Author Topic: New Old Lathe  (Read 41373 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: New Old Lathe
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 02:46:38 PM »
Thanks John, that's pretty much how I imagined it. Guess I'd prefer to keep it imperial too though in this case.

Just add a DRO,  :) gotta be the easiest way out to know were you are.  :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Fred Bloggs

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 04:37:14 AM »

It isn't an ML2 Fred, that had the ends sweeping in to one large foot  at the headstock end of the casting. It also never had a power cross feed. I actually restored one a few years ago.

Sorry Bogs, I should have checked my info before I went and put a post on the site . Seeing the other pictures that Gerhard thas posted confirms my error :doh:

Fred
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 04:39:08 AM by Fred Bloggs »

bogstandard

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »
Don't worry about it Fred, we all get something wrong sometime or other.

We wouldn't be human if we didn't.

In fact I have been called sub human many times.

Bogs

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »
Can anybody help Im looking for BA and BSF bolts???? pref of the net ????
Have tried ebay and limited sizes available but not many.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 10:46:56 AM »
Gerhart

Some BA stuff advertised in ME, Emkay etc. Look on ME suppliers sites.

Try this co. for BSF

If you just want a few, they are useful, a friend uses them.

http://www.namrick.co.uk/browse.asp

Not cheap tho'. But then, what is.

Dave BC
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:49:26 AM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:14:09 AM by tinkerer »
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »
Thank for the links have found the ones I think they are so will order and try 0BA /2BA 5/16 BSF and 3/8 BSF????? - They are expensive!!!!

Progres on the lathe clean up going ok and a lot of the bits that I was worried about are looking fine again and there is going to be very little that I will need to remake.

The cross and topslide are the bigest problems.  1  I desided to keep the wheels that the old owner put on as they seem to be a good idea even if not the propper ones ( as we dont know what lathe it is we dont know what the propper ones are)

2  Both the cros and the top slide has no scales both has 20 TPI treads so will need to make scales but I dont know imperial scales so please if someone could see if they have a 20 TPI tread feedscrew and see how many increments is on the scale?????  Maybe a photo as wel please.

So now im stuck untill some bolt arrive.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 04:12:51 PM »
You are doing a super job on that. Glad I could help with the fasteners. Can you put a picture of a side view of the legs in a post? We will put a name to the lathe in time.
Tink

Offline HENNEGANOL

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 06:50:28 PM »
Gerhard,

A 20 tpi thread  means that you need to turn the handle 20 times to move one inch, one turn will move it 0.050". So if your scale is large enough to take 50 divisions each division will be .001" or one thousanth of an inch.  Which is the standard on most imperial lathes.

However what you must remember is that each 0.001" of cut applied by the cross slide will reduce the diameter of the workpiece by 0.002".

Gerald

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
WOW, what a shiny blue!

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline kvom

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 07:14:55 AM »
Gerhard,

A 20 tpi thread  means that you need to turn the handle 20 times to move one inch, one turn will move it 0.050". So if your scale is large enough to take 50 divisions each division will be .001" or one thousanth of an inch.  Which is the standard on most imperial lathes.

However what you must remember is that each 0.001" of cut applied by the cross slide will reduce the diameter of the workpiece by 0.002".

Gerald

Or you could possibly have 100 divisions so that each was .001" of diameter.

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »
Thanks everbody- I am enjoying this a LOT.

Bernd the blue is the only blue metal enamel I had in the Shed But Im liking it more and more.  The lathe had a dark but dull blue before so it is as close as I could to keep it the same without breaking the bank.

THe bolts I ordered came today and not one fitted???????

They are the right size but the trheads are wrong.

THey are not metric BA or BSF -That leaves BSW or are there other standards it could be????

Gerald and KVOM the cross slide could possible take a 100 div and the topslide should be able to do 50 so that is what I would try for.  Are they Just normal long lines on the 10's and 5's or ar they different.

Thanks for eveybody that has helped so far if I haven't  said before.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »
Gerhard, the threads on the lathe are likely to be BSW if it's British.  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »
Gerhard

Just to confuse you more, I think you need to establish what any existing (preferably known to be original) screwed components are.

You assume the lathe is British. Probably true, but not certain. If the lathe is from the early part of last century, there were a lot of imports from the USA and the continent.

Up to 20 years ago, I knew of a (Hugh? Hugo? ) DALTON lathe which came to UK in 1917 via the US Army. This would probably have ASME? threads of the standard that pre-dates SAE. According to it's  owner it was quite common for these to be still in existance.

