Author Topic: Gate Hinges...big ones.....!  (Read 5745 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Gate Hinges...big ones.....!
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »
I mentioned elsewhere I was making some gate hinges.........exciting eh....maybe not....

I couldn't find what I was looking for at the local merchants for one reason or another and for what I wanted it was looking to cost me £60.00 or so.
So I decided to make some from what was laying about.....yes it really was laying about. At this rate it's getting tidier around here.

I cut up some 65x10mm bar into four lengths about half a meter long I guess. The longest four bits I could get from the bar anyway.

Then from a 50x10mm bar I cut eight bits about 80mm long. All were drilled as needed on the pillar drill I've been tidying up in another thread.

Here it is drilling one inch holes the the eight bits. Two goes four stacked at a time, the most the vice could hold in one go.

Then in pairs they were mounted to the RT to have one end rounded off.

Quick clean up to get rid of most of the rust, mig welders don't like rust very much.

Ready to weld, the pin keeps the two parts lined up. When you weld one side, as it cools it shrinks pulling the metal out of shape. It helps to put a couple of tacks first on the other side.

All welded up, 4LB lump hammer to show scale.

The pic's only show three as I made the prototype yesterday and it's already been put to work

You can see the old battered gate and the new wooden one I knocked up yesterday. Bloomin heavy it is too. It'll not only look tidier but also add some privacy as you can see straight into my garage from the other side of the gate.

Just need to paint them up now and fit proper. Oh and make the other gate...... :dremel:

Not exactly engineering, but it's what I've been up to...... :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Gate Hinges...big ones.....!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
Nice job Darren

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Some darn good steel tubing in those old gates, how about making them into a slate buggy  :proj:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »
I like those hinges Darren  :) - and nice new gates!

That gate seems a bit short - or are you going to leave a peep-hole for woof-woof  :lol:

:beer: , Arnold

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:44:25 PM »
Nice bit of fabrication there Darren.

I bet your running out of metal real fast.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »
Jeeeze  I am sorry Darren, if I knew you were looking for little things like that I would have looked under my bench and sent you some! :lol:

Nice work! :thumbup:

We usually make hinges for that application out of one piece, just heat and bend the last few inches back around the pintle.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 05:02:42 PM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 06:41:23 PM »
Those hinges might look a tad beefy but the gates are made from 4x2" timber. Two strong men, well me and a strong man, can't pick them up and carry them. We had to roll this one end over end to get it in place....!!

The hinges in the shops just looked too flimsy to me. Beside none of them would fit a 1" hinge pin that are on the posts.

Woof woof needs to see a little less to bark at....!!! Just not finished yet Arnold..... :thumbup:

Bernd, Helen picked these bars up on one of her dog walks. I was amazed she managed to carry them home. Even more stunned that she actually considered it....!!!
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
Gates look good too. :thumbup:

No good around here though as the wind would wreck them in fairly short order.
From the den of The Artful Bodger