Author Topic: D1-3 receiver  (Read 7993 times)

Offline kvom

D1-3 receiver
« on: September 16, 2009, 12:54:50 PM »
Here's the start of another project: to build a D1-3 receiver that will be mounted on a rotab.  The first piece to be obtained is a D1-3 spindle nose from a donor Monarch 10EE that is being parted out:

It's missing the cams, screws, and detents, but I have a line on a set from another 10EE that's being parted.  Once I have those, I will need a base plate and to figure out the best way to attach it.

Offline kvom

Re: D1-3 receiver
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »
After some time, I got a set of cams; here's the spindle with a collet chuck attached:

A friend donated a steel drop to act as a base.  It is 5.25" in diameter nand 2.25" thick, 4340 HT (i.e., opretty hard).  Unfortunately it had an off-center 1/2" threaded hole.  I needed to drill/bore a 2.4" hole to accept the spindle.  Using the lathe at school and the largest drill bit available, I was able to get a 1.75" hole in the center, but that left half of the threaded hole in the bore.

I found a good buy of a 6" indexable boring bar at Mesa Tool, so when it arrived I made a holder from some 1.5" aluminum rod and started to bore on the lathe.  Carbide doesn't like interrupted cuts, so I chipped 2 of the three edges on the insert before the job was done:

I was aiming for a press fit, but overshot .001" and had to settle for a good sliding fit instead.  Before removing the piece from the chuck, I faced it again to ensure that the spindle will sit perpendicular to the top.  Next, I'll take it to school and surface grind the bottom so it's parallel to the top.  In principle, any work that's transfered between lathe and mill will have an accurate Z-axis.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:02:16 PM »
Neat and well done. Looks like a nice tool!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 08:00:44 AM »
Not exactly on-topic, but at some point I would like to do the same but for D1-5, so if anyone knows of either plans for, or a second-hand D1-5 receiver I'ld be very grateful.

Dave

Offline kvom

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »
Got it done.  Reduced the height of the base 1/2", then ground it at school.  Surface comparison showed less than a couple of tenths variation across the top where the receiver will rest.

I secured the parts together with red Loctite.  Hopefully that will be enough.  If not, I can put a couple of tack welds on it.

With one lathe chuck mounted the height is a bit less than 8".  Not a good idea for a mini- mill.  Rotab adds 4".

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »
Nice idea  :thumbup:

I'd imagine finding redundant spindle noses a tad on the hard side ....
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)