Author Topic: My latest project. Gingery horizontal mill  (Read 75337 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: My latest project. Gingery horizontal mill
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 08:34:25 AM »
Nice work Gadget.

I sort of had to laugh to myself reading that second to last sentence. Using a CNC mill to work on a Gingery Verticle Mill.  :D

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2010, 08:55:23 AM »
Hi Gadget, I just wanted to add encouragement, I read and re-read all the Gingery books, learned a lot from them, without ever having the chance to complete any of the projects, but taking in all the bringing the old methodology to life today, and enabling us to have anything we want, just a matter of building it.  I learned to make moulding sand, and mold a few things, and in learning about the methods he used, shored up my own methods making my work more accurate, in building up from stacked stock material, and the art of hand scraping for accurate fit and finish.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this project completed, Dave Gingery was an amazingly wise man who has given us all, as metal hobbyists, new heights to reach for, and served as a good conduit of the old technology, across time, to being useful today, when we missed the opportunity to learn to do it as apprentices.  With what he showed in his books, I learned to use a lathe as a mill, a shaper, and get far more out of it, at a time when I didn't have anything but a lathe, than I ever learned in machine shop class in school, all those years ago.  I hope to have a working foundry come out of this summer, so I can look at serious casting next winter, and do some things long on the list, but always pushed back.  That is a bit amusing, using your cnc mill on the Gingery mill castings.  Keep the project going and the progress reports coming!!!  Mad Jack :) :nrocks:

Offline Gadget

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »
Nice work Gadget.

I sort of had to laugh to myself reading that second to last sentence. Using a CNC mill to work on a Gingery Verticle Mill.  :D

Bernd

Actually it is a CNC router Bernd. No where near the muscle as a mill should have. But I agree, it does kind of sound funny.

Mad Jack, when you get ready to build your furnace let me know. I have gotten my waste motor/vegetable oil burner pretty much perfected. No propane preheat needed, just light it and go.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:34:30 AM by Gadget »

Offline Gadget

Mill update 3 31
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 06:20:50 PM »
I made good progress today. I got the spindle slide mounted and fitted today. Nice and tight with no play in any direction with smooth travel up and down.
Time to make some more castings now.
Dan

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »
That is looking good!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Gadget

Mill update 04 09
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »
I finished the feed for the spindle slide today. Kind of a major milestone since I will now start working on the table.  Everything fits nice and tight and the feed screw moves the spindle slide without any binding.

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2010, 10:04:04 PM »
Wow, that's really looking good, Gadget.  I like your work.
Such a good thread!

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
Nice work Gadget.

I sort of had to laugh to myself reading that second to last sentence. Using a CNC mill to work on a Gingery Verticle Mill.  :D

Bernd

Actually it is a CNC router Bernd. No where near the muscle as a mill should have. But I agree, it does kind of sound funny.

Mad Jack, when you get ready to build your furnace let me know. I have gotten my waste motor/vegetable oil burner pretty much perfected. No propane preheat needed, just light it and go.
Hi Gadget, I'd like to get my furnace built this summer, I've got the sand, clay and borax mixed, has been for years, I've got a thirty gallon barrel cut to make a Gingery type furnace with the swinging lid, and the body lifting to pull the crucible, I just haven't taken a hammer and broken up the brick to make the matrix so it won't shrink and crack.  I've got both propane, for heating the house, and I've got a waste oil barrel with a couple hundred gallons of waste oil, I'd like to see your burners, I haven't played with any for years, and I expect your working model is better than anything I'd be able to start with.  I've got a few hundred pounds of bronze collected over the years, and I want to get to casting it, and making something interesting out of it.  I think I'll get the brick broken up, and all the dry material mixed and this fall, rap it all into the barrel and forms, and get to the firing part this fall, with the hopes of doing some serious casting over the winter, and getting going on that side of the shop.  I'm really interested in seeing how you make your burners, as that's the one part I'm not much experienced at much at all.  I also wanted to say I got a kick out of using CNC on your pattern, to cast as it was done a hundred years ago, but you know those guys would have expected us to be like that.  mad jack

