Author Topic: "Sorry about the explosion"  (Read 39534 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: "Sorry about the explosion"
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »
Thanks for the info, they look too neat ....  :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »
I like those storage boxes, they would fit nice in my beams! Excellent idea, thanks for posting.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2009, 03:38:47 PM »
I had heard that maple was the best choice for wooden bearings. But I had some big planks of oak lying in the shop. The only maple I could find would have had to be glued into larger chunks. If it doesn't work, I'll just redo them\o/

I'm working on my rafter storage today\0/ I'll have a few pictures tonight.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »
The end grain wanted to split out a little.

Was that at the very edges that it split out?

The brown stuff has a tendancy to do that. One way to reduce the splitting out, or tear-out, is to put a little chamfer around the edge of the surface to be planed/flycut. One way that is easy is to use some sandpaper wrapped around a block and just put a tiny 45deg bevel around the edges. Or if you have a block plane a thin swipe or two will accomplish the same thing. :thumbup:

Or if it is in the middle of the face that it is tearing out, try cutting from a different approach, or if that doesn't work try taking smaller depth of cuts and with as-sharp-as-you-can-get-it tooling :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2009, 07:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys :mmr:

Today we cut out a bunch of wood. I have the pieces for some of my overhead storage cut out I just have to glue and screw it all together. I made up some pieces to see how my file racks would work. I'm pleased with them :med: We'll make up a couple three more tomorrow. I need a small one for my bitty files :dremel:

We'll splash some paint on them before we hang them up.

Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »
Those file racks take a little longer than I thought. I got them all cut out and started gluing them together today. I also whipped out a few of these brackets. I get these spring arm lamps at thrift stores for a couple of bucks usually. This way I can have extra light when i need it.

Here it in next to my mill. I think I'll add one to the other side.

We started painting some of the brackets and the file racks today. I got a deal on Safety OSHA Blue:o)
Wesley P

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2009, 09:36:09 PM »
looking good wes  :thumbup: ..............with all the fixin up you are doing it will feel like a new shop  :)

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2009, 10:05:27 PM »
I hope it's worth it. Its taking a lot of work! I want to try and get some of that overhead storage up tomorrow. I might need some help with that though? We'll see. I want to get back on my line shaft but there is a bunch of stuff that needs put away. I need to take out the tras and empty the shop vac. I still haven't decided where it is going to live.

I have an idea for a cart that will live under the far end of my LeBlond lathe. It will hold my chucks up uff the ground and what not. I have to work out some details still.

:wave:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2009, 12:11:38 AM »
Didn't get as much done today as I had hoped. A Friend came over with some paying work :D

This summer I had a Heat Treat Oven Donated to my shop :headbang: It doesn't work. But I think I know the problem. One of the connectors for one of the elements melted. I think I can fix it.  :scratch: Anyway, The Fridge that I got this summer has been resting on top of it because I didn't have any room for it anywhere else.

We found a spot under my workbench. I had to modify the shelf a little, but it fits and the door opens :med:

That opened up some wall space for som much needed shelving. I have stools in the shop for items up high :med:

:wave: :wave:

Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »
Hey Wes,

You keep any Colorado Koolaid in that fridge?

Nice looking pillar drill. It'll be intereesting to see how you do the line shafts. Going to build a steam engine to run the line shaft?  :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
Colorado Koolaid? Mainly PBR and Clamato juice in the fridge.

I have plans for a bigger steam engine to start very soon. 3 cylinder- 1.25 bore. I think I'd need a bigger one to power this? Maybe on the to do list:o) It will be ran on steam though:o)
Wesley P

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »
Well I didn't expect to see that .......... Celotex ... that's what I used in the garage built .... and the house ...

I was just surprised to see it and not a US specific brand ...

Sorry, the workshop is coming along well .....  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »
Thanks Darren :nrocks: I really liked the slate you used on your shop. That would be BIG money around here. I'm getting more done today :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: Hopefully I can start on an engine soon :bang:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »
I knew that post would come in handy;o)

Hammers.

A spot for them. I have a couple of these placed throughout the shop:o)

Getting closer:o)
Wesley P

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
Do you have 12 Ball Peen hammers  :bugeye:

Why  :scratch:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »
Don't ask me questions I don't have the answers to :lol: I inherited a lot of stuff. I brought some of my stuff home from work also. It will go back :headbang:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2009, 08:38:39 PM »
I got a lot done around the place today. I have my overhead storage about ready to hang up. Here are a couple of the units ready to hang up. I have one that will hold my extension cords. And these two have my power tools.

I probably won't be able to find anything for a month :lol:
Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »

I probably won't be able to find anything for a month :lol:

I was going to say that you'll need an indexing system to find all those tools once they are properly stored.  :clap:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
Its real stuff\o/ Never heard it called that before.

Wesley P

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 03:53:50 AM »
Thanks Wes!  :thumbup:

That`s brightened up my grey Derbyshire morning!  :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 10:41:33 AM »
Thank Bernd. I was looking for old music on You Tube and ran across it. I'd have never even clicked on it if I hadn't heard about it from him :beer: I'm looking for music to play on my Organ when we get it done.

Wesley P

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2010, 07:13:07 PM »
PK,
I saw that you already made your file rack, but I had already looked this up. I have several of these hanging on my pegboard with files hanging from them.http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg2/R-100132799/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Yours look a lot better.
I will go back and read the rest of the thread. I need to clean and organize my blankety, blank work shop.
Thanks for inspiring me.( Or curses on you.) :D :)
Fred
PS Thanks for the song. I enjoyed it also!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:21:45 PM by Pelallito »