The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Rotary Converters

(1/3) > >>

Darren:
Not really electronics, but here will do  :)

I have a comercial 3hp RPC, I might need 5 or 6hp at some point.

So my first question is can RPC's be run in parallel? If so what if one was say 3hp and the other was 2Hp, would one be fighting the other?

My last question, where can I find a big enough transformer to make a 5hp RPC (or bigger) without breaking the bank?
I presume a 240 isolating transformer will do if wired as an auto unit?

Anybody got anything or know where what and how?

PS, I know how to make an RPC and have done so in the past, I just need a proper transformer that doesn't cost me more than the machine I'm trying to run !!!

kvom:
You would have to connect the 3 leads of the first motor to the second motor, and the two motors have the same speed in order for the phases to be in synch.  However, it would then seem that the current draw from the two motors together would be greater than the rating of either motor.  Personally I would sell your 3HP unit and buy a larger one to fit.

Darren:

--- Quote from: kvom on October 15, 2009, 05:04:55 PM ---You would have to connect the 3 leads of the first motor to the second motor, and the two motors have the same speed in order for the phases to be in synch. 

--- End quote ---

Ah yes of course, that would be the same as running the mill as a second idler to boost a larger motor ....  :thumbup:

--- Quote from: kvom on October 15, 2009, 05:04:55 PM --- Personally I would sell your 3HP unit and buy a larger one to fit.

--- End quote ---

Don't really need to do that, I have a spare 3hp motor as a second idler, so it looks like all I'd need is another larger transformer. Unlike the US we tend to need 440V three phase in the UK as that is what most of the motors are. Very few are dual voltage from what I've seen.

440V 5HP Rotaries get pretty expensive, around £1K, 10HP would scare you ..

tinkerer:
Can't you use it as a single phase and use a capacitor to start it? Would only put out 2hp though.

John Hill:
Darren, I expect your isolation transformer would do the trick but be aware of insulation issues at the higher voltages. (Dont take my word on it but as far as I know all common stuff is rated at 1000volts anyway) I think the voltage will be a tad high?  It will be effectively twice the star voltage which will be more than the delta voltage. :scratch:

However, wont 5HP be pushing the current sourcing capacity of your single phase circuit?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version