Author Topic: Real cheapo milling cutters  (Read 6592 times)

bogstandard

Real cheapo milling cutters
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:49:45 AM »
I am always on the lookout for imperial cutters in smaller sizes, they are starting to become a rare breed nowadays at the right price.

I found these on RDG and ordered a set. They look to be well ground and they cut ali and brass just fine, I didn't try them on anything too hard, but I expect they will cut some of the softer ferrous with no problems.

At less than a squid per cutter, they are not going to break the bank if you have a few mishaps.

The top ones.

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/SLOT_END_MILL_SETS.html

Bogs

Offline kvom

Re: Real cheapo milling cutters
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 07:54:37 AM »
For US members needed endmills, kpotter on Practical Machinist has been selling resharpened HSS tools.  I got an assortment of 20 3/8" shank mills for $25 shipped.  All US/Canada makes.

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:08:58 AM »
I've used these people several times, good value for general use end mills & slot Drills, saves risking the Dormers in iron castings.

http://richontools.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=44757caf798513c6c7c05600d366036b

Jason

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 10:28:57 AM »
RDG currently have a couple of these facemills normally £35 in their second hand section - they are brand new but came  in the shop with a little superficial rust at the top of the MT. Really absolutely nothing wrong with them, took me 3 minutes to clean it off and it is like brand new. Selling them for £10 but you would have to ring and order. They are in the second hand equipment near the enterence door if they ask where they are!

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_FACEMILLS__INDEXABLE__2_MORSE_TAPER.html

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:41:36 AM »
Jason,

Many thanks for the link.

Not only do they do very good prices on the endmills, but also they do imperial step drills, which I have been looking for for a fair while now.

I have just placed an order for just under the 18 squid duty limit, I will see what the quality is like when they turn up.

If they are OK, I will stick another order in.

Many thanks again.

John

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
You usually don't get caught for duty as they mark it as a gift of no value :thumbup:

Jason

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »
I have now placed two orders with the far eastern company that Jason posted the link to.

The service was second to none, no duty paid, less than a week to get here, and the quality of the cutters is better than a lot of the cutters you can buy cheap over here. I am only really interested in the small ones, so can't comment on the larger sizes, plus they have now started doing small carbide ones.

I have also bought a few other bits, the 6" diamond laps and backing plates are a real bargain, as are the imperial step drills.

Thanks Jason

Bogs
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:41:20 PM by bogstandard »