Author Topic: Hand engraved windshield  (Read 6582 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Hand engraved windshield
« on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
I was inspired by the laser engraved windshields I posted earlier and thought to myself, "Self, you can do that." So I looked around for some sutable material to engrave onto my new windshield.  I came up with this. It is actually a combination of 2 drawings and a tattoo that I found on the net. I then had to reverse the image so the 13 would read Ok when viewed from the front of the bike.

I'll pull the windshield and take lots of pictures:o) I'll be using a vibratory engraver to do the work. I've done a couple practice pieces with great results.

Later, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

bogstandard

Re: Hand engraved windshield
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 04:23:20 AM »
Wes,

A bit of an old post, but I thought I would show you mine, windscreen etching that is.

When I bought my bike, it had a screen etched in the same way as you propose. The chappie used to have a rider name of 'The Mothman', and the bike was used to give light shows at charity events and special gatherings of the Goldwing owners club. The screen was lit by a row of high intensity blue LED's along the bottom edge, and at night the engraving used to look spectacular, shining brightly in a clear screen, and all around the screen edge was lit as well.

I am not into that sort of thing and I am slowly 'de-lighting' it, I must have got rid of well over a hundred by now, and it is only half finished. There must have been 50 or 60 in every orifice on the fairing.
Anyway, I have now replaced the screen with a nice semi tint one from Memphis Shades, and this one is destined for another world.

Inside

Outside

John

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Hand engraved windshield
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 12:01:28 PM »
I would have left it John;o) I am still planing on doing this but there was just no way I could have fit it in this summer. I like the idea of the light bar to light it up. Might have to mess with that?

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...