darren,

Do not despair, you are just one of the many millions who have a little (or a lot of) trouble parting off.
The very quickie lesson I gave you was definitely not enough.

I am one of the very lucky ones who seems to have no trouble parting off. But even I have tried many different methods to make it just that little easier.

It was only a couple of months ago that I was given a parting tool that really revolutionized my way of thinking, and it is shown in this post.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1370.msg12873#msg12873

There are many of the type you are talking about, and as you say, they all look to use the same insert, but each one is just that tiny bit different. All you can really do is to buy one from a retailer who stocks the tips as well.

These two might help you a little.

RDG has only just started to get these in, and as of yet, only has the 20mm shank size. I am waiting until they get the smaller sizes in before buying a 16mm one to fit my holders. I don't like dealing with Chronos, so that is why I haven't ordered one from there, but if you go down the page a bit, they have the full range in and the tips as well. It is up to you whether you go for those or not.
There are two types of holders on there, the ones at the top are limited in their depth of cut, as the one I have is. The bottom ones seem to be the more versatile, as the holder can be extended or retracted to whatever depth is required (within reason)

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Parting_Systems__Indexable_.html

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Parting_Tools_82.html

If you do go for this type, and you still have problems, it may be your technique, then it looks like you will be having another visitor to try to sort things out for you, and give you an in depth dose of parting off.

John

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
I have a Glanze clamp type from the Chronos link posted by Bogs.
Goes through like a hot knife through butter.

BUT!  make sure you dont stop the machine part-way through - the tip can come out and be stuck in the gap!
Not that it's happened to me... much...  :doh:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I'd seen the RDG ones but still no info on the tips. That's fine until RDG stops keeping them in stock if they become a slow mover etc.
Kinda puts me off a bit. But I really would like one.

Sonuk, do you find they last ok? What happens when one jumps out, do they chip easily......ta.... :thumbup:

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 02:43:03 PM »
Not used it much so far, and only on ali and brass.  It didn't chip when it got stuck.  All I needed to do was push the tool back in to relocate the tip, and "wiggle" the chuck around and back a bit to free it.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 02:48:05 PM »
I am not sure what brand mine is except it was $$$$$$,  the shop had a special on and I bought the 'kit' in one purchase, holder, blade and a few inserts.

It went really well and chopped through anything I poked it at then one day I moved the feed lever the wrong way and a piece of the blade went past my left ear and did a re-entry somewhere over the Antarctic Ocean.  Fortunately the blade had too ends so all was not lost until something went wrong, I dont know what and I snapped the other end.  The replacement blade was more than the original kit!  

Left with a useless holder and a box of tips I kidnapped some kid at the mall and sold him to a company that does medical experiments which allowed me to buy another blade but now I am very careful to use it only when necessary, which sort of defeats the purpose.  Otherwise I use the original broken blade which I have ground to a cutting shape.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »
Ouch...that's worrying John....... :scratch:

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »
Darren,

I look at it that if I buy 10 tips with a new tool, they will last me long enough until something new comes along.

I bought special parting tool from Chester UK at least ten years ago. I am nearly ready to fit the last of the five tips that I bought with it (now unavailable). Hence my search for one to replace it.

Tips, if used correctly, should last the average modeller a rather long time. It is only when they are used incorrectly that you start to chew up tips. I would expect one tip to last me at least a year on average use. Even my normal turning tips last for ages. I reckon I have used about 25 to 30 tips in the ten years since I started to use the system I have now. That works out to about 6 squid a year.
But one thing I do do is only use good quality holders, making my own just doesn't come into it, unless it is for a very special job where no holders can be obtained. Like my ball turning tool, that has yet to be finished. It might save a few squid to make your own holders, but how much does it cost you in broken tips because an angle is slightly out and the tip hasn't got the correct support it was designed to have, or even the correct bolt to hold it in place, shaped to the curve of the holding hole.

Just a note, I don't tickle the jobs I do, I take no prisoners when it comes to removing metal, that is what carbide tips are designed to do.

