Author Topic: Putting right my tailstock DRO.  (Read 23593 times)

bogstandard

Re: Putting right my tailstock DRO.
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 06:26:52 AM »
Nick,

No grease at all is used on my machine, only oil. You can use oil in a grease gun for pressure lubricating.

Gearbox oil is a medium weight hydraulic oil. Slideways get slideway oil, and all lubrication points get a general purpose lube oil (a little thicker than 3 in 1).

These aren't the ones I use, but they can be obtained from here in the ideal 1 litre bottles. But not the gearbox oil, that comes from main oil suppliers.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Oils__Lubricants___Adhesives_etc_124.html

Maybe people are wondering why I have gone to all this trouble just to drill a hole.

When you have a drawing in front of you that states the hole has to be say 1.478" deep, this allows me to do just that, nothing more, nothing less. It gives you greater control of your machine.

Bogs

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 01:06:59 PM »
A great teaching thread Bogs. I really like the perspex bit holder. I am wondering if you got to use your new polishing thingy on the grooves. Opportunity for another teaching thread that is greatly appreciated.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 01:40:44 PM »
Another dam fine thread John, thanks  :thumbup:

The grooved cover is just brilliant  :beer:

CC

Offline Davo J

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 05:45:31 AM »
Nice 1 John,

I like the method of centering in the 4-jaw chuck. Incidentally, in your previous post you put the digi vernier on top of the tailstock. Funnily enough my dad just came back from aldi with a set of those cheap verniers. Am now thinking I should do that. My cheap digi ones were £40 when I bought them years ago, these £8 ones look better though, wondering if I should get a couple more, 1 for the tailstock, 1 for top slide and 1 to use. Maybe I should use the old one that is becoming a bit knackered to prove the theory. It seems to run through batteries quickly and only has an auto off. Also the readout is a bit smaller. Also, there are discrepencies between external and internal measurements!

So yes, have picked up a lot of tips thanks, esp when it comes to mounting the thing.

Nick

Hi Nick
I know there is a lot of reference on the internet about this subject, but I just thought I would let you know is a thread going at the moment showing a digital vernier mounted at 45 degrees on the tail stock to give better viewing, it might give you a few more ideas.
 http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=36986
Davo

bogstandard

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 06:07:01 AM »
Davo,

That is a very nice setup, except as I have mentioned, no matter how good the machine, you will always get some rotary movement of the ram, even a couple of thou will cause a bending moment onto the scale, and that could lead to excessive wear or even breakage.

That would be perfect if he had just put some sort of joint in there to stop that rotary movement being transfered to the scale.

Bogs

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 06:41:37 AM »
I looked at my tail stock briefly last night and it' will be a nightmare to fit unless I actually stick it in the mill (somehow) and cut some datums into it! Unfortunately, on the old machines they insisted in making everything nice and curvey and there just isn't anywhere I can see decent to mount the thing. I didn't have a proper look so may be able to find a method given more time. I will post a couple of pics of my tailstock up to get peoples ideas on here too.

I suppose as long as I make the point where it attaches to the ram and the fixing on the tailstock body level, it will work and like bogs says include the all important pivot.

My top slide doesn't look that straight forward either.

Nick