Bit larger than yours, but not much.

No, I don't know what happened to it  :scratch:

Do you have a screw pitch gauge ? I think you may need one.

Dave BC

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »
Dave

Everything i have is metric ever the 2 braincells. Exept a few ba and bsf bolts (that dont fit).

I have spent the last 2 hours on the net with a handfull of the bolts that is ok.  Measured them and counted the threads / inch ( at least the digital callipers can do imperial)..  If my measurments and thread count is ok they are Whitworth threads /same as BSW it seems. 

I will order just a fev of bsw first and try them to make sure.

Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 05:23:30 PM »
If you need any 1/4 x 26tpi I could put some in the post for you? That's the only size I have in BSW.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 05:52:04 PM »
Gerhard, Whitworth threads have rounded tops and bottoms (if they are true to form) which gives them a distinctive appearance, also be aware that if you use Whitworth bolts you will need Whitworth spanners which do not seem to fit anything else!  I think it is worth collecting a set of Whitworth sockets and spanners, new ones are still available.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »
Darren 1/4" x 26 TPI is BSF not BSW   :thumbup:

Gerhard this may help, the A/F of the hexagons is a sign of BSW/F. Why didn't I think of that before   ::)  ::)

Dave BC
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:29:27 PM by Bluechip »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »
Ah sorry, my ignorance  :(

I know my mill uses the same thread as these bolts in places, if they are of any use I can send you some. I've got a few you could say ....

bogstandard

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 12:47:41 AM »
Gerhard,

You might find both BSF and BSW in use on the same machine, or even as suggested, an earlier version of SAE threads. It most probably depended how good the design engineer was, and the availability of ready machined fasteners.

The only definite way is to get armed with a set of thread gauges and a micrometer, a sheet of threading charts or a ZEUS book, and sit down and measure them all.

If the bolt is going into a steel part, if might be BSF, as the steel has a higher tensile thread strength than cast iron. So it might be BSW when threaded into cast iron or non ferrous materials.

When I was restoring an old Myford, I found it was easier to make my own bolts out of hex bar rather than chasing about getting bolts with the correct head form, thread and length.

That has most probably confused you even more.

Bogs

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2009, 05:57:44 AM »
Bolts all look to be made for job no (shop bolts)  Will try BSW and report back.

Tinkerer the legs have "NO5 gap lathe WF&J Barnes C: ROCKFORD ILL USA" on but htey dont fit the lathe also some of the bit that come with the lathe is in their catalogue See post about toolpost turret.

The lathe has a lot to remind me of the T.Taylor of chester Manchester ones on tony site (I will get some pics of the simmularities and post them but is a later and a lot more advanced one that in tony's website.  The problem is that the name on the T.Taylor one's  is cast into the little legs and mine has donned some American feet.

The leadscrew is 4TPI and 1"diameter
The gears I finnally checked and measured as DP 14 gears with 5/8 bore and 1/8 keyway. and I have Sizes 21 22 23 24 30 35 40 45 55 60 65 70 80 85 95 and 100    IS that a set or some missing?

Gerhard
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:25:56 AM by geroli »
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »
Just a progress report.

The BSW bolt finally came and the thread is correct 5/16 and 3/8 BSW but the bolts wont do untill I have cut the hex heads smaller.Some I will need to buy some dies and remake completely as the space they have to fit in is just so precise that I coulnt modify the standard ones enough.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 04:07:44 PM »
The Cross slide is now working.  I made a wooden handle for the cross slide wheel to try to look more like the origional as seen in pic the sling with the wooden knob is the origional but wont work as the mods on the rest of the machine interfers with the sling.

And the legs has been cleaned to bare metal and painted blue as wel.  The big chunk of steel over the top is to give beter working hight for my lenght (It was part of the bank door frame)

For the top slide there are a few different attachments, that was perfect for a QCTP  so made the pillar  to see if it has the space and it looks OK.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2009, 04:57:12 PM »
Moving right along with it. Looks great. If that wheel is original, there has to be some clues as to the brand in the symbol and words on it. I can't quite makes them out in the pic. One looks to be a symbol and another p?G/6 360. Can't make out any thing on the other spoke.
Tink

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »
Tink

Not original I think, words are probably 'Picador England'... 'Fig 360'

Picador made pulleys etc. was like an OEM manufacturer

Here you go, no website it seems

http://www.engnet.co.uk/c/f.aspx/PIC001

Or, if I look properly    ::)

http://www.picadoreng.co.uk/

Dave BC
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:15:29 PM by Bluechip »