Author Topic: Fixing my mill  (Read 5589 times)

bogstandard

Fixing my mill
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:51:23 PM »
Over the last couple of weeks, my mill has been making a weird noise, but I just couldn't pin down where it was coming from.

It was definitely bearing related and sounded as though a tiny bit of swarf had got in there to cause the noise. Sort of like a sea shore whoosing noise, small waves breaking on a beach, that only happened every now and again.

Anyway, as visitors came and went, I asked them to listen and see if they could come up with a location. I had already disconnected and run up the motor to rule that out, so it had to be somewhere on the spindle or quill.

Eventually from the suggestions and elimination, it boiled down to one bearing, about the easiest one on the machine to change, and about the only one where swarf could have penetrated.

This is where the noise was coming from. This is the spindle brake area, and the bearing is under that slotted nut at the middle.
Undid six cap screws, prised off the brake casting, undid the nut, replaced bearing, and assembled in the reverse order. Ten minutes round trip.

This was the culprit, shown with a new bearing. The replacement one is already installed, and this is a spare, just in case it happens again.
The bearings cost less than 3 squid each off ebay.

I will now make a plastic cover to sit over that area, and hopefully the dreaded swarf won't get in again.

Quiet time Bogs

Offline Jonny

Re: Fixing my mill
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »
I have noticed a fair few some brand new and some with little use do that.
Similar arrangement to mine which is ok and the younger one at work which has had that symptom since new together with the nut that keeps undoing itself.
In all fairness if they were made properly they would be 20+ times dearer way out the reach of most including me.

Nice machines those 836 no room here. Wish i could get hold of an R8 spindle for mine.
Has the accuracy improved with the better bearing?

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »
Actually, the way the head is built, these bearings only support the belt drive system, so are only used for driving the quill shaft.

The quill itself is a different unit and has it's own two tapered bearings to support it.

Bogs

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
Might rip my Super Lux apart Christmas just noticed the same this week doing precision dovetails. Had my doubts the last few weeks as i thought is was me.