Author Topic: Dovetail Cutter...Failed...  (Read 27935 times)

Offline J. Tranter

Re: Dovetail Cutter...Failed...
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to do some thing like this? http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Tooling/GiantToolHolder/giantholder.html

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 05:02:47 AM »
Yes I did mention that before, it would probably be a lot more secure with less overhang from the toolpost.......but you know how we like to fiddle, practise dovetails now, make a whole lathe later..... :lol:

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 12:44:21 PM »

To continue I reduced the shank size of the tool

Machined a slot in the holder

Drilled and tapped 5mm (the back gear is nice for tapping...)

And here we are

I added a step to lower the tool further as needed

And it's nice and snug and rather helpfully dead on square..... :ddb:, scuse the swarf, I didn't notice it when I took the picture.

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline websterz

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 02:53:50 PM »
Nicely done!

Have a nice bunch o' nanas    :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 06:29:53 PM »
Thanks, my main aim was to keep as much rigidity as possible. Hence only removing material from one small area of the tool shank. As it still retains a full L shape it should keep most of it's strength.

The other consideration was to be able to drop in in and bed fully to all surfaces. Not only does this keep it spot on square it also locks up as one thereby not just relying on the dovetails for support/rigidity.

I can say it seems to have worked. Like Johns it cut's like butter at high speed. The tips also allow normal facing and turning as well. There are many different types of tips available for all sorts of jobs, inc threading.....I have to say this was a good investment, not that it cost much.

I'm chuffed with the outcome.... :)

While I was making it my millers power transverse packed in........ :doh: So this evening I've been stripping it down to find the cause. Turned out to be a loose grub screw in the gearbox. I had to strip the whole thing down to its component parts, of which there are a lot...!! to get at the first assembly item this grub screw....!! just the way init... :doh:

Glad to say all fixed and back together now...... :nrocks:

bogstandard

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 07:05:12 PM »
Darren,

Can you tell me who your tip supplier is please.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 07:09:55 PM »
This Chap, though I bought them direct not off Ebay. Same tips though....he seems to sell surplus stock and can't get everything cos I asked about some CMMT060402's and he didn't have any nor suggested he would get some in.

I think the third box was his last and that's why he chucked it in? I'm only guessing there though as he didn't mention it.

So a bit pot luck really.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180408942832&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:11:58 PM by Darren »

bogstandard

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 05:36:02 AM »
Thanks Darren,

He has got nothing for sale at the moment.

I noticed that he is using the trick of cheap prices and massive postal charges. If they do that, I just won't touch them.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 05:40:09 AM »
John it wouldn't have mattered if he charged me £12.00 postage for each box at 99p a box. But he didn't, he combines the postage costs.

Directly he charged me a fiver for the three boxes.

I think you will find that a lot of sellers today only use Ebay to advertise, go direct and you often can get much better deals.

I've mentioned this before, Ebay has become an unsafe place for traders, many don't want ebay sales, just the advertisement.

I believe another member here is heading the same way with a new web site?

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 06:11:33 AM »
John,
I noticed the tip seller has put up 3 new pages of auctions. Might be worth giving him a shout with your requirements and see if he has what you require.

I also noticed he has put up an alternative for my holder partic suited for very hard materials so I might get some to give them a go...

http://www.iscar.com/Ecat/item.asp/app//mapp/TG/fnum/894/GFSTYP/M/tool/I/cat/6499296/lang/EN
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:29:57 AM by Darren »

bogstandard

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 06:36:36 AM »
Many thanks for the info Darren, that has now changed my way of thinking.

Do you contact thru ebay, or do you have a direct email address?

I believe another member here is heading the same way with a new web site?

I don't understand that bit at all Darren. Can you please shed a little light onto it.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 07:15:29 AM »
It's not for me to say publicly.... I'll send you a PM ..  :thumbup:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 07:28:39 AM »
You will notice most of the major players now have their own web sites.
Take for example one of our favourites, RDG, not only did they start on Ebay they now have their own site where they also give a 5% discount for repeat customers which they don't offer on Ebay.

As you look around bear this in mind and you'll see quite a bit of this going on. What I have noticed is that if you offer to buy outside Ebay most of them will discount and some like the tip seller almost gives the stuff away in comparison to the Ebay prices.

For the big players you need to think they are just advertising, and lets face it Ebay is probably the best place to do this at low cost.