Author Topic: Yet more EU interference !!  (Read 4248 times)

bogstandard

Yet more EU interference !!
« on: October 29, 2009, 12:52:52 AM »
This topic won't be much of an interest to our American cousins, but to the members who are resident in the EU, it will be something that will be rearing it's ugly face sometime in the near future.

While I was having a discussion yesterday, with Gareth from Chester UK, I brought up the subject, as you do, of the terrible manuals that they supply with some of their machines. He agreed with me, then came out with a most remarkable statement.

Basically he said that we will have no need to worry about that in the near future, as machines will not be supplied with any manuals at all, just a couple of pages flyer, stating what the machine will do, and a pretty picture of the machine itself.

As far as I could understand, EU legislation is forbidding the supply of manuals with home machinery, you will only get the the sort of thing that comes with a kettle or deep fat fryer.

I can't elaborate on it any further, as he didn't have all the full facts himself. But I did read into it that it might be because of safety issues, untrained people taking machines apart and fiddling with them.

So it looks like there will be people like myself (jumping on the bandwagon) going around fixing people's lathes, because people will not be recommended to do it themselves (I can just see that happening). Just like how the garage system have got us by the short and curlies with modern day vehicles.

He also stated that this will be with us sooner rather than later, and he inferred sometime in the new year.

So read into it what you will, but don't go blaming or ranting at me, I am just passing on information that I picked up from the horses' mouth.

Bogs

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Yet more EU interference !!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:56:21 AM »
I can well believe it John. :coffee:  Fortunately those who want a manual for the range of 'clone' machines can likely find one on-line if they look.

Perhaps they have a point, did you see the post on another forum just yesterday or today concerning the guy who managed to tip his new lathe over injuring himself.  He was lifting his lathe, levelling it, using a vehicle scissor jack. 

From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:21:06 AM »
That is exactly what I did John.

Grizzly had 3 lathes that were slightly different to mine, so I downloaded all three great manuals, and used the relevent bits from each one.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:22:44 AM »
I'm not sure which way to think on this, my gut feeling is most manuals don't help much anyway and rarely did. Ok there are some good ones but not many.

Even my official Beaver "copy" manual is of little use.

Most garages work on cars by experience and today are mostly part swappers.

Personally I think getting your hands dirty and delving inside with a good set of eyes, an excuse for a brain and some basic measuring equipment will sort most things. The rest is managed by talking to chaps such as what we find on here  :med:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Yorkshireman

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:53:05 PM »
Sorry
Wrong title: EU interference...
You can be assured that all policies of the socalled "Faceless Brussels Bureaucrats" are agreed and nodded off by the national, local governements. In our case the Whitehellians. I find it always a funny excuse when the EU is blamed for something.
No offense, please
Johannes

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »
I'm not sure which way to think on this, my gut feeling is most manuals don't help much anyway and rarely did. Ok there are some good ones but not many.

Even my official Beaver "copy" manual is of little use.

Most garages work on cars by experience and today are mostly part swappers.

You are so right Darren,  my ten year our Australian Ford Ute developed a rough idle, the agents could find nothing with their diagnostic equipment but fortunately did not begin swopping parts in willy-nilly, they just said to bring it back if it got worse.  Eventually it did get worse, it got to the stage where it would start, run rough, but could not pull the skin off a rice puddings and I was afraid to take it into traffic of the likes we have around here.  That happened in another town and the experts there tried everything, swapped in a new computer and goodness knows what else. Then someone in their brilliance took out an injector to look at it and water dripped out of the fuel rail!  It eventually cost me a new fuel tank liner, fuel pump, entire new few lines, filters, et etc and a half dozen injectors.

Then my wife said "But you told Ford last year that it was worse after refueling!"   

From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 05:50:29 PM »
I recently had to buy a fairly complex piece of electronic control gear for work.

These things usually come with a manual about a hundred pages long. When I couldn't find one in the box I rang the supplier.

"We are not allowed to give paper manuals away anymore. You can have one for free on a CD, or you can download it off the internet, but we have to pay a recycling tax on paper copies, which we have to pass on to our customers. If you want the book you have to buy it."

Apparently some suppliers are just adding the tax onto the purchase price of the equipment, and sending the book anyway. But in a price-sensitive market, some are now simply including a website reference where you can download a PDF and print it out for yourself.

one_rod.

"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 07:03:39 PM »
Mixed feelings ................

The manuals are useful, for instance in giving info on the variable speeds achieved via different pulley configurations in belt driven machines, ........... and the like ..........

however nothing really surprises me with the Brussels and Whitehall Bureaucrats, though this really isn't the forum for that discussion, pity they can't hold down a proper job  :hammer:

CC