Author Topic: Hello From Missouri  (Read 4299 times)

Offline 75Plus

Hello From Missouri
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »
I am a retired maintenance superintendent working on my 16th year of being happily unemployed. Prior to retirement I always had access to several fully equipped machine shops as well as electrical/electronic test and repair facilities. Once retired I missed the tools so I set out to accumulate my own. I currently   have a 12 X 36 Chinese lathe, an X2 mill, two drill presses and a bench grinder/polisher. I also have a table saw, miter saw , router and a bandsaw on the wood side of my shop. I also have a well equipped electronics bench.

I have had a series of hobbies including building and hunting with black powder firearms, repairing and restoring antique clocks, amateur radio and home gunsmithing and reloading.

I designed and build a tool for use in servicing the mainsprings in antique clocks. Along with supplying complete units I also furnish, free, complete drawings for those who wish to make their own. The tool is mostly wood with a few metal components. I furnish the metal parts for those who do not have metal working capabilities.

My grandson sent me a web page of aftermarket shifter knobs for his car and asked if I could make one. So far I have made three with more planned. Needless to say he is the envy of his group. The shifter knobs are what brought to this forum. I was looking for a ball turner, which I found and built. I am currently attempting to adapt it to the mill. I think working in close proximity to the spindle is safer than working close to a lathe chuck.

My latest project is machining stainless steel base plates for the magazines of stainless pistols made by CZ. The OEM magazines are blued steel. I think stainless looks better.

I am looking forward to learning much from this site and hope to be able to contribute.

I am looking forward to my 76th winter thus my screen name.

Joe

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Hello From Missouri
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:19:35 PM »
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the collective.  :borg:

Looks like your well equipped to fit right in with the group with all those talents.  :headbang:

Of course now we want to see some of those projects. So lets see some of the stuff you've made in the appropriate sections of the forum. We like lot's of pictures and if yo don't you'll get one of these.  :worthless:

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 04:00:30 AM »
Hi there Joe  :wave: Welcome aboard, you will fit right in here.

Of course now we want to see some of those projects. So lets see some of the stuff you've made in the appropriate sections of the forum. We like lot's of pictures and if yo don't you'll get one of these.  :worthless:

I second that sentiment, we want to see pictures of your projects.  :worthless:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 02:17:46 AM »
 :wave:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 02:59:14 AM »
Hi Joe

Glad to see that you have joined up and posted. It sounds like you have a pretty good setup in the shop for anything you might want in metal or wood. Also sounds like you have this retirement bit down pat as it sounds like you have a few years experience at it. I hope you get a lot more years to extend that experience. When you get a chance it would be nice to see some of the projects that you have been working on. :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:39:40 AM »
Hi Joe

welcome aboard the cube  :borg: seemed to have missed you sorry about that, sounds like your well kitted out, don't forget we like pics

:worthless: and watch out for the dreaded  :proj:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 09:05:27 AM »
Welcome Joe,
We are addicted to pics and need a daily fix. Needless to say  :nrocks: and :worthless:
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 01:45:05 PM »
Hi Joe

Welcome aboard, good to hear you are enjoying a long retirement, I hope you have many, many more years at it  :thumbup:

Sounds like you have a lot to share as well, look forward to chatting ............... take care.

CC

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
Hi there Joe!

Welcome to the collective :borg:

We look forward to your 76th as well. Got all kinds of cool stuff to make!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.