Offline Gadget

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2010, 04:43:02 PM »
Mad Jack,
I'll get some photos of the burner tomorrow for you. The basic component is a touch up paint spray head. I cut the vanes off the nozzle and soldered the holes they left shut. That gives me a nice even cone mist. My Teuere is a bit smaller than I would like but I have 1" pipe through the furnace body. I have a piece of 3/4" conduit inside that butted up against the spray nozzle to guide the oil mist and keep it from leaking on the outside of the furnace. I have a blower blowing air around the 3/4 conduit to make the burn cleaner. It will be easier to figure this out with photos so I will make a good post tomorrow explaining the burner with photos to help out.
Dan

PS, poured 4 more hand wheels today. I have 4 more of them to make for a friend and I will be moving on to the next assembly.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2010, 10:10:20 AM »
Hi Gadget, thanks a lot, I look forward to pictures.  I've got a couple of spray guns which have seen better days, so I should have the raw material to use for the oil burner, I've been sitting on them for fifteen or twenty years, even though I never paint except with a brush and roller, or with spray cans.  Looking forward to the pictures, thanks. :) mad jack

Offline Gadget

waste oil burner
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2010, 11:12:18 AM »
Mad Jack,
Here is a link to a thread that got me started. I did the basic mods to the touch up gun from this concept.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3341&highlight=waste+oil

Offline Gadget

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2010, 03:43:22 PM »
Here are the photos of the oil burner Mad Jack.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
Re: waste oil burner
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2010, 09:17:42 AM »
Mad Jack,
Here is a link to a thread that got me started. I did the basic mods to the touch up gun from this concept.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3341&highlight=waste+oil
Hi Gadget, thanks for the link, I've got a full sized old paint sprayer that is just begging to be turned into something useful.  I think it will make a fine burner, and get some metal melted.  Thanks much for that link and I'll let you see what I get as a result of playing around with sprayers and fire.  I knew keeping that waste oil tank was a good idea, it's been ten years or more and there's got to be a couple hundred gallons of waste oil in it, free.  If I ever empty it, I can use my smaller tank, and use the larger one to build a good solid gun safe, I need one, and they're expensive, almost more than guns themselves.  Top shelf, Gadget, top shelf!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:mad jack

Offline Gadget

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2010, 10:28:53 AM »
Mad Jack,
I suggest building a pressure tank for the oil, no preheat needed that way. Also, once the furnace has reached a good temp you can shut the air pressure off the air line and just let the tank pressure feed oil out the burner. I run mine at 40 to 50PSI and it works well. I always leave a pound or two of air pressure on the air feed line to keep the oil from backing up in the gun. 
When lighting, I put an oily paper rag or towel in the furnace, light it with a butane torch, turn the air pressure to about 30 on the air inlet and use the fine spray adjustment on the gun to start feeding the oil mist. Close the furnace and allow it to get hot. Once the unit is hot enough to keep the flame going well you can turn the air blower on and put the crucible in and start feeding metal.
One caution, anytime you open the furnace wear a face shield. The oil fire tends to flare up when the furnace gets opened. Lost an eyebrow or two finding that out myself.
Dan

Offline Gadget

burner video
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »
Here is a brief video of the furnace in operation. This was taken before I got a permanent blower but the unit still works the same now.

"
&hl

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2010, 11:43:51 AM »
Hi Gadget, that video looks good, judging from the flame coming out the top, you've got lots of flame in with the crucible.  After reading your posts, I got motivated and found the old paint gun I have, then I remembered an old oil burner I bought at the scrap yard for a couple dollars, probably twelve or fifteen years ago, and never did anything with.  I dug it out, checked the wiring for safety reasons, put a tube in the inlet side of the pump, and plugged it in.  I pumped about a cup of diesel on the floor of the shop before I pulled the plug, and noted it all came out of the return to tank fitting, with no sign of wetness around the jet.  I took out the orifice, took it apart and used a coleman lantern wire to open the plugged orifice, put another piece of plastic line from the tank return to the tank sitting above the unit, and tried it again.

