Author Topic: A precision tool from junk  (Read 35082 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: A precision tool from junk
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 09:59:51 AM »
I did notice that alot of the info I found tended to lean toward laser use. Remember this was 25 years ago when I was introduced to such find measurements. We still had mechanical devices for measurement.   :smart:

Things have changed a lot since then.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 05:38:21 AM »
Thank you Bogs and John Hill, I have been considering making one of these but thought it was really difficult. Perhaps it is, but this simple one is just what I need and John's suggestion for testing it (and, perhaps, checking my lathe) is great.
Jim

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
Grab a selection of old piston gudeon pins [ wrist pins for the cousins ] precision ground parallel, hardened and a surface finish you could laser cut a gnats left bollock with.

Some of the truck diesel ones are very useful as being a large diameter it next to impossible to knock them over.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »
old bearing tracks are also very handy
John

Offline ven

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 08:28:58 PM »
I have a feeling that I am being thick here. I am sure that any moment now something in my brain is going to click and all will be clear to me, but how do we go from talking about checking for unwanted lathe tapers to 'two cylindrical squares'? If we are talking about ordinary engineers ninety degree squares then do we place the stock against the end-face?  Or perhaps the other way round?
Skimming a round bar, then measuring the diameters up and down it seems a lot easier and the results of tailstock adjustment can be assessed without removing the test piece from it's centres. This traditional method seems so much simpler; I must be missing something.

Offline ven

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 08:46:59 PM »
Right, it is clearer to me now.  When I logged in and clicked on this subject it must have come up on page 2. There was no trace of an earlier page, although, not expecting this, I didn't check page numbers.  I first came to bogstandard's contribution and talk of cylindrical squares, so I checked the calendar to see if it was April 1st.
Using squared-off pipe stubs, perhaps in pairs at times, is a good idea that I must follow up.

Offline lugnut

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 02:06:07 PM »
A long gone friend of mine used to have several of these types of squares setting around,  When I ask him where he got them, he said they were "wrist pins" from a large diesel engine. 
Mel

Offline ste bre

• hi everyone im new to model engineering
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
goin to make one over weekend  thanks guys  :)             (am new to this )
Cheers!
ste
tom sinior universal
fobco drill

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »
Taking the idea of the cylindrical square one step further scribe a line on the cylinder at lathe centre height to form a handy tool cutter guide. Two tools for the price of none.

John-Som
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
Nice one John,

I will have to make another one now, to replace my old tip height setting tool.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline John-Som

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 05:36:53 AM »
John

I hadn't appreciated the significance of the working end - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing ! I'd better make another to be on the safe side.

John-Som
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
Taking the idea of the cylindrical square one step further scribe a line on the cylinder at lathe centre height to form a handy tool cutter guide. Two tools for the price of none.

John-Som

Brilliant Idea John-Som   :D :mmr:

I've cut a couple of grooves in mine one for height above the apron the other for height above the cross-slide.

Bill

Offline John-Som

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »
Hi Bill

Just gets better and better !

John-Som

Offline shoey51

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »
I learn something new every day :thumbup:

Offline AR1911

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »
I've been using cylinder squares for years. Mine are various sizes of piston pins for car and truck engines, as John Stevenson suggested. I haven't tried lasering a gnat though.
Ground to mirror finish and accurate to a high degree. My biggest are from a truck diesel, at about 2" dia X 5" long. All were free for the asking.

One good use for the big ones is rough tramming a milling head. Lower the quill to just off the table, then set the cylinder next to it with a light behind. Adjust, repeat.
I often get it close enough that I don't need to get out the tramming bar.

Offline Mike4

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »
I've been using cylinder squares for years. Mine are various sizes of piston pins for car and truck engines, as John Stevenson suggested. I haven't tried lasering a gnat though.
Ground to mirror finish and accurate to a high degree. My biggest are from a truck diesel, at about 2" dia X 5" long. All were free for the asking.

One good use for the big ones is rough tramming a milling head. Lower the quill to just off the table, then set the cylinder next to it with a light behind. Adjust, repeat.
I often get it close enough that I don't need to get out the tramming bar.

Another source of quick tramming gauges is to salvage a pair of roller bearing rollers from a large machine ,the pair which I have are 73mm high and as long as the ends are not worn or otherwise damaged the factory finish is quite sufficient for most purposes and these can be positioned anywhere on the mill table .

My mill has the ability to tilt the head up to 90 degrees ,I often find that is handy for drilling holes in parts rather than setting up some jig for a one off job.
Michael