Author Topic: VW Powered Snow Blower  (Read 8485 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
VW Powered Snow Blower
« on: May 30, 2008, 09:39:08 PM »
Living up here in the north east, New York state to be exact, the winters some times are brutal. Lots of snow and blowing wind. Now that I live in house with a 1/10 mile driveway that I plow with a 70hp deisel tractor, it gets a bit cold. I mean realy cold. Sometimes the tractor won't start because it's to cold, even when it's heater is plugged in. Then the wind blowing the snow in your face with a temp of around 10 degrees is realy brutal.

So I got this idea that a tracked vehicle with a snow blower mounted on front would be ideal. I used to own a 12hp garden tractor with a blower on it. Used it to plow my parents drive when I lived home. So now I wanted something bigger with a heated cab, that's when I cam up with the idea of a VW powered blower. Why VW power. Well, I've been driving VW's since 1970 and am very familar with them. I even built a dune buggy. Still have all the parts.

So if your interested in the project check out my web page on this project. It's been in the making fro almost 2 years now. Progress has been slow. Check it out at VW Powered Snowblower

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: VW Powered Snow Blower
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »
There was a video on the net a couple years ago with a 350 chevy powered walk behind blower. ;D I no longer have the link.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:07:39 PM »
What part of NY are you in Bern?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:59:29 AM »
What part of NY are you in Bern?

Eric

I'm 20 miles south of Rochester, New York. Luckily far enough south to escape the Lake Ontario snow machine. :D Some winters we get a lot of snow, other times the wind blows everything away. Luckily the drive is an east/west drive.

Bernd

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »
Here is where I work if you need a snow blower:o)

Kodiak Northwest

HERE is a video of one of our small ones. Our big unit has a 1200 constant duty HP rating:o)
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 01:54:01 AM »

I'm 20 miles south of Rochester, New York. Luckily far enough south to escape the Lake Ontario snow machine. :D Some winters we get a lot of snow, other times the wind blows everything away. Luckily the drive is an east/west drive.

Bernd

See... I am in the next state to you. I can get to NYC very quickly, but to get to where you are it is a 5 hour drive.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 08:47:02 PM »
What's a 5 hour drive. 8) About $100 gas bill? :o

Just got back from a 3 hour drive. Got a place up near Alex Bay, New York. Took the pontoon boat up thursday. Been thinking of building a model steam launch to play around with when the gas gets so high that all we do is sit on the boat.  :P :D

Bernd