Author Topic: E-Z Engine Build  (Read 6092 times)

Offline capjak

E-Z Engine Build
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »
This engine was built using plans downloaded from the homemodelenginemachinist.com website. It was posted recently as a first project for a newbie. That description fits me. After I retired about ten years ago, I took a two semester lathe and mill course at our local community college. After I finished teh class projects, I built a wobbler out of plexiglas using palns that I found on the internet and and a Little Kathy engine from a casting kit from Tiny Power. I picked up an Atlas-Craftsman 618 lathe but didn't do much with it. I had always wanted a Smithy three in one and found one at an estate sale. It had never been used but had been piled in the back of the garage. After a good cleaning and a tune up it is working fine. The E-Z is the first project that I have completed on this machine. In progress I have a flame engine built from an article from an old Popular Mechanics using iron pipe and a walking beam engine from a materials kit. I bought the kit while I was taking my classes because it reminded me of the engine that was one of th excursion boats that used to pass my house on the Hudson River when I was a kid. I don't think that I will complete it because the kit is pure crap.

If you decide to build the E-Z, be aware that there is an error in the Imperial version of the prints. They call for five 0.1250 inch hole. Only the center hole should be 0.1250, the rest of them should be bored with a #43 drill so that the holes can be tapped for 4-40 screws. BTW plans with metric dimensions are also available.

I have been lurking on this board and have learned a lot of techniques and am in awe of the skills that I have seen.

Thanks,

Jack Hilderbrant

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: E-Z Engine Build
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »
Hi Jack

Welcome aboard the cube  :borg:

It looks like you've put that 3 in 1 to good use my machine is a 3 in 1 you can do some good work with them  :thumbup:

That looks a real nice engine  :clap:

You'll find lots of ideas for more projects on her  :proj:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:02:42 PM »
Jack

Welcome to MadModder. It is a nice looking engine that you have there. If you have a video of it I am sure the gang would love to see it run when you have a chance.  :ddb: :ddb:

I think you will find a great bunch of guys here, always eager to help whenever they can. Enjoy your stay on the forum Jack.  :) :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 04:44:06 AM »
Hi there Jack, welcome to the club  :wave:

Nice looking engine there, any chance of a few more pics?

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Krown Kustoms

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
Welcome,
Yes pics of the 3 in 1 would be great too.
-B-
-B-