Author Topic: Craynerd's shop  (Read 10410 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Craynerd's shop
« on: October 20, 2009, 03:39:45 AM »
I`ve been busy recently moving my shop down into our cellar. It is an old coal bunker that has been converted to a storage space and then I`ve put up some shelves and work surfaces, decent lighting and made it a nice little work space. It is amazing how much I`ve been building up my equipment, I started off with literally just a Clarke cl300m, some allan keys and a few spanners and now I`ve got a pretty well kitted out workshop. I just need to learn how to use it.
A lot of it has been gifts from family and I`ve got a few things from workshop clearances, just keeping my eyes open at the local scrap yard and ebay. Most of it is starting to come in useful and I`m learning how to use something new each week. Anyway, here are some pics…

Overall shop view:

This is the bench with my little lathe and my mill – I need to cut down that chipboard top but infact the overhang stops things falling off the work surfaces. It will look better, so will cut it down when I get time

The boxford, computer and layout/planning area..

Got this layout plate for £10 at RDG – amazing buy as I have seen smaller plates go for more on fleabay

Grinder and little draws – I need to make some shelfs for the draws as currently you can`t get in them without disturbing the entire row:

Each draw is pretty much full with different types of screw in different containers

My tap draw – metric:

Anyway, I appreciate I`m still learning and can`t use all this stuff effectively yet, but I`m getting there and I`m enjoying it!

All the best
Craynerd

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Craynerd's shop
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:06:47 AM »
Nice shop Chris

I like your collection of heavy hammers  :hammer:

Have fun in there

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »
Well done Chris!  :thumbup:

That`s a lot better organised than mine......  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:39:38 AM »
I like your collection of heavy hammers

What can I say, I like bashing things!!  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Offline jim

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:32:18 AM »
looks pretty good to me :clap:

a real home from home :thumbup:

i reorganised my workshop the other week, i was pleasantly pleased with the kit i've got together over the years.

i do sometimes wonder if its the tools or the things i make with the tools that i like the most :lol:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
That's a real nice playroom workshop you've got there Chris, it is amazing what you pick up over a short period of time, equipment-wise.

Thanks for showing us. :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 03:37:46 PM »
It is an old coal bunker 

Bloomin eck Chris  :bugeye: ............. do you have shares in a coal mine, you could fit a good few tons in there  :smart:

Nice "Man Cave", I do like the MDF tap and die tray  :thumbup: ............. and as for learning, keep up the good work but your comment  .....

Im getting there and I`m enjoying it!

No more to say really  :beer:  that's why almost all of us are here  :coffee:

CC

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »
A very nice space Chris! :thumbup:  I assume handy to the living space?

I like your boxed in fronts to the benches, I should do that too as otherwise it just gets so dusty and untidy under there I can never seem to get motivated to keep the place clean.

The upstand at the front of the bench has got me interested too as that might save me groping in the dark for the elusive 3mm grub screw, even more so with those duck boards.

P.S.  I hope you are not tall enough to bump against that light globe, I would hate to hear you had broken the globe and got a nasty zap!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »
CC - I don`t know about coal bunker, looks more like they have been digging for it!

John, some interesting points ....

A very nice space Chris! :thumbup:  I assume handy to the living space?

Hummm, you know what it kinda isn`t and that is the number one disadvantage of this shop (but better than not having space for one at all)!! It is under the dining room, so middle of the house. The only enterence at present is a 10ft "crawl" through a 4ft high room under the kitchen. Consequently everything you see in there has been lumped through there including through a 2x2ft enterance hatch! If you notice the step ladders in the corner in the first picture, you`ll see the original step ladders that I choose not to remove. They lead to a hatch that was in the dinning room but obviously now borded up and covered by my wifes much desired oak floor. I have knocked a quick escape hatch through into the space under the stairs now for safety but my uncle is coming before Christmas putting a proper staircase running down into the shop from under the stairs.

The upstand at the front of the bench has got me interested too as that might save me groping in the dark for the elusive 3mm grub screw

Yes, not intentional but it certainly does stop bits and bats falling of the work surface and doesn`t get in the way. It will look better however if I cut it down  :coffee:

P.S.  I hope you are not tall enough to bump against that light globe, I would hate to hear you had broken the globe and got a nasty zap!

That is exactly what my dad said! So he bought me that long strip light above the left hand bench in the first picture. The globe needs taking down and the wires running to the new strip light, just need to get time to do it!

Thanks for posting!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:38:39 PM by craynerd »

tumutbound

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
How does the MDF stand up as a drawer insert?

I was going to get some pine (that's wood) and route it out to suit taps, drills etc.
I already have a stack of MDF which would save me some money.

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 10:17:08 PM »
MDF holds up very well, if it never is exposed to moisture. It can be laminated easily.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19