As you can see, the unit just needed un-plugging the orifice and it worked.  I don't know how much heat it puts out, but it's substantial, and I'm going to have to play with tubes and tuyeres to see how they affect it, and of course, I will have to try it out with waste oil and various mixes, however you've got me on a roll, and I'm going to get this going this summer, and be casting by winter, or I'm changing my profession :bugeye:  You said you didn't get much effect at all out of changing the adjustment of the needle on your sprayer, I'm looking at this oil pump, and I see it as a matter of controlling the pressure as the primary means of controlling fuel flow.  I suspect if I put a needle in the fuel return line, I will materially affect how much pressure is at the orifice, and be able to control the fuel supply.  I reckon I'll see.  Thanks much for putting me on this track, I've been waiting too long, and need to get it going.  :bow: mad jack

Offline Gadget

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
From what I've read, you will need a siphon nozzle to use the fuel oil burner to work properly. You will also need to preheat the oil. At least that's what I have read.
Glad to see you have a burner working. With the proper setup, it will be better than what I have.
Dan

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2010, 10:00:51 AM »
Hi Gadget,  thanks for the information, I noticed a bit of spray residue of diesel around the nozzle area after burning, and figured it needed a thicker fuel, and I've read other places about warming the fuel.  I'll fool around with it while I get the furnace rammed up and together, and I can probably come up with a proper density for the size orifice.  I tried holding a piece of inch and three quarter exhaust pipe about eight inches long in front of the flame, and got excess fuel sprayed inside the tube.  Then I tried a piece of two inch pipe with less fuel left inside, so I think it needs a bit more air, but that may work its self out with waste oil instead of diesel.  I guess it's time to mix up all that sand, clay, crushed brick, and get it wet, so it can set a while before ramming.
    It looks in your video, like you've got the burner going straight into the furnace, are you getting good circulation of flame around the crucible that way?  Are you making your own crucibles, or buying them?  I plan on buying the Gingery book on crucibles, as I've got some bronze I want to cast and don't want to spend the money of crucibles melting different metals.  That flame coming out the top looks good, motivating to see it ready and hot :jaw:mad jack

Offline Gadget

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »
MadJack,
I do have the burner going straight in and it can be a problem. This furnace was originally an electric furnace I built from Gingery plans about twenty years ago. The burner element burned out and I decided to convert it to propane. The only way to cut a burner opening was to use the hole left by the burner element which went straight in. After I get the next two needed castings poured I think I will try to change the angle of the burner. Hope I don't ruin the furnace in the process.
Dan

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Hi Dan,  I finally found my copy of the Gingery gas fired furnace, and I have the forms cut out of a thirty or forty gallon drum, I just need to make the inside forms, and break up some brick.  I have the clay, the sand, and brick, I just haven't broken it up.  Once I do, it's a matter of ramming it up, letting it dry, and firing it, I will set it up with the tangential inlet, but I want to get the size of the pipe going in, right the first time, so I'm playing with pipe, burner, and will be mixing fuel as well, see what we get with old oil instead of diesel fuel.  I think I'm going to have to put a "T" in the inlet and put some air in on top of what is coming out of the burner setup, as there is excess fuel as it goes right now, but that might be the diesel being thin.  Once I mix all my refractory, it should sit a few days before I ram it, and since there's no hurry, it might as well get the best treatment, no rush.  I'll try to get some movie footage of the burner as I change things, I've got the movie part of my camera figured out, at least the start of it. :headbang: mad jack

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
Gadget...very impressive...I can't wait to see the next post of your progress....
I have been thing about trying out a foundry of my own here...I just might have to give it a go soon..;)

Offline Gadget

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
I cut two cross slide patterns out of foam today for lost foam casting. One for me and one for a friend. Used my CNC router to cut the foam. I'll probably pour them tomorrow weather permitting.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:26:56 PM by Gadget »

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »
Oh boy this is looking like a lot of fun... I have been doing a lot of research on lost foam this evening so hopefully I won't have too many dumb questions tomorrow. :thumbup:

Offline Gadget

« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2010, 08:10:37 PM »
Bob,
The only dumb question is the one unasked. :D

Offline Gadget

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
Bob, Here is a link to a foundry forum you might find interesting.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/forums/index.php?sid=7a83f957f76651543190aba6d1fba6b2