John

Offline jim

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »
Darren,

I look at it that if I buy 10 tips with a new tool, they will last me long enough until something new comes along.

I bought special parting tool from Chester UK at least ten years ago. I am nearly ready to fit the last of the five tips that I bought with it (now unavailable). Hence my search for one to replace it.

do you know the tip code?
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 04:07:30 PM »
Just a note, I don't tickle the jobs I do, I take no prisoners when it comes to removing metal, that is what carbide tips are designed to do.
Indeed.  If I go easy with mine, it wails like a banshee.  Shove it in hard and it quietly munches away.

Umm. OK.  That' probably the "cleanest" version...  ::)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 04:33:14 PM »
Darren, I know I`m only new and can`t offer much advice but I did see the parting system that Allen sells at RDG when I went there a week last Saturday. I was talking to him about parting a 3" bar of steel (before I cut my bar for the QCTP) and he showed me his setup. He was mounting it from the rear with the parting tool upside down but the thing melts it like butter! I`d have bought one there and then, only a lack of cash held me back. I have real trouble parting. It did look bloody big though but he assured me it would be fine for my boxford tool post!? The actual cutting blade sticks out a good 2" ish so cutting 3" dia would be no problem for it. I guess a smaller shank would have a smaller blade. Regarding tips I haven`t got a clue but like John said, I guess if you invest in a few you shouldn`t have problems sorceing them when you run out.

It really did look a mean piece of kit!!  http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Parting_Systems__Indexable_.html

When I get some money I`ll be getting one for sure.

By the way, just some interesting inf0 - apparently RDG are about to start videoing all their tools in action and posting vids on youtube linked to their site so you can see how they perform and how to use them.

Chris

p.s Usual disclaimer, not associated with RDG, just local and very helpful!

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »
If you can reverse your lathe, you don't need a rear tool post to get the same effect.

Stick it in reverse, and fit the tool upside-down in your normal tool post.

Offline websterz

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »
If you can reverse your lathe, you don't need a rear tool post to get the same effect.

That works too, but you have to stop the chuck and reverse it when going from turning to parting. I have a video coming up shortly showing my setup...just converting and uploading it now.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 05:16:04 PM »
To be honest I didn`t get into a discussion about why he was parting from the rear and upside down, he had been talking to me for a good while and didn`t want to ask to many questions. Never the less, the parting system worked a treat.

Chris

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 05:23:20 PM »
Upside-down, the tool gets lifted away from the centre, and is less likely to dig in and jam.
Right way up, and the tool can easily jam the lathe if it digs in.

Offline websterz

bogstandard

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 06:01:21 PM »
Jimmyocharlie,

I had Stew look around the Harrogate show for me, even at the tip suppliers, and they had nothing close at all.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »
Nice demo and I can see it works well for you with the 7x12.  :clap:

Better than I manage which is not difficult...... :doh:

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 06:25:34 PM »

That works too, but you have to stop the chuck and reverse it when going from turning to parting. I have a video coming up shortly showing my setup...just converting and uploading it now.
No choice if you can't fit a rear tool post on your machine...

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 06:32:10 PM »
I bought one..... :) Not exactly what I was looking for but it came up on the bay cheap enough to give it a go.....tomorrow is a pack of ten tips for it.....even better... :) :) :)

A quick search on the manufacturers website shows there are numerous types of tips avail for different aplications and a thin blade type holder that takes the same tips.

If the one I'm getting works I'll go for the blade type to compliment it....

Even though it wasn't the type I had in mind just look at those tips, threading too.......if I can afford them that is....... :lol:

http://www.iscar.com/Ecat/familyHDR.asp/r/I/relation/TI/cat/2800166/fnum/164/mapp/TG/app//GFSTYP/M/tool/I/type/2/lang/EN

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 07:06:39 PM »
Great parting off video  nice to see the upside down parting tool in the rear toolpost  i am a big fan of this way of parting off, my current lathe does not have a rear toolpost (it will have soon) as  there is room on the topslide for one from past experience thats the way i prefer to do it .

Cheers Paul
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW