Author Topic: Going to convert my X2 and Mini Lathe  (Read 10676 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Going to convert my X2 and Mini Lathe
« on: June 01, 2008, 01:51:12 AM »
I will be converting my existing mill and lathe to CNC before I buy a bigger mill and lathe. I figure I will need them anyway. Does anyone have any experience converting their mill/lathe?

I am thinking about several different options on doing this.

First, there are a couple of plans I have been looking at:

I may go with fignoggle's plans. I used his DRO plans for my mill and was very pleased. Or I could go with Sterling Steele plan sets. I have his belt drive kit and it works well.

To save money, I may go that route and build the motor mounts myself. But what do I want to use for motors? for the mill and the lathe? What do I use for drivers? Buy them or use one of the plans on-line and build em myself.

Opinions??

OR,

I could buy a kit and do it that way. LMS has some CNC conversion kits. What to do?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Going to convert my X2 and Mini Lathe
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
I have a question Eric. Are you going to use the original lead screws or go with ball screws. I would believe that the lead screws these machines come with won't work with CNC, to sloppy.

Just wondering. :-\

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 11:04:34 PM »
Eventually ballscrews. Fignoggle talks about using modified brass nuts to reduce backlash.

Quote the fignoggle site:

Stock leadscrews with brass nuts modified to reduce backlash. Results are after 5 minutes of adjusting mill. Average accuracy is 0.001

It may work for me for a little while anyway.

Eric
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:17:16 AM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »
Well I ordered the CNC plans yesterday and received them today via email.

The plans are pretty good. The thing that sold me over them than rather Steele's plans or HossMachines free plans was the fact that the installation was more compact. The X and Y doesn't hang out as much as other conversions I have seen. After I finish these last kickstands I am going to start it.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:04:30 AM »
   I dont know what an X2 is..Little one huh?..Steppers then..I would buy Geckos for stepper drivers , the price is cheap enough and the warrenty and the technical support is exemplary.....I know that because I made the monumental mistake to have bought Rutex drives and had lot of trouble sorting them out so I learned the value of technical support.....
 I upgraded an old cnc mill is what I did, took a long time and cost a pile of money..
 I have a dead cnc lathe- weighs 5600 pound-  that I will eventually change the servo drives etc... Will cost me at least a couple thousand dollars to get it going...But I dont have much need for a cnc lathe........
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 06:17:28 PM »
Yeah the X2 is tiny. It is termed a 'mini' mill. I don't have a lot of room, so had to go with this until I rebuild my garage. For a little sucker, it does work good (after hours of tuning and modifying).

I am going to use steppers. Going with a 4 axis set-up. My drivers will probably be Geckos.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »
  I want one of everything, dont you?....I like all types of machinery....Along in there I also want a small tabletop cnc mill because-- I like engraving faces, scenery etc but that type work needs to be done with fast spindle and very rapid X,Y and Z feeds...That is far more abuse than I want to subject to  my old retired from the factory cnc mill..
 Youre going to have your mill out of commission while you change it into cnc configuration...That could be tricky..I'd be uncomfortable working without a mill during a project that will require use of a mill...And once completed you will only have a cnc , no longer have a manual mill....Thats interesting too , I hope you get to that point while I still a member here, I'd like to hear your day to day impressions of making the transition from exclusively manual mill to exclusively cnc...
 May I suggest that you spend a few dollars to get an electromechanical time clock , wire it in series with your drivers so that when your drivers are "on" the clock keeps a running total...You will much of the time be working at the computer getting set to run a program but have the drivers turned off- for real sense of working hours just  keep track of the drivers 'on' time..You will be amazed how many hours you will  log on it..I am over 800 hours in 2 and a half years since I got this second cnc mill going..Contrast that to my Kubota riding mower has fewer than 400 hours after 15 years mowing my 3 acre yard.
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »
  I want one of everything, dont you?....I like all types of machinery.......

That says it all i think.

This conversion that I am doing will allow manual and CNC use. Gotta keep the manual for awhile as this is my only machine. I plan to buy a bigger mill and convert it to CNC only at a later date.

The time clock idea sounds cool. i think i will do that.

I am order some of the aluminum today to make the stepper brackets... so hopefully the conversion will start in a couple of weeks. I will be doing a build log here as well.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 01:07:16 AM »
The aluminum arrived this week. I will start making the mounts next week or the week after.

Eric
Science is fun.