Author Topic: Hi from Sunny Spain  (Read 4871 times)

Offline GordTopps

Hi from Sunny Spain
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »
Hi All
This looks like a very fun forum to be part of!
I am an Englishman living in Spain, been living here for about 20 odd years!!
I am retired 9 years now from the Merchant Navy (Merchant Marine for our cousins over the water).
Served my apprenticeship at the Royal Ordinance Factory at Chorley, Lancashire, as a fitter/turner, it was a wonderful experience working for the MOD (Government), nothing but the best of machine tools etc.
Looking forward to getting back into the groove!! (See what I can remember/forgot).
I am awaiting delivery of a SX3 milling machine this weekend (hopefully) from Arc Euro Trade. I will try to remember to catalogue my progress in cleaning and setting up and post details!
My next purchase will be a lathe, (doing things in reverse here it seems), can't make up my mind on the particular make/model to buy, been supplied with Spanish agents for Warco and Chester type machines, just know I want a 12 x 24 size machine. So any suggestions welcome  :beer:
That's all for now folks!  :wave:
Gordon
There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Hi from Sunny Spain
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Welome to the cube Gordon  :borg:

I'm an ex ROF man Radway started me apprenticeship  1964.

Look forward to seeing your project develop don't forget the pics  :worthless:

And watch out for  :proj:

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 01:20:44 PM »
Welcome Gordon, sounds like you pretty much know your way around the workshop already..... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »
Hi GordTopps

Welcome to MadModder. It's great to have you on board. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. There is always someone around with an answer or at least an opinion. As you get your shop setup  :worthless: so you will know what to do. We look forward to some of all of the projects that you get into.  :D :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
Hi Gordon  :wave:  glad to see another face, erm Type-face here  :lol:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:42:58 PM »
Welcome Gordon. :nrocks: A lifetime of experience and knowledge here. :smart: Afraid I am too old to make use of all of it. :( Start reading all of the threads and you won't have time to do anything for yourself. :lol:
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »
Welcome Gordon,
Just got back from your part of the world a few days ago and I'm already missing the sunshine and warm weather  :bang: , just enjoy your retirement in the pleasent climate.

SX3 is a nice mill, I'm sure you'll enjoy it; as for a lathe 12" x 24" eliminates a lot of the hobby range, .............  Chester's Crusader might fit the bill,  John (BogStandard) on here has one, so has John Hill, no doubt they will be happy to share their view's.

hth

CC

Offline GordTopps

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 09:51:18 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys!
Stew, was ROF Radway Green a small arms factory? Started my apprenticeship in 1964 also. Bet that was also a great place for an apprenticeship.

Seriously thinking of the purchase of a Warco BH600/900 Lathe, which is equivalent to the Grizzly G9249, anyone with any info/experience on these type/size of lathes?
Thinking about levelling up the lathe, just purchased a digital protractor, would this suffice for setting up the lathe or would I still need to beg, steal or borrow an accurate spirit level?
Thanks for any info.
Gordon
There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:59:34 AM »
Gordon,

The Warco BH600 lathe you are looking at is basically the same as the Chester Craftsman, which now comes with DRO as standard

Here is the Chester unit which shows a better picture and explains things in a more readable form.

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/craftsman.htm

I looked at this lathe when I was doing my upgrade. I looked at the Chester version. It seemed like a very heavily built machine, in fact it is basically the same as my Crusader with a different head.

A couple of minus points.

I didn't like the back gear feature, it was VERY noisy, as most back gears are. Twice as noisy as my Crusader (which when wacking it, can get a bit loud) which has a fully geared head. I also didn't like the screwed chuck mount, again a personal thing, I wouldn't want one of those big heavy chucks chasing me around the shop, and doing a lot of damage to the lathe on the way down.

But other than that, a normal build, far eastern machine, that comes with most features and equipment you will need, especially the power cross feed, which to me is a must on that size of machine.
Unless you are considering wanting to do long shaft work, I personally would go with the short bed version, as the spindle bore is a rather nice large size, and any long stuff under 36mm (1 3/8") will go 'up the spout'.

200 squid for a QCTP and a few extra holders will see you well on your way.

Bogs

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 12:08:55 PM »
welcome gordon  :wave: :wave:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member