Author Topic: The lathe arrives!  (Read 33989 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
The lathe arrives!
« on: November 07, 2009, 01:19:21 PM »
 :D :) :D

Dragged the elderly Edgwick home this afternoon, dunno what it weighs but it's right on the limit of my poor car trailer. Well, when combined with a tool grinder at any rate  ::)

No pics of the loading (forgot my camera), but once I'd backed the trailer into the workshop:

The streaks are because it bl**dy well rained. Beautiful sunny morning, and it was lovely & sunny all the way to the M6. Then it poxy rained. I was NOT best pleased. If you happened to be on the M6 today (Sat 7th) & saw me with my preciousssssss on board, then I was probably looking pretty tee'd off (that's the polite version).

Anyway, enough ranting at the oh-so-predictable weather, & on with the photos:

Cor, just look at the motor on that! If I decide to convert this lathe to single phase, that motor will make a great induction generator for my Lister engine :)

A couple of close-ups showing how the lathe is clamped to the trailer, the straps are just there to appease any passing policemen (the lathe didn't move a millimetre/0.0254" on the journey):

Tailstock - and is that a taper turning attachment? Or just the backside of the saddle?:

The space where it's going to live.

Now, before you all get jealous of the masses of space I have, and the fork-lift, let me just say this: The place costs me a fortune in rent & rates, it's impossible to heat in winter or cool in summer, and the fork lift belongs to the welding shop next door.

On the other hand, I do have loads of space, and the use of a fork-lift when I need it  :)

And finally, look what else followed me home:

Althogether, a pretty good haul I think. Tomorrow, I will install the lathe & start on the cleaning/refurbing of it. I'll also stick a fan heater near the motor; I don't know how much rain it ingested, but it's bound to be more than is good for it. Bloody weather.  ::)

Oops, grub time. L8r!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: The lathe arrives!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:23:34 PM »
I would not be too concerned about that motor getting wet as it looks like a splash proof type?  But I would open every electrical control box and make sure they are dry inside.

Othewise,   :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline boatmadman

• Located in Barrow in Furness, South Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »
It was YOU held my wife up on the M6!!!

My tea was cold!

:)
If it works, take it apart and find out why!

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:23:18 PM »
Big lathe that AdeV  :clap: I have one very similar to yours but mines an old Willson 7.5" x  36" beast, she was built in 1949, she's able to swing a piece of material 26" in diameter by 9" thick!
Anyway have fun with your Edgwick, she should serve you well for many years  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »
It was YOU held my wife up on the M6!!!

My tea was cold!

:)

How could your tea be cold if it was your missus who got held up on the motorway? Shurly you mean "My tea was late"?  :lol:

I would not be too concerned about that motor getting wet as it looks like a splash proof type?  But I would open every electrical control box and make sure they are dry inside.

Done, and they all look fine  :thumbup: I'll give the motor a closer look before I get it off the trailer tomorrow. If it's splashproof, that'll be excellent news.

Big lathe that AdeV  :clap: I have one very similar to yours but mines an old Willson 7.5" x  36" beast, she was built in 1949, she's able to swing a piece of material 26" in diameter by 9" thick!
Anyway have fun with your Edgwick, she should serve you well for many years  :thumbup:

Mine's not quite that big; I believe she'll take 20" by 5" with the gap removed, and supposedly 40" between centres, but I've not measured. She's 90" from end to end, and about 36" deep. The serial number appears to be "881" - but without knowing how many of these lathes were built, I've no idea what year that makes her. Or, for that matter, whether the "Plant No: 881" plate is actually the serial no, or Perkins' own numbering...

Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 08:24:54 PM »
WOW..................now thats a lathe  :bugeye:

can't wait to see the projects you will be making with that  :clap:  :dremel:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 05:08:58 AM »
Hello Adev.
What a beautiful mature lady !, with a lot of T.L.C it should serve you a lifetime.
My advice for what its worth is keep the three phase motor and invest in  phase converter for speed adjustment.
I done that last year on my two lathes and one Mill and now I wonder how I ever managed before.
The model you have looks like the Mark 1.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/edgwick/page2.html.
If so the flange fitting for the chuck may be your first Modder project.
I am sure many of us will look forward to your progress.
My Great love of life is My Harrison L5A,
http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/page6.html
a similar size to your  Edgwick, my wife tells me I spend more care on it than I do her, My reply is that the lathe  is older so should have more care, PS my wife is the eldest but don't tell her.
The Grinder looks a great acquisition as well, I am sure we will hear more of it in due course.
Trev
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:54:57 AM by trevatxtal »

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 05:18:21 AM »
Hello Adev.
What a beautiful mature lady !, with a lot of T.L.C it should serve you a lifetime.
My advice for what its worth is keep the three phase motor and invest in  phase converter for speed adjustment.
I done that last year on my two lathes and one Mill and now I wonder how I ever managed before.
The model you have looks like the Mark 1.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/edgwick/page2.html.
If so the flange fitting for the chuck may be your first Modder project.
I am sure many of us will look forward to your progress.
My Great love of life is My Harrison L5A, a similar size to your  Edgwick, my wife tells me I spend more care on it than I do her, My reply is that the lathe  is older so should have more care, PS my wife is the eldest but don't tell her.
The Grinder looks a great acquisition as well, I am sure we will hear more of it in due course.
Trev

The welding shop next door have a Harrison L5, circa 1950s. Originally, I'd tentatively agreed to buy it off them for a song (all they use it for is to wind welding wire from BIG (cheap) reels to little reels (that fit on the welding machines) - a disgraceful mis-use of a lathe IMHO. Unfortunately, the old boy dithered too long, so I ended up with Egdy instead. Their loss, my gain.

:proj:

You're right that an early project will be the chuck mounting; I'm thinking a camlock system, but my machining skills may demand a threaded adapter to start with. I also need to make the morse taper sleeve that's mentioned on the lathes.co.uk site, as it's not come with the lathe.

Also, a quick-change toolpost; I'll have to make it because the current tool turret is HUGE, and I'll want the QCTP to be of a similar size.

First job, however, will be a couple of chuck keys, 'cos neither are with the lathe, and they're both different (one square, one hex)  :lol: Luckily, the mill is already up & running, and I have a dividing head, so lathe project #1 will be under way, possibly as early as this afternoon  :D
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »
Hello again ref
""Also, a quick-change toolpost; I'll have to make it because the current tool turret is HUGE, and I'll want the QCTP to be of a similar size.""
I was forced to do an upload to follow on
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2154.0
Perhaps not such a bad thing as I am always slow with the documentation.
Trev

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 11:55:33 AM »
Now, I know you guys love photos, but this post is going to be VERY heavy on them. I apologise in advance to those of you on dial-up connections...

After a spot of farting around on a fork-lift truck, the machines are all in their final (for now...) locations:

I've still got the tooling "benches" (an old office desk & an old computer desk) to put in place, and the main workbench to put back, but I'm happy with the machines where they are. One problem, the floor under the lathe turned out to be not quite as level as it appeared; the headstock was free to wobble about quite a bit. So I fired up the mill & bullied a piece of 1/2" flat into a taper, which I hammered under the lathe. Result: No more wobble - although I do need to check to make sure the bed's not twisted:

Interestingly, the Edgwick wasn't made by Edgwick, but by George Swift & Sons Ltd exclusively (no less) for Alfred Herbert Ltd. Unfortunately, the green paintwork belies the age & condition of the lathe; it's been very badly & excessively painted IMHO. A job for "when I get a round tuit" will be to strip & re-paint, somewhat more sympathetically than just lashing the pea green on. If anyone knows what colour a 30's Edgwick would have been, please do let me know.

Right, on with the pictures. Here's a bit of an overview of the carriage/tailstock. I've slapped a bit of "general purpose" oil on the ways, just to stop them from rusting any more (there was the tiniest hint of surface rust, but that seems to have been from swarf rather than from the bed). The allen keys were to remove the aluminium casting from the front of the carriage (not seen here), which had collected some swarf in a ball between it & the ways. By the time this pic was taken, the carriage & tailstock both slide smoothly and easily up & down the ways, although the carriage does seem to start binding up a little towards the tailstock end: I guess that's either a twist in the bed, or wear in the ways.

