Author Topic: Polishing Metal  (Read 4030 times)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
Polishing Metal
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:11:30 AM »
I know there's been a lot of advice on blinging on this forum, I've just found a rather long post on the subject on a different forum, not sure whether it's been mentioned before but here it is.

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=4005471

I found it via HMEM, a guy and his father had made a rather nice flame gulper here: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=6360.0 people commented on the finish at which point his father revealed himself as the king of bling and referred to the post above.

It echos a lot of the stuff bogs and other people have said about polishing. There's a lot of info, it's in a sort of tutorial format with lots of pics to go with it.

Nick

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Polishing Metal
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 08:23:39 AM »
people commented on the finish at which point his father revealed himself as the king of bling...

Ralph has a son?    :D
Creating scrap, one part at a time

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:59:04 AM »
I read all that lot yesterday, and he sure does have a lot to say for himself.

I don't know if any of you have seen Ralph's vid. Hardly any words, but you will learn a lot more in a few minutes than that chappie will spout out in hours.

Bogs

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:21:01 PM »
I see the video above the wheel is going too slow 600rpm and he's loading it up with too much compound. Here is a good site for newcomers to polishing.
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

I don't mind small thing but the truck gets monotonous.
Davo

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »
John has a dam good point guys, do a search of some of Ralph's (Divided He ad) 's posts ........ he is the king of bling and ........  makes it look pretty easy  :dremel:

CC

just pay me later Ralph  ::)

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »
Davo,

Ralph, in his vid, tells you to visit the Caswell site.

The loading of the soap is a personal preference thing and is done to achieve what is necessary.

I have watched professional polishers in Rolls Royce, where I worked for a time, polishing stainless steel parts (no chrome, or very little, on a Roller) and they were using the polishing soap as though it was going out of fashion a was being given away. They would load the buff up until it was almost dripping off. Those chaps could remove a 1/8" casting mismatch on a door handle in no time.

We are only playing at it.

Bogs