Author Topic: Drill holes in hack saw blade  (Read 6548 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Drill holes in hack saw blade
« on: October 31, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »
I want to use 2 pieces of hacksaw blade to hold a ball. The hacsaw blade pieces would provide spring pressure to hold the ball, while alowing it to rotate via a rod through it. The ball (center of a mouse ball) is 3/4".
This is part of the centerfinder documented here: http://books.google.com/books?id=mdcDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA126&lpg=PA126&dq=lathe+center+indicator&source=bl&ots=c0op1r6Jip&sig=VytEsy8I0EPsmmnKQqHOxpkzrFw&hl=en&ei=uxTdSszHJcuwlAeulrk_&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=lathe%20center%20indicator&f=false

Chuck in E. TN.
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline jim

Re: Drill holes in hack saw blade
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 12:52:43 PM »
in the ideal world i'd spark erode the holes. id say your best bet is a carbide drill :scratch:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 01:30:21 PM »
Do you mean an ordinary hacksaw blade? I've noticed, that the blade itself is softer, than the harder cutting part, that is only a thin stripe:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »
Take a drill bit and mount it upside down in your mill/drill chuck, use high speed and press it against the hacksaw blade to generate heat.

This will cause localised anealing of the blade. It may go through but if not you will now be able to drill a hole in the annealed spot.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 02:19:31 PM »
Grate trick Darren. Glad I set this computer up in the shop! I'll try that trick now!

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 04:17:40 PM »
The reversed drill bit didn't seem to do anything. Maybe I didn't apply enough pressure. I'll try that trick again though. I ended up using a mapps gas torch to heat the blade peices in the vise and letting them cool in air. I still had to use a real sharp drill to make a hole. Used vise grips to clamp the blade pieces to a scrap of plywood and drilled away. The tool post shank of the centerfinder is 1/2" square tube. A  machine screw with star washers and a knurled cabnet knob hold the springs to the square tube. On the other end of the blade pieces I drilled 5/16" holes. I used a length of 1/8" rod with points filed on each end. For the pivot ball I used the metal center of a mouse ball. I chucked the ball and drilled  it first with a small center drill, then through with a 1/8" bit. I stuck a drill in the through hole and rechucked the ball 90° to the through hole and drilled again for a set screw. Slide the ball onto the 1/8 " rod and secure about 1" from one end. The rod goes through the big holes with the mouse ball between the holes.
To use the wiggler, mount to tool post with short nd of the rod toward the head stock. Place centers in headstock and tail stock. Adjust the rod of the wiggler to align the ends with the center points. place work in 4 jaw or mount to face plate, center by eye. Then place the short rnd of the rod in a center punch mark you wish to center for drilling/boring/etc.Rotating the chuck by hand, observe the right or long end of the wiggler rod. The farther the reference on the work is off center, the bigger circle the long end will scribe in reference to the center in the tail stock. Adjust the work piece as required untill the rod runs true again.Easy!

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 04:32:51 PM »
I now realize since I annealed the blade pieces, their :bugeye: :bugeye: springiness is reduced. Guess I'll have to temper them again. This was a prototype/learning version anyway...
I will look for a wider hacksaw blade to make the next version from.
Also, the rod I used is too long to fit between the centers, oversight on my part, big time!  :bugeye: :lol:

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN