Author Topic: More gifts  (Read 6252 times)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
More gifts
« on: December 23, 2009, 09:19:55 PM »
As the silly season is upon us, it's time for the gift giving tradition.  Some people are harder to buy for than others, and I absolutely refuse to give gift cards, as that seems to me just a cop-out.  So, I've been making pens and pencils.  Wood body, and a small, fairly inexpensive kit (I use Woodcraft, only because it's close), and there are many different styles and finishes.  You can buy the kits online quite cheaply (less than $2 each in larger quantities.  And, hey, who can't use a nice pen?

I think I showded the first one in someone elses's thread a while back.  Made 2 pencils for my boss and coworker, and the maple body is scraps from the custom made engineering table we had built.  So, they match.  Both receipients were quite pleased, and have been using them daily for the past few days.

Then the maintenance guy - who actually made the table - and was the one to give me the scrap pieces jokingly asked for his pen.  Now, Bill and I are good friends, and we tease each other constantly.  So, in the spirit of good natured ribbing, I decided to make him his own "special pen".  It's made of the same maple, but instead of a pen or pencil kit, I snagged one of my son's crayons.  It has an o-ring for the center ferrule, and the wing nut on the end serves to advance the crayon as it wears down.  I present the maintenance man marker:

I'll present it to him in front of the guys tomorrow at break.  I'm sure we'll all get a good chuckle out of Bill finally having a writing instrument to match his lofty writing skills.

Edit: I know spele two gud.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:24:02 PM by rleete »
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: More gifts
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 01:21:32 AM »
If I showed up to work with a crayon marker like that I'd have to make 50 of them LOL Thanks for sharing that.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »
Roger,

I had forgotten about Woodcraft. Thanks for the reminder. You just helped out with some some gifts for next year.

Bernd

Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 01:09:27 PM »
Bang up job there. That crayon pen is priceless :clap:
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »
Well done sir those pieces are fine and a joy to look at. I believe tacking time to make things for others is priceless truly a gift from the heart.    Enjoy your Christmas.   Anthony
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 09:44:03 PM »
Top prezzies Roger  :thumbup:

Love the crayon!

Pens never really caught my imagination..... They have now..... I might have to invest in one of these kits?

But only after my project list is at nil!

Very nice finish too  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!