Author Topic: Real cheapo milling cutters  (Read 4732 times)

bogstandard

Real cheapo milling cutters
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:49:45 AM »
I am always on the lookout for imperial cutters in smaller sizes, they are starting to become a rare breed nowadays at the right price.

I found these on RDG and ordered a set. They look to be well ground and they cut ali and brass just fine, I didn't try them on anything too hard, but I expect they will cut some of the softer ferrous with no problems.

At less than a squid per cutter, they are not going to break the bank if you have a few mishaps.

The top ones.

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/SLOT_END_MILL_SETS.html

Bogs

Offline kvom

Re: Real cheapo milling cutters
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 07:54:37 AM »
For US members needed endmills, kpotter on Practical Machinist has been selling resharpened HSS tools.  I got an assortment of 20 3/8" shank mills for $25 shipped.  All US/Canada makes.

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:08:58 AM »
I've used these people several times, good value for general use end mills & slot Drills, saves risking the Dormers in iron castings.

http://richontools.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=44757caf798513c6c7c05600d366036b

Jason

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 10:28:57 AM »
RDG currently have a couple of these facemills normally 35 in their second hand section - they are brand new but came  in the shop with a little superficial rust at the top of the MT. Really absolutely nothing wrong with them, took me 3 minutes to clean it off and it is like brand new. Selling them for 10 but you would have to ring and order. They are in the second hand equipment near the enterence door if they ask where they are!

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_FACEMILLS__INDEXABLE__2_MORSE_TAPER.html

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:41:36 AM »
Jason,

Many thanks for the link.

Not only do they do very good prices on the endmills, but also they do imperial step drills, which I have been looking for for a fair while now.

I have just placed an order for just under the 18 squid duty limit, I will see what the quality is like when they turn up.

If they are OK, I will stick another order in.

Many thanks again.

John

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
You usually don't get caught for duty as they mark it as a gift of no value :thumbup:

Jason

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »
I have now placed two orders with the far eastern company that Jason posted the link to.

The service was second to none, no duty paid, less than a week to get here, and the quality of the cutters is better than a lot of the cutters you can buy cheap over here. I am only really interested in the small ones, so can't comment on the larger sizes, plus they have now started doing small carbide ones.

I have also bought a few other bits, the 6" diamond laps and backing plates are a real bargain, as are the imperial step drills.

Thanks Jason

Bogs
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:41:20 PM by bogstandard »