Author Topic: Scratch built Holt  (Read 7153 times)

Offline gbritnell

Scratch built Holt
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:54:49 PM »
I'm sure a number of the members of this board have seen some of my engines and videos but for those who haven't I'm posting this one. It's my model of the Holt tractor engine. I had seen several of them built over the years and spoke with the builders to get their feelings about the castings and such. From what I heard I wasn't to keen on buying the castings, not because of the quality but rather the way the engine had to be machined. I sent for the drawings to see what was required to build it and found a rather crude way of finishing the interior surfaces of the block to accept the main bearings. At that point I decided to scratch build my engine. I redesigned the crankcase to be split along the main bearing line, the casting is a one piece affair. After machining the crankcase I just moved on from that point and scratch built all the other parts except for the manifolds, too many bends, and the large flywheel, too big to chop out of a hunk of iron. For those I ordered the castings. I scratch built the carburetor to the drawings but when it came time to start the engine I had all kinds of problems. I tinkered and swore, redesigned and machined, tinkered and swore some more and finally opted for a simple model airplane type air bleed carb. With that I got the engine running quite well and this allowed me to fine tune the ignition timing. I have since tried other carb designs but have settled on the air bleed carb. Since the video was shot I have machined the excess stock off of the carb to make it look more realistic and I have hooked up the governor linkage. Here's a little information on the engine: 1.00 bore x 1.25 stroke, spark ignition, splash oil system, my own designed water pump, fan and shroud. It's machined mainly from 6061 aluminum with iron sleeves pressed into the aluminum jacketed cylinders. The crank is steel and the rods are bronze. The main bearing inserts are bronze. Each piston has two compression rings. The radiator was made from the Jerry Howell design and I stepped off the word Holt on the face of the top tank. It starts and runs as well as any engine I have built. So without further adieu here's the video clip.
George D. Britnell

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Scratch built Holt
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:44:59 AM »
That is a very nice engine there George!!! Hopefully someday, I'll make stuff like that:o) Thanks for the inspiration.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:35:41 AM »
very nice george    :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:21:20 AM »
George,

Everytime I hear that engine run I get goose bumps. It's a very nice sounding engine and very clean looking.

Nice job on that build.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »
Nice work George.  I really admire your perserverance!

Chuck