Author Topic: Some Stuff I've Done  (Read 9898 times)

Offline platypus20

Some Stuff I've Done
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:42:21 PM »
In my intro thread, I mentioned the stuff I do is pretty mundane, some of the projects I've seen here are amazing, while mine are not in that caliber, I going post a few.

1+2) The first is the 1950 era Bridgeport milling machine, that I bought and then found out it had a bad M head assembly. After pricing a replacement, I decided to adapt a 1986 Central Machinery mill/drill head, it has 12 speeds and a R8 spindle. Originally this was a temporary modification, but it has worked so well, at this point until this head assembly fails, it going to stay. The machine is run almost daily and works great. Another benefit, because of the way it is built, the maximum distance between the table and the quill is 36".

3) The Jet JVM 836 milling machine I bought has been great, but was somewhat limited by the 5 spindle speeds that came from the factory (240-1550 rpm), so I made a "transmission" that by increases the number of speeds to 25 (48-1500 rpm), it didn't increase the max spindle speed, but dramatically lower the minimum speed and made the steps between speeds much smaller.

Jack

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:02:44 PM by platypus20 »
jack

Offline platypus20

Re: Some Stuff I've Done
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »
I also made a drill press adapter plate, that allow me to lock down the drill press vise anywhere on the DP table, with 4 bolts holding the plate to the table and another 4 bolts to hold the vise to the plate.

jack
jack

Offline Trion

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »
That looks like a very nice workshop. Man, you have to be tall to be able to reach the highest shelves of you tool cabinet! :lol:

The extra "gears" on the bridgeport looks like a very good addition! I like the layout of what seems to be a central lubrication system, what is it made up of?

Offline platypus20

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
When I bought the mill, it was fully manual, no power feeds and all lube points were individual, I installed all of the power feeds and installed a one shot lubrication system, the pump was about $60 and the tubing and fittings were an additional $30, I made all of the lube orifices out of aluminum set screws.

jack
jack

Offline ronginger

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
very nice job with the lube system. I have wanted to do that to my mill, but afraid of the rats nest of tubes. Yours looks very good. What material are the tubes?

It looks like the flex loops are just plastic in a loop- that looks neats, has it worked well?

ron ginger

Offline platypus20

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:40:27 PM »
very nice job with the lube system. I have wanted to do that to my mill, but afraid of the rats nest of tubes. Yours looks very good. What material are the tubes?

It looks like the flex loops are just plastic in a loop- that looks neats, has it worked well?

ron ginger

The steel lines are automotive brake lines and standard 1/4" npt x 1/4" compression fittings

It works very well, inside each of the 1/4" npt part of the fittings was tapped to 1/4"-20, and an aluminum set screws were installed, then drilled with a #55 drill bit. This created the necessary orifice to limit the flow, this equalizes the line pressure so all of the fittings receive approximately the same amount of oil. Without the orifices, all the way oil would just flow out the nearest fitting to the pump.

jack
jack

Offline brucealmitey

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:24:30 PM »
wow looks like you are set up for just a bout any kind of job. I like the use of the adjusable length v belts you used on the jet drill. Have you had any problems with slipping busting falling apart? I"m courious because my drive belt on the Royal lathe is very worn. This would save a lot of dissasembly. :headbang: :headbang:

Offline platypus20

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:12:59 PM »
wow looks like you are set up for just a bout any kind of job. I like the use of the adjusable length v belts you used on the jet drill. Have you had any problems with slipping busting falling apart? I"m courious because my drive belt on the Royal lathe is very worn. This would save a lot of dissasembly. :headbang: :headbang:

The Fenner Power-Twist belts are great, all of the belt driven equipment I have is using it. I've had absolutely no problems with them. I started to use them, when it was necessary to change the drive belt on my Atlas lathe, I went to them to avoid having to remove the spindle to change the belt. A couple of heating contractors locally are using nothing but the Fenner belts on all of the heating and cooling equipment they service, with no problem. While it isn't cheap, they find that the reduction in belt inventories they had to carry and having to go get to finish a job, more than made up for the additional cost. They now just carry boxes of the 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" belts, and make them to fit. I find they lower vibration, are quieter and run cooler, and the ease of installation and then forget about them.

jack
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:14:43 PM by platypus20 »
jack

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 05:56:21 AM »
I like the lube system! Very smart....  :clap:

Chris

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 06:07:10 AM »
I like the lube system too ... nice workshop  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)