What I though might be a taper attachment IS a taper attachment  :beer: :beer: :beer:

I just need to figure out how to use it. Doh!

That tool post: It'll take upto 2" thick tool steel. Which is just monsterous in my opinion.

It has some kind of rachet type mechanism in it: As one swings the lever anti-clockwise, the toolpost kind of picks up & rotates 90 degrees, where it latches. The lever is then pulled clockwise to tighten. Repeat until bored... I guess it'll pass for a toolpost until I've made a QCTP.

The top of the headstock lifts off to reveal a gearbox of many gears:

...but not much oil:

It also revealed the first problem:

The picture's not terribly clear, but that's a chipped tooth. There are several chipped teeth on that gear; it's the main drive for the mid-range settings. To get from High to Low range (& vice versa), a gear carrier has to be moved past that gear. As there's no way of disengaging, it has to pass through in mesh. Obviously, over time, the gears have been banged into; maybe an operator not waiting until the gears have come to a complete stop, or maybe just being violent with the gear lever. Anyway; I can turn it all by hand from the chuck, and there don't seem to be any completely missing teeth. I can probably just avoid using the mid-ranges to begin with. Eventually, I will have to strip the headstock & replace that gear.

The only other issue is almost entirely cosmetic: A broken guide between two of the screwcutting gearbox settings:

If those two issues turn out to be all that's wrong with it, I will be a properly happy bunny :)

And in case you thought I'd forgotten, I managed to get the tool grinder stood up & put in place too:

It's much niftier than I thought when I first looked at it: The tables can be wound in & out using the knurled screw visible in this pic:

The fence just drops into the slot, so I'll be able to make the perfect HSS cutting tools with it. The table can be angled with a screw underneath. You can't see the screw, but the angle gauge is pretty clear:

As it stands, there's no abrasive material on those wheels, they're just steel wheels. I'm not sure what that's about; maybe I'm supposed to put some kind of disk on there? Anyone got any ideas? Here's a couple of detail shots of the right-hand grinding wheel:

Oh, and it has a nifty little coolant tank with dinky drain tap at the back. I guess this should normally contain water, when grinding Carbide; will water also suffice for HSS?

Anyway, having done all that & a little bit of cleaning on the lathe, my back called time on me. So, just a couple more photos to keep you entertained...

This is the mill I made the tapered wedge on. I hadn't cleaned it up when I took the photo, although I have done now. Nothing worse than leaving a bunch of chips lying around.:

And just to prove I still have a load of tidying up to do, this is what's waiting behind me when I'm stood at the milling machine:

Now, for ${deity}'s sake, please don't ask me WHY! Because I might have to mumble & think of an excuse....
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 12:11:34 PM »
Ade,
I used to have one of these, still have the original tooling cabinet for it [ no I use it ] but I reckon I may have some backplates and possibly a face plate.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »
Ade,
I used to have one of these, still have the original tooling cabinet for it [ no I use it ] but I reckon I may have some backplates and possibly a face plate.

John S.

PM sent, thanks!
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
Some real nice  beefy kit you've got there Ade
 :thumbup:

Thanks for showing

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »
Reckon I may have a steady as well but need to get a rope round my waste and a pocket full of breadcrumbs before I go start looking.

BTW mine was badged up as Herbert and Edgewick, only got rid of it because it wasn't big enough.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline steve

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
The steel wheels you have are probably diamond lapping wheels for touching up carbide tools if i'm not mistaken.

regards   Steve

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 06:54:09 PM »
Who's a lucky boy then ?

Found these.
'Cuse pics, crappy cell phone.

Steady buried under a lathe.

20" faceplate, 12" face plate, 12 " catchplate, 7" swiss cheese plate, 12 " 4 jaw Pratt chuck in good nick but not the backplate with the rule on it, that's a big threaded one, very early Colchester ?

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 07:04:26 PM »
 :jaw:

Wow, John, that's some haul! That 20" faceplate looks huge (and heavy)!

The steel wheels you have are probably diamond lapping wheels for touching up carbide tools if i'm not mistaken.

Steve; should I expect to feel any roughness on the wheels? Because they just look like plain steel to me (you can even see a touch of surface rust)?

The "Carbide tools only" notice on the light post certainly suggests you're correct. If anyone knows where I might get an 8" wheel suitable for side grinding, that will fit that grinder, I'd be forever grateful.  Will exchange :beer: for info...  :thumbup:
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 07:08:50 PM »
:jaw:

Wow, John, that's some haul! That 20" faceplate looks huge (and heavy)!

If anyone knows where I might get an 8" wheel suitable for side grinding, that will fit that grinder, I'd be forever grateful.  Will exchange :beer: for info...  :thumbup:

Plate isn't that heavy as it's not got a thick rim, the 20" one on my TOS is about 2 1/2" thick and bloody heavy.

Got a stack of wheels I'll check what's there, got loads of 8" white tool and cutter wheels, probably about 50 or 60 or so, have to do this tomorrow as I'm not sure which shed they got thrown in.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 07:16:52 PM »

Plate isn't that heavy as it's not got a thick rim, the 20" one on my TOS is about 2 1/2" thick and bloody heavy.

Got a stack of wheels I'll check what's there, got loads of 8" white tool and cutter wheels, probably about 50 or 60 or so, have to do this tomorrow as I'm not sure which shed they got thrown in.

You'd better tell me what beer you like.... I have a feeling I'll be bringing some over   :thumbup:
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »
AdeV

Looks like you have picked up some seriously nice equipment there. Once you get it all settled away it should provide many hour of enjoyment. Thanks for providing the many pictures of it all. Happy Machining.  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline steve

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 08:33:10 AM »
The wheels will feel smooth to the touch but will cut carbide tools very well.you will not be able to "rough out" carbide tips very easily as the lapping wheels will only remove carbide slowly so you may need to get some green grinding wheels for a standard pedestal grinder for that.the lapping wheels must be used wet though or they will deteriorate quickly,it can get a bit damp when you do them so a waterproof apron can be a godsend(better than wet plums if you get my drift).

regards Steve

Offline steve

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Ps  if it has been used proprly in the past one wheel will be of a coarser grade than the other,hard to tell just by looking but when you start to grind tips it should be apparent which is which.
   regards  Steve

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 11:29:43 AM »
Thanks Steve - I'll need to get a different plug for it (4 conductor instead of 5), then I'll give it a whirl. The coolant tank is obviously for water, then; unfortunately, one of the taps is broken off, so I will have to repair it somehow.

Meanwhile....

There's a lube chart on the back of the switchgear which recommends/requires "Evco HG 100" oil, for basically everything. Unfortunately, according to Google, there's no such stuff.

Anyone got any idea what Evco HG 100 might be, and where I might get some - or a suitable alternative??
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 12:22:31 PM »
My research gives extra virgin coconut oil. EVCO. I would think HG means high grade and 100 would be the viscosity. I could be wrong.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
SHE LIVES!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 12:34:34 PM »
:D :D :D SHE LIVES!!! :D :D :D
I didn't run her for long, due to the lack of headstock oil, but tried a few gears out. Runs nice, a bit noisy but I think that's to be expected. I just need to make me a chuck key now so I can have a quick shot at turning some metal, to get a feel for her. Or of her. Oooer.

Eeeeee, I could crush a grape!  :ddb:

Mind you, I'll not win any awards for sticking to the electrical code...  :zap:

My research gives extra virgin coconut oil. EVCO. I would think HG means high grade and 100 would be the viscosity. I could be wrong.

Yeah, that's as close as I got to oil, I just find it hard to believe they'd recommend coconut oil? Surely one of the Mobil Vactra range would be better?

Cheers!
Ade.
--