Author Topic: Sherline DRO handwheel handles  (Read 5685 times)

Russel

Sherline DRO handwheel handles
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this, I guess this is the right spot.

Well, I guess it doesn't take long before you start looking at everything wondering how you can improve it, or simply modify it more to your liking. Yesterday, I finally got fed up with the small size of the handles on the Sherline handwheels. The handles are just too small for my hands if I am trying to crank them smoothly over and extended time. So, noticing the Z axis handwheels on my mill, I decided to make a similar version for the X and Y axis on the Sherline mill and the X axis on the lathe. Here is a photo of the Z axis handwheel on the mill. The Z axis on the Sherline lathe that I have is the same.

I didn't take any photos of the machining process, it's all really just basic lathe work. What I came up with is half inch aluminum rod, one inch long. I drilled all the way through the center with a #12 drill, then Drilled one end .360” deep with a letter L drill. Then I turned the end with the small hole at a 15° angle down close to the size of the #12 drill hole. Bevel the edges and it's ready to go. I find them much easier to crank smoothly over and extended period.

Here is a photo with the handwheel from my CNC rotary table. The handle on the upper handwheel is the size that was replaced by the aluminum handle.

Russ