Author Topic: Newly acquired paddock basher  (Read 9047 times)

Offline jones

Newly acquired paddock basher
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:04:59 AM »
Hi all,

I was told of an old commodore which someone had lying in a paddock. Made an offer, $70 later it was at my place (on Friday)

Few days later (Wednesday) it looks like this

Ready for action! I pulled off the starter motor, cleaned and greased it, replaced a hose clamp on the intake system, and now it's running like a champ (sort of). The video makes it sound worse than it is. It sounds like a cammed race car. This model engine does have warmer cams than the other 202's, as well as fuel injection and sodium filled valves (O WOW!)

As soon as it goes above idle the camera's microphone maxes out, and it didn't really capture the sound properly. Ah well.

All thats left to do is weld the diff solid, for improved drifting, and take it to a farm for a thrash.
Andrew
More sideways = more fun!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Newly acquired paddock basher
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Ok would you explain to an American a bit more about the car. From the picture I gather it's a 4 cylinder automatic drive. I've never heard of a Commodore. Who makes it?

"take it to a farm for a thrash." I take it means your going to go out on a dirt track and run it around?

I did notice the steering wheel is on the wrong side though.  :lol:  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:52:56 AM »
Where are you? AUS?

That looks very much like what we call a Vauxhall Cavalier here in the UK, not that you see any now...
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
Where are you? AUS?

That looks very much like what we call a Vauxhall Cavalier here in the UK, not that you see any now...

I was just going to say, is that a Holden version of the old Vauxhall Cavalier or Opel Ascona?

Offline Davo J

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »
Over here in AUS it's one of common 6cyl Holden’s, they are also exported. The steering wheel on Andrew's Commodore is on the right (hand) side, you fellows over there in the US have it on the wrong side. The newer version of the commodore the Holden Monaro coupe gets exported over to the US as a Pontiac GTO and to the UK as a Vauxhall Monaro.  "Take it to the farm and thrash it" means to take it to a farm, paddock or any bush were you make your own tracks and run it until it stops. You get heaps of fun for $70; my son does it often with different cars he picks up for cheap.
Davo

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »
Circle work then Andrew?  :ddb:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline jones

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 01:35:57 AM »
Perhaps a little  :headbang: More into driving it quickly along dirt roads and drifting. I'm going to weld the diff solid (http://gallery.oldholden.com/Dusty+Dirt+Roads/locked+diff/) to make it slide more.

As Davo points out correctly it's a straight 6, 3.3L injected motor. It's done around 225,000 km's, so it should have a bit of life left in it. Enough to have some fun, anyway.
Andrew

Offline Davo J

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 05:33:45 AM »
Have you killed it yet.
Davo

Offline jones

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:49:02 PM »
Well... the fuel filter clogged up when I ran out of fuel, and then it wouldn't start, so I sold it. It took up too much room.

:bang: Why did I buy such a terrible car!? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
Andrew