Author Topic: Making Linux Mint 7 work even better!  (Read 28061 times)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Making Linux Mint 7 work even better!
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »
I Installed Vista 6 months ago and have been trying to get back on-line since  :) 

That really would't surprise me  :smart:

anyway how's tricks did you eventually get a bigger mill that would actually fit in your workshop, I still chuckle about the one you won on ebay that was 2'-0" higher than the workshop roof  :lol:

Bet you'd thought we all forgot eh  :)

CC

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 03:37:39 PM »
OK ................. I'm back courtesy of Linux (or Gloria)  :smart: as it appear to be affectionately known

All seems well so far, well I can browse the web anyway .................. blimey I can see my home network, and access the files ............ often more than I can do with XP ...............

OK ............... No sound so far  :bang: and not accessing the printers, but on the whole much easier to get this far

Can we discuss another computer related issue here as well guys, antivirus software ................... it just seems to take over my life and is a real PITA .............. any suggestions.

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
You'll have to ask the knowledgeable ones, but as I understand Gloria is quite immune to viruses, that's half the point of her existence.

I thought the network stuff would jump into action, must try it sometime.

I never bothered much with networks with Windoze as it was a pia to set up and failed if you coughed in the same room meaning seting it up from scratch again and again and ....well it was unreliable for me. When it did work it often stated you didn't have permission to access the files "see your administrator" I am the admin and I ain't got a clue !!!

As for printer probs, maybe the vendor has a Linux driver?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
Bet you'd thought we all forgot eh
 Oi!  :wack:

Yup decided against turning the workshop into a giraffe house and bought one of these bad boys http://www.amadeal.co.uk/xj20.htm. I still have no idea what I am doing with it though but intend to get very well acquainted with it over the winter.

OK ................. I'm back courtesy of Linux (or Gloria)
I wont tell Mrs CC about Gloria if you promise not to mention "that" mill again   :hammer:

Dave DH

So many ideas, so little skill

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 04:13:11 PM »
Just tried networking, just set the share permissions and away we go .... so easy and it works ......  :)

I might find a use for networking now  :nrocks:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 04:20:12 PM »
Won't share files on a USB pen though  :scratch: Can't mount them or something .... do the files have to be on the HD?

Offline Stefan Pynappels

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 04:40:52 PM »
Well well, we have more interest do we? Cool!

Ok, some housekeeping first. Viruses? What viruses? This is not Micro$not you know, Linux is not hated by 150% of the world so it is not attacked  by every virus writer. You have nothing to fear from any virus written for Windows, and that means 99.99999999999999999% of all the viruses in existence. Seriously, I've never had any viruses in the 15 years I've been running Linux systems.

Networking is also a doddle, its what Linux was originally created for. Just remember that everything is based on whether your user has permission to access any file on the system. If you do, you're laughing.

Printers are normally no problem, just look for a CUPS (Common Unix Print Service or something) generic print driver for your printer. A little searching will normally find one and if it is a network printer, it is often easier.

Sorry I was not able to get to the sound problem again tonight, have ended work late and will not get a chance to look at this again until tomorrow. If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to jump in, that is how the Linux community tends to work, everyone chips in and problems (eventually) get sorted.

Talk to you tomorrow Darren, keep the faith!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 04:59:27 PM »
No worries Stef, I'm really  I'm really getting into this, the more I look at the OS the more I like it.

Still so far just the sound issue, everything else I've tried so far seems to work not only fine, but very well and easy. Not tried printers yet though.

I won't be around much during the day tomorrow, but I'll catch up in the evening on any suggestion you may pu to the board  :thumbup:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 06:46:01 PM »
When you get that sorted Darren you will be able to walk me through getting Linux onto my Sony UX!   :lol:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »
Wots a Sony UX  :scratch:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 10:33:51 PM »
Bogs, Its all your fault  :lol: :lol:

First John said this on: October 21, 2009, 08:16:36 am »

..... This message is now being sent with my all singing, all dancing, new desktop computer.From a bare bones box, to being on the net, 1.5 hours.[

Bogs

Then I said this on: October 21, 2009, 11:41:32 am

Nice to see that you have the new computer up and running. Just remember that now you it can make can make bigger screwups faster.
Don

and on October 21, 2009, 12:52:47 pm John replied with

I have another couple of days getting it how I like, then I am going to try the new windows 7.

