Author Topic: Iron Bridge  (Read 12513 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Iron Bridge
« on: September 30, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »
Hi Chaps

Had a day out in Iron Bridge  yes its a town:- named after the first bridge in the world built from Iron

What I found interesting was they way they joined the parts of the bridge together, they used the same methods as as if they were using wood:- Dove tail and mortice and tenon joints.

They didn't understand the properties of cast iron:- good in compression weak in tension, quite a few of the joints have failed and have been repaired with steel plates and bolts but the bridge is in good nick considering its 230 years old.

Derby was one of the first iron masters to use coke in the iron smelting process (coke made from roasting coal, not the sort you sniff up your nose or drink) he was known as "Iron Mad Derby" there wasn't many things that he wouldn't make from iron.

This is his dining table it weighs over a tone.

And his wardrobe the detail is fantastic.

He even had a coffin cast for himself made from iron.

He and his family made a fortune from making a selling things thats transformed the lives or people.

Pots pans and cooking stove

But his greatest contribution to the industrial age was the casting of the cylinders of some of the world first industrial steam engines.

As well as the bridge the museum have lots of old interesting bits of kit on display.

A foot operated forging hammer

Wheel turning lathe

Workshop driven by line shafting

How this for driving your power hacksaw

They even have a foundry and steam driven rolling mill

Chunks of cast iron, tried to slip some out in my pocket but got stopped at the gate, the fact that I could hardly walk under the weight must have given me away.

Enjoy

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Iron Bridge
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 05:45:01 PM »
they used the same methods as as if they were using wood:- Dove tail and mortice and tenon joints. 

Because it's mechanical properties are similar

good in compression weak in tension, 

Spot on Stew  :bow: ............... the opposite of mild steel  :thumbup:

as for your day out ............... I'm well impressed, think I might be suggesting a day out to Mrs CC before long, looks brilliant ............. off now to multimap ........  :clap:

Thanks for sharing

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:53:30 PM »
Brings back memories Stew.

When I lived in that area, way back in the last century, my favourite fishing spot was not far upstream from THE BRIDGE.

What you didn't mention Stew, THE BRIDGE was really the start of the industrial revolution. After that was built, everything and anything seemed possible.

http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/about_us/world_heritage_site/

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »
Thanks for showing that Stew, it's not that far from me. I went there as a child when I lived in Derby but can't remember much now.

Maybe it's time for another visit..... :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:29:14 PM »
First time I went I had to get a B&B because it took me a whole day just to do Blists hill museum and I missed a load at that.

It took me 3 whole days to do all the exhibits on the ticket.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »
There is a museum around there somewhere, or could be Notts or Derby with a lot of stuffed animals. Anyone know where that is or was?

Again childhood memories and I'm too old to remember the details. I lived in Notts and Derby so could be either?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »
Wollaton Hall just outside Nottingham.

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1037

Listed as a natural history museum, went last year for an out of hours tour which takes you up on the top floor which was never used, it was only built so it could be seen from further away and give the concept of great wealth.
Also underground where they have discovered the old kitchens walled up and the underground lake.

Unfortunately one of the main attractions, a full sized gorilla had his bollocks chopped back as it was deemed by some body that it wasn't for public show. Must have had too many old biddies fainting away.

Also houses an industrial museum, link on the lefthand side bar.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 06:54:53 PM »
Ah, as soon as I read Wollaton the light came on.....thanks John, I only ever went once when I was about 8yrs old and it's that gorilla I remember most vividly.
Me must have impressed me as a child.........maybe not so much now eh...... :lol:

I seem to remember the place was quite big?

Offline 28ten

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »
I first went there in the 70's a child, and it's always been a favourite place. as Bogs said it's were it all started . there was a wonderful painting of Coalbrookdale by Philipp Loutherbourg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Philipp_Jakob_Loutherbourg_d._J._002.jpg
it must have been an incredible place at the start of the nineteenth century
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »
Every time I see that, I think it must have been hell for anyone to live and work their.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline 28ten

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 05:16:40 PM »
Every time I see that, I think it must have been hell for anyone to live and work their.

Stew
Absolutely  :bugeye:  but i would still love to see what it was like
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »
Stew

Thanks for showing us Iron Bridge. I shall be doing more searching for info on it now that I know about it. Unfortunately I can't just go for a short drive and drop in on it like some on my MadModder brothers can so will have to do it the internet way. :clap: :clap:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
Just think Don,

All the stuff we play about with today all started in that little river valley. If it wasn't for that, we might be driving around in Fred Flintstone cars.

When I used to go fishing there, I was always in awe of what the place represented, and that was well before it was recognised as a world heritage site, with museums and such.

There has been so much written about the place, you will have little trouble in visualising being there yourself.

John

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 02:08:04 PM »
I've always wanted to see that! I reckon it is as much art as anything Michaelangelo or Raphael made, and much more than a lot of modern stuff (Damien Hirst etc.). It is amazing what these guys did in terms of pushing the boundaries of what they knew.

I love the series "Industrial Revelations with Mark Williams", he really loves his subject and has a great way of bringing the information to a new audience. He is very good at pointing out strange facs, such as the cast iron aquaduct which used a mixture of cotton, oxblood and lead as the sealing putty between the cast sections, and still carries water without leaking. Seeing how these guys adapted their older technology to make it work with the new materials makes me wish I was around then.

I'd like to think that if civilisation as we know it was to end, I'd have the gumption to try to make things work in a similar trial and error way that helped these guys make their great advancements.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »
If it wasn't for the Victorians we would be in the shït, literally.
They designed and built all the sewerage works, tunnels that are still in use today, all we do today is parch up what's fell off in the last 100 years.
They had a flair for style and design, none of this designed down to the last gram of metal saved but typical belt and braces "If it looked right it was right "

John S.
John Stevenson