Author Topic: My homebuilt recumbent bikes.  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Gadget

My homebuilt recumbent bikes.
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
I built these about 12 years ago. My wife hasn't used hers much at all but I have over 7000 trouble free miles on mine. 

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: My homebuilt recumbent bikes.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:51:17 PM »
Nice work!

How do you find the screen? I am afraid if I had something like that on a bike around here it would act like a spinacker!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Gadget

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:57:32 PM »
Nice work!

How do you find the screen? I am afraid if I had something like that on a bike around here it would act like a spinacker!

I bought my fairing  from TourEasy in California. Cost a whopping $200.00 but it has held up well for the full 7000 miles.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:44:02 AM »
Nice, simple and neat looking bikes.

I've got plans for a trike. The plans came off the internet. It's actually a recumbent tadpole trike from Jetrike.com and was drawn by Henry Thomas. I did a bit of research and found a guy that motorized a trike with a small engine. I'd like to do that to so I could navigate the hills around here. Sure would save on gas money.  :D

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Gadget

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:20:26 PM »
Nice, simple and neat looking bikes.

I've got plans for a trike. The plans came off the internet. It's actually a recumbent tadpole trike from Jetrike.com and was drawn by Henry Thomas. I did a bit of research and found a guy that motorized a trike with a small engine. I'd like to do that to so I could navigate the hills around here. Sure would save on gas money.  :D

Bernd

I have plans for a tadpole trike as well, I may still go that route. I like the leaning units though, that is going to be a bit tricky.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 02:54:01 PM »
I would like to make a motorised trike "one day".  I would have two wheels at the back with a 50cc motor mounted to drive them.  The seat, steering head and controls etc would be pivoted on an axis that when projected would meet the ground at the contact point of the front tyre.  If my theory is good the front half including the rider would have the dynamics of a bike while the motorised rear would just follow along behind.

If I keep it to 50cc and three wheels I will avoid almost all road certification and licencing issues.
From the den of The Artful Bodger