Bogs

Then everyone well a few guys started laughing at joking with John for installing Windows 7. Now it seems as though it has gone full circle and some of those same people and others are looking at an alternative option. :poke: :headbang:

And it seems as if a new virus has been formed and is spreading quickley. I think that we should call this one MadModder Linux-itus. Note, we may need a new smiley to reflect this! :doh:

It appears as if several members have taken the plunge or are at least thinking about taking the plunge. So far most comments have been favourable. :clap:

As we speak I am downloading the file myself and have been reading "Official User Guide" Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”, MAIN EDITION, Document Version 1.0.7.  :coffee: From what I have read so far I like it so will probably give it a try once I get my system cleaned up and backed up properly. 20 years ago I knew my way around a computer fairly well in DOS so it should feel right at home giving a few text commands in the control center.  :bugeye: :smart:

I have often wondered about Linux in the past but never took the time to check it out or read up on it. Today, from what I have read I know that I want to investigate it further and give it a try.  I will let everyone know how I make out as I proceed slowly.  :D

Thanks John. I think you started something good here, at least that is the way I see it. :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 11:00:35 PM »

Hand size PC, screen slides up to reveal the keyboard, WiFi and all the usual gadgets like camera and fingprint scanner, but if you want a CD you have to plug it in.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

tumutbound

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 11:57:39 PM »

And it seems as if a new virus has been formed and is spreading quickley. I think that we should call this one MadModder Linux-itus. Note, we may need a new smiley to reflect this! :doh:

Does this one fit the bill?

bogstandard

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 02:12:25 AM »
Imagine what would have happened to poor Stew's grinding post if it was left on there.

But it is nice to see how a small spark evolves into a raging inferno, with hopefully someone benefitting from it in the end.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 04:34:42 AM »

Hand size PC, screen slides up to reveal the keyboard, WiFi and all the usual gadgets like camera and fingprint scanner, but if you want a CD you have to plug it in.

And there was me expecting something from Noah's toybox, coming from you ......  :lol:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
A question On Sharing CDRom Drive
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 05:46:43 AM »
I want to share my CD drive on my main laptop with another laptop that has no CD drive across the network.

I have done this in Windows but can seem to set the cdrom to share in Linux .... just files, same with hard drives, can't set the whole HD just the files inside?

Any ideas?

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
bought one of these bad boys

TS (Dave) mill link no worky  :bugeye: ................. have you got a CNC jobbie  :thumbup:

OK I'll not mention the "headroom" issue again  ::) ................ but let's be honest ............. we all had a good laugh mate  :lol:

as for "Sun VirtualBox" .............. I've downloaded and installed it (after a restore point), then installed Linux Mint 7 (I think ............  :smart: ........... the green box thingie appears anyway) .................. but after that I must confess to being hopelessly lost .....   :scratch:  ............. like was said earlier, I was far more at home with DOS 20 years or so ago   :med:

any suggestions  :poke: gratefully received  :bang:

CC

Offline Twinsquirrel

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 03:04:12 PM »
CC

No, not CNC (yet) http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/XJ20.html I think Chester sell the same machine

er "green box thingy" is that the Mint 7 splash boot screen? once you have installed the os in VBox you should be able to just click start and it will boot up as if it is a fresh install on a seperate machine.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »
Green box is on screen but as yet I can't progress from there ..........  :bang: ........... if I right click it tells me I can capture the host machine pointer  :scratch:

sorry, out of my comfort zone here  :coffee:

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 04:27:27 PM »
I am going to go a bit  :offtopic: here.

I would just like to say that my new machine is now up and running as smooth as a baby's bum.

It has only taken 4 days. Mainly because of incompatibility of drivers and programs. There does seem to be a big difference between XP pro and XP 64 bit pro. Due to a lot of websearching, I have even managed to replace my old trusted programs that I couldn't live without, with new all singing all dancing modern stuff.

I am just waiting for the 1TB drive to turn up, and I can get all my archives transferred across. Only then will I feel comfortable enough to get back into posting in any depth.

The only thing I can't get my head around is firewalls, totally confusing, so now when I leave the machine running unattended, I am going to clamp the drive data cable with a hand vice, that should stop the viruses getting thru.

So the circle is now complete, it is up to yourselves to sort your problems out.

Bogs

Offline Twinsquirrel

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2009, 04:38:35 PM »
CC

Yep, "capture the host machines pointer" just means it will use your mouse to control the pointer on the Mint install. Press "alt+I" to release it again.

Because you are in a virtual machine there is no danger of doing any damage to your main OS as the whole Virtual machine exist as just 1 file on your hard disk

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »
All well and good ....... but .....  :dremel:  ........ how the hell do I get it to do anything  :scratch:

CC

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2009, 04:48:12 PM »
John, I like the clamp idea ............. think I will follow suit  :lol:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »
Dave, all I can say is I loaded Mint into a separate partition and it's working flawlessly. (apart from the sound)

The computer sure prefers it to, I'll make some notes and explain that bit tomorrow.

Offline Tinker

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »
I recently made a statement about Mint working well here...

:doh:

Spoke too soon.  It works well from the CD in "Compatibility Mode".

Trying to run it from the HD is a bust.  It tries to boot and hangs.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't like the built-in mouse on my Toshiba Satellite A30 laptop.

Can't seem to find any helpful information by hunting through the web site and related links.  :bang: