Author Topic: An oily question  (Read 4260 times)

Offline sorveltaja

An oily question
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »
I'm preparing an engine to run, and going to use ethanol as a fuel, instead of gasoline. What oil to use with ethanol? Other than castor oil?
I have noticed that an ordinary motor oil can't be used, because it isn't soluble with ethanol.

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
Re: An oily question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:58:43 PM »
Model Technics EDL synthetic oil from your local RC model shop is a good castor oil replacment. The model shop will probably have to order it
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »
Thanks for the tip :thumbup:.

Did some searching on the finnish pages, and found only Model Technics fuels. Not a sign about the oil. But I guess, that those who have Model Technics's fuel available, can order the oil too.

P.S. Besides the synthetic oils, there must be an alternative to that gunky castor oil. I remember reading somewhere, that forest workers (lumberjacks) are nowadays using an oil on their chainsaws, that smells the same as making donuts.   
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:42:23 PM by sorveltaja »

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:35:07 PM »
Sorveltaja,

The late Bob Shores used to use a petrol/WD40 mixture for running his i/c engines, and I followed his lead on the last one I built, a Westbury Whippet.

For running in I used about 6% mix and then 3% to 4% for normal running.

The engine stayed wonderfully clean on the inside and out, and I never had any trouble with plugs oiling up.

Bogs

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 03:19:40 PM »
Bogs, thanks for the information. I sure need it, as I'm a noob on that area. I have already tested the engine with pure gasoline and on pure ethanol too. With the same carburetor also...

Lot of testings, that has to be done. But what the heck, if that's the way to learn things, I'll take that way :dremel:.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 01:02:23 AM »
Bogs, thanks for the information. I sure need it, as I'm a noob on that area. I have already tested the engine with pure gasoline and on pure ethanol too. With the same carburetor also...

Lot of testings, that has to be done. But what the heck, if that's the way to learn things, I'll take that way :dremel:.

Just a gentle  :poke: but  :worthless:  Please

:lol:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 05:28:44 AM »
Just a gentle  :poke: but  :worthless:  Please
 :lol:

Stew

No pics yet, as I have to get the engine to run longer than 5 seconds. It seems to like gasoline/oil mixture more than straight ethanol.