Author Topic: New member:  (Read 10329 times)

Offline RDL

New member:
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:48:47 PM »
This is actually my third post - couldn't even get the site introduction right.

I am new to the MadModder and found it by following a link to a picture of a Power Hacksaw project I had posted on another website.  Since it was a Shaper related project I was hoping to see a Shaper dedicated forum.  Alas, that was not the case but perhaps that could happen one day.  Perhaps the Admin will look favourably on the request.

Raymond

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: New member:
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:53:05 PM »
Welcome aboard the cube Raymond  :borg:

We're into all sorts of machines and project on her so we'd be happy with your shaper adventures but you must show lots of pics  :worthless:

Have you any other machine tools ?.

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
This is actually my third post - couldn't even get the site introduction right. 

No worries Raymond  :thumbup: welcome aboard, just join in and have fun

CC

Offline RDL

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »
Welcome aboard the cube Raymond  :borg:

We're into all sorts of machines and project on her so we'd be happy with your shaper adventures but you must show lots of pics  :worthless:
Stew

Here is a picture after I took it off a pallet without a crane or hoist.  Yes I have a small lathe and mill after all I need them to make tools for the Elliott Invicta Major shaper.

Raymond

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:48:53 PM »
Welcome Raymond. :nrocks: I have no idea what a shaper does :scratch: maybe fenders for NASCAR, no that would be an english roll. I'll look it up.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:23:55 PM by CrewCab »
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 11:54:07 PM »
Raymond, you are a most welcome, and hopefully helpful member. I am sure your expertise will be enjoyed by others, and we hope you enjoy our offerings as well.

That monster machine must be the joy of your life.

If I had the room (even a tiny bit) I would get a shaper in, but alas, no such luck. But that doesn't stop me admiring yours.

Bogs

Offline RDL

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 12:09:17 AM »
Welcome Raymond. :nrocks:I have no idea what a shaper does ...

Think of it as the equivalent of a wood plane for metal.  It excels at making internal keyways and machining rather large flat surfaces that will not fit on many mills.  It is capable of doing a nice finish.  Tooling is cheap because it is made from Tool Steel as you need it.  Many people make their own holders and attachments. 

You can find some videos on Youtube.

Raymond

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 01:36:29 AM »
Raymond

Welcome to MadModder. That shapper certainly is an impressive piece of machinery. I can imagine that you were glad when you finally had it located in place. It should serve you well.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 01:40:03 AM »
Hi there Raymond  :wave:

:jaw: that's not a small piece of machinery. I look forward to hearing more about what you can make with it.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 04:33:44 AM »
Raymond, I was looking at a 24" shaper face to face recently and comparing with my 7" shaper back home.....that's not a tool....it's a weapon...very nice indeed. Bet you can do some stuff with that...!!

:worthless: 
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 10:39:12 AM »
Well, we aren't shaper dedicated.... but we are more than willing to discuss!

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 02:33:52 PM »
I was hoping to see a Shaper dedicated forum. 

I would imagine if sufficient interest were generated, it would receive due consideration  :smart:

anyway Raymond, please tell us a little more about "Elliott", from what I've seen shaper's are certainly a useful piece of kit but, in your view what makes them stand out over a Milling Machine for instance ............ as you can tell I'm no expert so, it's a genuine question.

CC

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
Welcome Raymond. :nrocks:I have no idea what a shaper does ...

Think of it as the equivalent of a wood plane for metal.  It excels at making internal keyways and machining rather large flat surfaces that will not fit on many mills.  It is capable of doing a nice finish.  Tooling is cheap because it is made from Tool Steel as you need it.  Many people make their own holders and attachments. 

You can find some videos on Youtube.

Raymond
Cool, I found a video. I bet the swish swish is like music.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 08:58:50 PM »
Hey RDL.  I'm in the middle of a shop rebuild, the drill vise is just detritus.  I don't actually have a vise for it yet.  I'm thinking about making a toolmakers type vise for it.  The machine is something I traded some work for, it needs taken apart and cleaned up and a few pieces (power feed pawl and gear) remade.  I did hook the motor up and ran it tonight though, need a smaller motor pulley, runs way too fast.

Jeff

bogstandard

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 07:34:38 AM »
Personally, I think parts of this post need to be moved under a new heading. People will not look under an intro post to get technical info, and so all this will be lost.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »
Agreed....... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline jim

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »
hello, thats a serious piece of kit :bugeye:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline RDL

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 10:59:36 AM »
Personally, I think parts of this post need to be moved under a new heading. People will not look under an intro post to get technical info, and so all this will be lost.
Bogs

Concise, to the point, and correct.

I would like to see a Shaper thread so that we can store tooling information that is gleaned from old books, the internet, and of course working experience.

Raymond

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 12:21:26 PM »
Nice post regarding the tool shape - can I ask, what would it look like for cutting a dovetail? Clearly you need the dovetail angle but I`d still like to know the shape and then how you would set up the angle on the tool post...

Cheers

Really nice to see a few of us on here now with shapers, and your right, no-where seems to have a dedicated shaper forum  :scratch:

Chris

bogstandard

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 01:13:15 PM »
Raymond,

I doubt very much whether a dedicated shaper section would be added, otherwise you would get everyone wanting their own dedicated heading, lathes, milling machines, offroad vehicles, coffee grinders, knitting needles etc. which would then cause complete havoc

Everyone else on here uses the 'Machine Shop' under the main heading of 'The Shop' for discussing their machinery

I am sure if you put all your shaper related posts into there, they won't get lost, and you can discuss whatever you want in there with the people who already have shapers.

I would suggest you always put 'Shaper' in the title so the search engine can pick it up easily.

John

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
Thanks Raymond - you have been very helpful! I have saved both images.
Cheers
Chris

Offline RDL

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 05:07:08 PM »
Thanks Raymond - you have been very helpful! I have saved both images.
Cheers
Chris

Your welcome though thanks should really be extended to Mr. Karl Hans Moltrecht the author of this worthy reference book.  Google does have a few chapters available for viewing.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=dhX93Mxkxn4C&pg=PA17&lpg=PA17&dq=Shaper+dovetail+metal&source=bl&ots=eg3E-4j6sg&sig=H-4cpt0nUye3QVzdzjkuDaBes1A&hl=en&ei=SZ2_SoG6Jo_4sgOvot1R&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#v=onepage&q=Shaper%20dovetail%20metal&f=false

Raymond

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
Guys,

In the interest of future reference I'm locking this topic as this discussion is in the wrong area. Please don't take this the wrong way, I love shapers having one myself. But this discussion needs to be taken to appropriate part of the forum so that others may find it in the future.

All the great information will get lost here.

Best wishes
Darren