Author Topic: help me yoda(s)... does anyone know a source for this electronic widget?  (Read 6930 times)

Offline RipSlider

Hello all.

My apologies for a work related AND not model engineering based post, but my wife's company finds themselves in an interesting position of having invested a rather large amount of time setting up a production line for their main product only to find that they can no longer source a rather key component. This, as you can expect, is causing some level of flapping and panicing and generally a lack of stiff upper lips.

The widget in question is a variable resistor of some form with a built in switch. I.e. it clicks "on" and then the resistance varies.

the two key important features of this specific component are that it has two "slots", where normally there would be a shaft coming out of it. This is to allow a knobbe to be clicked into place and so be turned.

The second item is that there are two addition legs to the resistor, which are used to hold it down firmly to the circut board.

I know nothing else about the resistor. There is a stamp of "10KA on one side of the can"

Can anyone offer a source for these? Or a man who might know a man who might know a man? Mrs Steve's company has looked at all their usual suppliers and can find no trace of this resistor.

Many thanks for any help indeed.

Steve

Offline No1_sonuk

Re: help me yoda(s)... does anyone know a source for this electronic widget?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »
I do that kind of thing as part of my job ( the obsolescence-solving) .

I've never seen that particular variation before.  :scratch:

If you can get the manufacturer name and part number of the original that they're trying to buy, I might be able to help.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »
RS

It is possible to get an ordinary potentiometer with a 'click' built in.

I would think from the marking on the pic. it is a 10kohm , linear pot.

The usual id on a pot. is linear A:  logarithmic B.

rapidonline do, or used to do, 'em with a spindle for a knob. Never seen on in a pre-set, but now it appears I have.

Edit, looked on Rapid, no longer there, it seems, BUT, an some ordinary pots have  a s/driver slot on the back end.

I have one OMEG 10k Lin A in me paw now, cannot seem to pic. the little bugger tho  ::)

Dave BC
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:50:47 PM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »
The problem, BC, is that it appears the switch is combined with the resistance track.
Every pot with a switch I've seen has separate contacts for the switch.  Maybe that's what those other 2 connections do, rather than just holding it down.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 05:10:06 PM »
My first port of call would be to look in the Radio Spares catalogue but they do not have everything.

Second, I would try "Digikey" who put out a very thick book with very small print!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 05:21:19 PM »
Yup

It's just a pre-set version with a SP switch probably, a quick poke with a meter will tell if there's any connection from track to 'soldering lugs'.

There are pots with a 'ratchet' action, but they're just ordinary pots with a widget inside that gives the effect. (I'm trying to do 3 things at once, should have read the post more closely  :( )

The pic seems to have a s/driver slot, just cut the shaft, an' slot it.
Or it may be a 'tamperproof'  :D which is a circular depression with a 'bar' across it. I've got trimming tools that fit that sort. Pic a bit indistinct.

Hard to tell for sure, some times the kit has to be modded a bit to replace some freakish but once common, but now unobtainable part.

Had to do it lots of times ..

Dave

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 05:28:39 PM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.