Author Topic: Flying Hi V-blocks  (Read 7097 times)

bogstandard

Flying Hi V-blocks
« on: October 03, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »
Now that I have got the mo'sickle engine out of the way, rather than continuing with the Halo build at this time, I am going to concentrate on getting my workshop backlog cleared. All those round tuit jobs that keep getting put off forever.

In fact, this one has only been bubbling in the pot for about a week.

I bid and won these just over a week ago, when they were advertised on ebay. I knew nothing about them other than they were some sort of v-block. I didn't even know what size they were, as there was nothing to judge the scale by. Anyway, eventually I picked them up from the seller, who only lived a mile away, and with quick pick up discount, I gave him 20 squid, a handshake, and one of my toothless smiles.

When I got them home, I realised that I had something out of the ordinary. Beautiful hollow cast iron castings, and the detachable clamp arms were of cast bronze. Sliding faces were all hand scraped, and slid like they were on bearings. They both had the same number hand stamped into the base, so I suspect they are a matched pair (well I hope so, because I have based the machining routine on that fact). It looks like they have come off some sort of precision machine, as it has a v-way fitting cast and machined onto the base.
So now you have had the wherewithall, I am going to show you what I did to these little beauties.

First off, I wanted to get the bases flat and levelled off. So with a big carbide edged chopper in the mill (the one I showed you when I started to sharpen my own tooling), I set to work. Nothing with too much precision, that comes a little later.

This was half way thru, about 10 minutes for each one.

Both were roughed off the same.

The hold down hole was centred for each one and a 12mm milling cutter was wacked thru to open it up to a standard size. I used a cutter instead of a drill because over the years, the casting had formed a very hard skin all over, and if a drill was tried, I suspect there would be trouble trying to get it to penetrate.

Now comes the precision stuff.

The two castings were located onto the mag chuck of my small surface grinder. The scraped faces were put down onto the table, and I will be grinding the faces I have just milled off. As you can see, it was a very tight squeeze, with only 1/2" overshoot of the wheel at either end.

I only had to put a 0.0015" grinding cut on and it cleaned up both pieces just nice. A little bit of an imbalance showing in the surface finish, but that can't be helped, as I have no way of balancing the wheels. You have to remember this is a very basic machine.

Next up was machining up some commercial hold down fittings. I always have these in stock, so when a new bit of kit comes into the shop, I don't have to go rooting about or making them. All I have to do is to machine them, so that they hold things down correctly.

Bolted down to the table. A perfect match for the table spacing, it was as though they were destined to be used on this mill.

This is how they work, but you have to imagine that there is a longer distance between the two. It definitely looks like they were designed for holding something like a crankshaft, with the end journals in the V's, and the crank webs hanging down.

I suppose eventually I will make some soft blocks to fit onto the end of the V clamp screws, and if I was really pushed, they might even get a coat of paint to match the mill, which is now their new owner.

One done, lots to go.

Bog

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Flying Hi V-blocks
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 06:12:08 PM »
John

I knew that you would find a good use for them when you showed them to us in the other post. It surprised me that you found that use so quickly. You must have had this idea in mind all along.  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Now I can't wait to see what you have that needs machining that will require both of them at the same time.  :doh:

A little touch of paint and they will look new again and like they belonged to the mill.   :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 06:19:37 PM »
No No Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
They are crank lining blocks for a Deckel FP 2, correctly advertised on Ebay in Germany they would have fetched about 1,500 Euro's.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »
OH OH :bang: :bang:

cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 07:02:16 PM »
John,

I don't care what they WERE worth, they are now my mill's Hi flying V-blocks.

Ebay is for me buying, not selling.

Why weren't they recognised while still on ebay, if they are such sought after items?

If you knew what they were off, you should have shouted up when I first showed them a week ago, and you could have had them with pleasure, for profit or not. I knew they had come off some sort of precision machine, but not knowing what they were, they were put to, hopefully, a good use.

If I saved every piece of discarded machinery fittings that I have picked up over the years, hoping it would be recognised by someone, I wouldn't be able to get in my shop. So they go to whoever wants them or I recycle them myself.

I can show you a piece of metal off an aircraft engine that you would most probably use to make an ornament out of, or keep around the shop for a bit of a talking point. But if I told you exactly what it was off, you would instantly recognise it as very collectable item, most probably worth megabucks in the right sale. I just keep it knocking about as a talking point, as most probably a few of the lads on here will verify. When I snuff it, it will most probably go out in the scrap box, being classed as worthless. Almost like these castings were last week.

Don,

I suspected they were something to do with crankshafts when I found they were perfect for supporting the bike crank when I was taking a piccy the other day.

Bogs

Offline kvom

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »
rather than continuing with the Halo build at this time, I am going to concentrate on getting my workshop backlog cleared.

Now I have to figure out the hard stuff on my own.   :bugeye:

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 07:22:12 PM »
Bogs,
Don't know what the aircraft engine piece is, but there are people that restore them and it would be a shame to discard something that could put a relic back in the air. I have been all over looking for parts to do restorations of  warbirds and older airplanes. The parts can be almost impossible to acquire and specs to make new ones as difficult. Just a plea to think twice prior to snuffing it. (I like that term)
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 07:30:22 PM »
John,

I don't care what they WERE worth, they are now my mill's Hi flying V-blocks.

Ebay is for me buying, not selling.

Why weren't they recognised while still on ebay, if they are such sought after items?

If you knew what they were off, you should have shouted up when I first showed them a week ago, and you could have had them with pleasure, for profit or not. I knew they had come off some sort of precision machine, but not knowing what they were, they were put to, hopefully, a good use.

Bogs

GOTCHA

Actually I didn't see the previous post and anyway I have no idea what they were off   :lol:

Just having a gotcha  :poke:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
that was mean .......................... but good  :lol: :lol: :ddb: :ddb:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 07:51:31 PM »
Now we have to wait for payback! ...mmm, or is it get even? In any case, I guess, stay tuned. :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 07:58:02 PM »
John,

Words don't fail me, but I would be banned if I posted them.

But at least, you now know how I think and work.

Unfortunately, unless there is a lead up to a bit of a gag or humour, you will get me every time. I take things written directly, as you did, as a serious comment that requires a serious reply.

Tink,

Don't worry, it will never be able to be used again. In fact, none of the aircraft it came from will ever fly again, guaranteed.

Kirk,

No need to be worried, you will be able to sort it, and besides it won't take long (famous last words) before I start on the Halo again.

Bogs

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 06:54:34 PM »
It's not just me then ... I never know whether you guys are joking or not!  :lol: