Author Topic: Cutting internal gear teeth  (Read 37387 times)

bogstandard

Re: Cutting internal gear teeth
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »
I am going to have serious words with you Stew, if you get here tomorrow.

Just joking of course.

I was in fact, only this afternoon, whilst resting in my swarf hole, pondering on the way this problem will be sorted.

I think I have come up with the ideal solution, and it will get rid of a bit of junk I've had hanging around for a while now.

All hush hush at the moment until the project is ready to be restarted.

But it won't be too long.

Bogs

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2009, 03:33:36 AM »
John Something else to think about

your cutter is going to be a gear -smaller than the hole that your going to be cutting the teeth into.

Rather that moving the cutter into the cut you could take a 20 tooth gear and remove .5mm from tooth 2- and 1 mm from tooth 3 1.5mm from tooth 4-etc until you have a gear that has 1 very small tooth next bigger etc. until the last is full size.

Use the smallest tooth for first cut -index and first cut all the teeth.  Then rotate cutter to the next size up and cut all the second cuts and again and again til the last cutter gives the complete shape.?????????

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

bogstandard

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2009, 05:03:52 AM »
Actually Gerhard, that is very similar to what will happen when using a full circle cutter.

On the first tooth, if you cut to full tooth depth, and depending how large the internal diameter is, adjacent teeth will get a partial cut at the same time. So after the first tooth is cut to full depth, the next tooth should be well on it's way to being finished.

I think I will be using something like a 24 tooth cutter, that will be able to be rotated by three teeth at a time, when the first three get worn. That way, the middle tooth will be doing most of the cutting and the tooth either side will be partial cutting, and depending on the internal size, other teeth might also start to be cut.

John