Author Topic: Hello from the Wirral...  (Read 5247 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Hello from the Wirral...
« on: October 24, 2009, 07:45:34 PM »
Hi folks, newbie (to machining) here from the Wirral (near Liverpool)  :beer:

So far, I've got a Bridgeport Series 1 miller, and - hopefully next week - I'm taking delivery of a rather superb Edgwick Mk1 wot I won on eBay for £notmuchatall.

No pics of the milling machine (you ALL know what one of those looks like).

The lathe looks like this:

I've not done much yet, just been gathering tooling & other ancillaries such as a tiny DeWalt bandsaw to cut aluminium with. I did make a "thingumajig" to give me a Z-axis DRO on the Bridgeport, only to discover a 0.002" per 0.100" error in the scale! Not happy...

Here's a pic of a couple of the parts when partially made; I've since made & tapped holes to secure each part to the next. The part shown on the paper is already on the mill, see the next photo.:

I also made a couple of "whatchamacallit"s which replace the Z-axis felt scraper holders, these also hold some rubber swarf covers. A picture of the whole lot installed (I've only got the Y-axis cover so far, RDG ran out of the concertina type, doh!):

Those parts were the first ones I ever made. I scrapped 2 of the swarf cover holders, but (amazingly) none of the scale holder parts - although the piece that the scale readout fits in does have one hole in the wrong place by a few thou - just enough to prevent a screw going in like it should do. Fortunately, the other hole is OK, so the scale is a nice firm fit.

I found this forum via HMEM, and I have to say I am seriously impressed by what I see :bow::bow::bow: (on both fora). Just by reading (for hours & hours) many of the threads, I feel like I'm really learning stuff, without even touching a machine. I'm hopping eager to get going with the lathe, as I have plans to build some kind of model engine, as well as bits for my racing car.

I learned the basics (speeds, feeds, how to use a milling machine) via Darrell Holland's excellent video series. As a result of his videos, I've only scrapped 1 3/16th cutter (trying to mill a flat in a hardened drill chuck key) and one cheapo handmade t-slot cutter I got for about £1 from a second hand tool shop, when I accidentally fed back into a slot too quickly, snapping the flutes off...

Other hobbies: Racing car (Capri, just sold an ex-BTCC machine, building a new one now), Lister CS Start-o-Matic lighting plant, sadly with a ruined alternator, but the engine is excellent. I write software for a living, mainly wallboards for call centres these days, but I'll do anything to keep me in machine tools & food. I have a diminishing collection of antique computers which are paying for most of this, and I rent a big industrial unit to keep everything dry and some approximation of warm.

Now, back to the reading....

:mmr:  :headbang:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:04:30 AM by AdeV »
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Hello from the Wirral...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 08:21:36 PM »
Hey there AdeV!

Welcome to the collective. :borg:

Newbie or no, those parts look pretty good so far!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
Welcome Ade,

I see you are another nightbird, like myself.

We are getting a fairly close knit group now, with a couple of us from nearby in Crewe, and another not far away on the Welsh side of Chester. We do have another from up your way, but unfortunately he has been rather ill of late.

I'm sure you will fit in fine here, especially if you have a bit of that scouse humour, with you living so close to it.

Just enjoy what you see, and join in if you want.

Bogs

Offline jim

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:08:47 AM »
hi :wave:

impresive :thumbup:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:37:30 AM »
 :wave:
blue, red or indifferent?

I`m not far away, Bury, North Manc.  :dremel:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 02:46:43 AM »
Welcome aboard the cube Ade  :borg:

Looks like you've got some good kit round you, I'm not far from you in Crewe close to John, Look forward to seeing you're projects don't be afraid to ask a ? and join in the banter with a bit of leg pull.

And don't forget  :worthless:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 03:11:58 AM »
Ade

I'm not as close to you as some but that won't stop me from giving you a big hearty welcome to MadModder. Sounds like you have a nice setup there. Just be wary, most new members end up catching  :proj:.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 05:01:33 AM »
Welcome aboard Ade, blimey a Ford Capri, that takes me back a year or three  :thumbup:

CC

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 07:03:43 AM »
Thanks chaps for the kind words! I'm looking forward to making plenty of scrap, as well as a few parts, all photographically documented for my future embarrassment. Lucky I don't have kids to rib me...

Eric, jim - you're both too kind... but those parts took a long time to make. I'm getting quicker, though, just practice I guess.

Bogs - Not quite as night-owlish as you, it seems! It's been a long time since I saw 4am with any sort of clarity... BTW, it was your vice stop thread that finally inspired me to join, that's some fine work you've done there. I hope to replicate those handles one day.

craynerd - indifferent (Tranmere Rovers if forced to name a team, not that I've ever seen them play or even know which division they're in), footie's really not my thing. Motor racing for me  :thumbup:

sbwhart - no worries there. I'm not native Scouse (born in Chester, donchaknow, lah de dah etc.), but I like to think some of the humour has rubbed off on me. At least, I hope that's what that stain is...

dsquire & CrewCab - Cheers lads :) Glad to be aboard, and I can feel the projectitus catching hold already. Eek!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 03:21:25 PM »
Hi there and welcome  :wave: You'll fit in just nice here, just keep posting up telling us and, more importantly, showing us what you're making  :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 07:38:37 PM »
welcome  :wave: :wave:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Fred Bloggs

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 05:11:21 PM »