Author Topic: Index Parting tool  (Read 30806 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Index Parting tool
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »
Darren, I think it would be a bit frustrating to have to take the tool post off every time you want to part off.  I probably cheat a little but I often use the parting blade in conjunction with the other tools to make a part which has grooves etc.

My parting blade holder was too big for the tool holder so my first job was to hack away at the expensive metal it was made of.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2009, 07:17:29 PM »
Yes I could do that for the very reasons you mention....I was just thinking that direct mounting might be sturdier for the horrors of parting?

But the convenience road in in the balance too......... :scratch:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2009, 07:33:04 PM »
For minimum effort, you could just mill the underside down, drill a hole through it and clamp it down under your toolpost bolt. But it would be worth checking first to see if that arrangement would allow its shank  to be pushed up against the face of the chuck to get it perpendicular to the work, before clamping it down.
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »
Yes that would be the simplest idea....

John, it's only half a turn on the leaver to remove my QCTP and could be the same for the parting tool.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2009, 02:44:52 AM »

The surprising thing is it didn't like the very low speeds I'm used to parting with. Whacked it up to higher speeds and it just ploughed through with no fuss at all. No need to be gentle it seems.

Low speed is one of the things people do wrong with parting, you have to be bold and make it have it, it may moan a groan a bit but you just have to grit your teethe and go for it.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2009, 05:03:42 PM »
Just to give you a little insight into what are supposedly classed as the best parting off and grooving tools in the world.

These are running under CNC, but they should work just as well manually.

Look at the speeds they are running at. Parting off is just another machining operation, and so you should run them at speeds you would normally cut at.

&NR=1

Now get your wallets out (or second mortgages), and you too can part off like that.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2009, 05:22:45 PM »
Even with the wrong angles that was pretty much what I was finding with my new parting tool. I tried facing, reducing dia, grooving and parting and it was very smooth in all respects. Like I said before, it didn't like slow speeds but at around 1000rpm it sang.

I am very pleased with it and must get it set up properly. The tips are double ended and I've found a seller with them for a quid each so will get a stock in while I can.

I'd recommend it to anyone, but maybe not with a 25mm shank...... :ddb: But it was only £17 with P&P and we can always reduce the shank size....... :dremel:

Offline websterz

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
Thanks for the vid John. The trepanning operations were absolutely astounding!!  :thumbup:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

bogstandard

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2009, 08:36:48 PM »
I have been sweating over this for the last 10 days, but I have now got my collection of parting off tools complete, at a cost of 32 squid, an absolute bargain.

I will now be able to part off up to just under 3" diameter.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2009, 04:24:54 AM »
I saw those being sold on Ebay....but couldn't find any info on the tips so gave it a wide birth.
Glad to see you did better than I managed... :thumbup:

bogstandard

« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2009, 04:46:52 AM »
Darren,

This is coming with five tips, which should last a fair while, even years, but with something like this, they are a standard sort of mount so tips should be no problem. All those long numbers for tips usually refer to the shape of the cutting faces, width, type of material etc. so as long it has the correct mounting and a parting tip shape, that will do me.

Ones like this are very few and far between, because it was made for a specific job, which is exactly what I needed, so I got it while I could.

John

bogstandard

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2009, 12:07:31 PM »
The tool actually turned up today, and without further ado, I was into the shop, set it to centre height, then did a bit of metal wacking with it.

This is how I got on.

I forgot to mention that the spindle speed was at 1200, and really it needed to be fed at double the speed it was cutting at.

But we can't get everything right all the time.

BTW, this was with the supplied multi purpose tips. Not only can it part off and groove, it can also do normal right and left hand cutting, plus left and right hand facing work.
A jack of all tools.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2009, 12:38:18 PM »
Very nice John, very nice indeed......

I had a pressy in the post as well this morning, 30 parting tips. I only bought two boxes but the seller threw the third in for free.......what a nice man...!!

£0.99 a box....that's me happy for a while....just need to find a long reach holder now that uses the same tips....

Offline 28ten

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »
The tool actually turned up today, and without further ado, I was into the shop, set it to centre height, then did a bit of metal wacking with it.

This is how I got on.

I forgot to mention that the spindle speed was at 1200, and really it needed to be fed at double the speed it was cutting at.

But we can't get everything right all the time.

BTW, this was with the supplied multi purpose tips. Not only can it part off and groove, it can also do normal right and left hand cutting, plus left and right hand facing work.
A jack of all tools.

Bogs

Oh i like that, can you get them for smaller machines?
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

bogstandard

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »
Cynric,

These type very rarely come up for sale, as they are made by Mircona for customers requiring tools to do a specific job.

After looking for many months on ebay, one finally came up, and I made sure I wasn't outbid. Luckily I got it for 32 squid.

I suppose they must do them for the general market, but I would hate to think how much they would cost.

Bogs

Offline 28ten

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2009, 03:51:03 PM »
Cynric,

These type very rarely come up for sale, as they are made by Mircona for customers requiring tools to do a specific job.

After looking for many months on ebay, one finally came up, and I made sure I wasn't outbid. Luckily I got it for 32 squid.

I suppose they must do them for the general market, but I would hate to think how much they would cost.

Bogs

Maybe i should just try a standard index tool then. I just have a little job to do, parting off some 1 1/2 inch cast iron which should be fun.
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

bogstandard

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
Cynric,

I would suggest you set your tool a few thou high, lock everything up rigid, speed around 500 to 600 and just go for it. Keep the pressure on continuously.

Cast iron usually parts off very easily.

John