Author Topic: Tailstock tap and die holders.  (Read 21988 times)

Offline Gerhard Olivier

Tailstock tap and die holders.
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »
This is a project that really is far down on the tuit list but the lathe project has changed the priorities a bit.

I needed some 3/16 BSW bolts with partially countersunk slot heads.?????

So some ali bar stock 1 1/4 I think

This cut consentric and faced of drilled for the revolving centre  and knurled (I still want to mod that knurler and make 2 more) 

A bit of profiling to make it look a bit friendlier.
After boring the resses for the die a test fit nice and snug.

Then I drilled and bored and reamed the centre hole to a depth that would be trough after parting.

Then I parted and faced the other side with some leather to protect the knurlling

And the semi final part

The first 3/16 BSW bolt

Note that there is only one grub screw that is because this is going to be a die holder-holder not a die holder the plan is to make small holders that fit into this part for all the small taps and dies (they will all be set up already for swopping over.
The 1 inch dies will get a holder holder that has 4 handles at 90 deg etc.

Gerhard

Guernsey
Channel Islands

RobWilson

Re: Tailstock tap and die holders.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »
Very nice Gerhard

great knurling job ,very clean  :thumbup:  ,,,, somthing i have to get round to making

Regards Rob

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 06:53:41 PM »
Gerhard,

Your work is improving all the time.

Very nice stuff you have done there.

John

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:13:09 AM »
Bogs and Rob thanks for kind comments

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:18:36 AM »
Good work Gerhard

Well made tools pay you back a 1000 times over:- you learn when you make them, and after they improve your work every time you use them.

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 03:48:45 PM »
Thanks Stew

Today I started to make the holder for the 1" and bigger dies.  This I wanted to fit over the tailstock barrel as it is less trouble and a nice size to bore to 26mm.  A piece of Ali 41mm chucked up cut concentric and drilled to 18mm my biggest drill size and then bored to 26mm.   Al the sharps removed and ready to knurl.

Knurled

and profiled

Then cut on the bandsaw and face cut THAT is when it snagged and made a couple of dents thant dont look as nice as I would have liked. :(  Not that bad.

Four arms 8mm brass with m6 thread each end.

Cut some ALi blanks for the balls

Faced one side using the saddle stop so they are all same width and the drilled and threaded m6

Then I cut the  piece of 20mm mild steel to a taper mandrel with a m6 thread at the end ( taper is to make it as strong as poss but allow acces to the ball).
The next step was to face cut all of the blanks on the mandrel and cut them all consentric. Then the Radius cutter was fitted to the cross slide and the sadle locked at the centre of the ball and ball cutter. The ball cutter was set to the diameter of the blank.  The cross slide stop was set at the depth of cut to give a ball not an oval.  Then it is just a matter of do 4 cutts and end up with 4 balls ( It is worth remembering to leave your last cut a fraction short to have space for a finishing cut.)

YES I DID FORGET TO DRILL AND TAP THE 2 GRUB SREW THREADS FOR THE DIE HOLDER BEFORE REMOVING FROM THE RT TO HASTY  WILL PAY FOR THAT ANOTHER DAY :doh:

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline jim

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 04:35:10 PM »
them balls look great!

nice bit of work there :clap:

i'l get around to finishing my ball turner tomorrow :scratch:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »
looking real good gerhard................looks to good to use  :thumbup:

i started making some of those about 2 years ago.............i guess the metal has aged long enough  :lol:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 04:24:18 AM »
Jim Thanks and good luck with the BT

Chuck thanks and Metal cant age enough it just gets better and better.  :proj: makes finishing some proj very difficult.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 05:32:13 PM »
Next bit

I cut 6 blanks of 41mm Ali 28mm long

Then using the 3 jaw chuck with outside jaws drilled and bored the holes 12mm right through and the size of the die and depth to suite the die.  The one side was given a facing cut but not the outer diameter - this was left as is for now.

Then removed the 3jaw chuch and fitted the er32 collet chuck and mounted the Expanding arbour.

The die holders was then mounted with the skimmed surface and the die bore to the chuck side and the diameter skimmed and part of it reduced to 26mm to fit the holder holder. and the last face skimmed. (This was done so everything was concentric with the centre bore as my 3 jaw chuck is very bad)

This is the holder with the 6 holders and the dies fitted in loosely.

And a mock-up of the end result again

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 05:52:53 PM »
Very nice indeed Gerhard, just like my purchased one.

All these bits and pieces you are making all go to help you do even more jobs like you have done here.

John

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 10:51:30 AM »
Thanks Bogs

The next bit done today is to drill and tap the hole for the grub screws to hold and wedge the die to size.
I am using m5 grub screws on all of them but really the middle one should be a pointed end- so the tap can be opened to oversize if needed.

Used the expanding arbour in the spin index and 3 holes 0 -45 and 90 deg and tapped with Bog-water as lube.
And then made a big dent in a bag of 60 m5x6mm grub screws i got of ebay for a fiver.

Next I have to dicide how to attach the holder to the holder-holder my Idea is to mill 2 small flats on the 26mm part that 2 grub screws could locate on positive.  That would stop any rotation but olso prevent the parts from locking up as the grubscrew makes a burr on the inner part and preventing them from coming apart again. (exept with violence)

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 12:33:20 PM »
It's looking really good, Gerhard. Might it be an idea to turn a shallow groove 5mm wide on each 26mm part, for the grubscrews to bite into? Then, you wouldn't need to worry about positioning flats under grubscrews before tightening up. That said, I suppose flats would be better at preventing unwanted rotation.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 12:43:49 PM »
Gerhard, I was drawing up and posting about the same time as Andy, so it looks like the same solution.

Because yours are ali, you are going to have to be very careful with your choice of screws. If you can, get dog nosed, they have a perfectly flat end. Or if you use a countersink in the holder holder, which my steel ones uses, then you will need pointed.
Or just drill holes thru both and let the screw penetrate into the hole in the holder holder.

John

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 02:26:51 PM »
Thanks for replies

The holder and the holder-holder is made of ali -And is a really snug fit so the dimples /flats / groove would only be to prevent rotation.  That makes me think that a dimple or flat would be better.  The grub screws are steel and have a blunted point on the end?????? 

Back to the job.
Tap holding  a 25mm piece of steel made to size with a shoulder to locate to.  The size hole drilled and reamed.

Then removed and place on the spin-index and 2 holes drilled and threaded at 180 deg allowing 2 grub screws to locate to the sqaure part of the die.  The part reversed and placed back in the 3 jaw chuck and reduced to a more acceptable size.

This will only be possible with some of the les used taps as I use them in the lathe but also in the George Thomas Tapping tool

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands