Author Topic: Present for Dad - suggestions?  (Read 20263 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Present for Dad - suggestions?
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:35:32 PM »
I hope this doesn`t sound too cheesy but I fancy making my Dad something for Christmas. I`m asking early so I have three weeks to make it. I`m not too sure what I could do for him, he real interest is cooking and his job is sales in Engineering so he does do technical drawings and such. Maybe this is a no-go as I can`t think of anything myself. Although he likes my little engine I don`t think he would get the appreciation from one that some would.

Any suggestions? 
Chris

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
Re: Present for Dad - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »
Hmmm, cooking and machine shop.  How about:

nut cracker (many exotic designs out there)
dead-blow meat tenderizer
egg slicer (the type with wires that slice a whole egg in one pass)
cheese slicer

Look through a good catalogue of kitchen gadgetry.  Many ideas should pop out.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:51:05 PM »
egg cups made out of polished stainless steel.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

GrahamC

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »
I have always fancied making a knife sharpener like the one here:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=60002&cat=2,40733,40738

Uses 2 square carbide inserts. This is a newer version of this knife sharpener that Lee Valley has sold, the previous version use common 85 degree rhomboid inserts. I suppose you could make it to use almost any shape carbide insert if you wanted. In any case a neat idea.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Graham C - thanks for the idea but I know for a fact my dad spent a fotune a few years back on some knife sharperner but to be fair I couldn`t design that!

I like the idea of the nut cracker:

Perhaps instead on the above I could just hand him a piece of scrap steel bar! I`m thinking maybe a screw type nutcracker as that would involve some threading and nice machining of the frame.... humm thanks. Please keep them coming.

Chris

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 02:20:17 PM »
The biggest problem with presents is nobody seems to pay any attn to what the recipient may actual desire.

Then you seem to hang onto junk for sentimental reasons which over the years clutters precious space.

Nice to see someone putting some thought into the matter for once ...

Give me a screwdiver any time intsead of auselessbitojunk ...  :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »
Cheers Darren, to be honest, I buy him a book most years but I`ve made some things I`ve been pleased with lately and I think I could make something that he would like instead....we`ll see.

Something like this would be do-able:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
I like that one ... as you say ..doable ....  :thumbup:

Careful, you might start something here ....  :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 02:33:33 PM »
Nutcrackeritus....in time for Christmas?

Edit - just trying to work out the dia of the tube. What is the diameter of a walnut, 3cm max?, so the tube is about 50mm? Any guesses?

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »
This style of nutcracker...

http://www.shopzilla.com/steel-pecan-and-nut-cracker/1616032679/compare

is far easier to use and more effective.  You'll go nuts :) trying to crack a lot of nuts with the screw type pictured above.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »
How about one of them pocket sundials you've got the drawings for  :headbang:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »
 :poke:

I been looking at those since I got them but I don`t know how I`d scribe the markings and if I`m totally honest, can`t understand the pattern of the scribe marks!! That would make a great gift and he would love it ..  hummmm   Anyone got an engraving pencil?

Chris

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 03:50:48 PM »
   Anyone got an engraving pencil?

Chris

How about using a diamond stylus?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 06:48:16 PM »
How about one of them pocket sundials you've got the drawings for  :headbang:

Stew

If you're into sundials, be very careful how you search ' analemma ' ....

You get some rather exotic sites appearing .. and nowt to do with sundials either ... anal emma ???

And on the Sabbath to boot ...

Gone for me smelling salts ..

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 08:29:53 PM »
:poke:

I been looking at those since I got them but I don`t know how I`d scribe the markings and if I`m totally honest, can`t understand the pattern of the scribe marks!! That would make a great gift and he would love it ..  hummmm   Anyone got an engraving pencil?

Chris

There was a fairly recent thread about making a taper attachment for a lathe. One of the questions for the contributor was how the index lines were made. I have searched all afternoon but just can't find it. I do remember that the lines were professional quality.

Perhaps someone remembers this better than I.

Joe

Finally found the thread "Myford TTA" in the Project Logs forum but the OP has stripped out all his posts???
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:59:17 PM by 75Plus »

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »
Chris

If he likes cooking then this might be for him. I know when I make a pot of stew or chili and having to stand there and keep stirring the pot gently to keep from burning can be a pain in the a&& sometimes. How about an electric pot stirrer, Just a single paddle that wipes 1/2 of the bottom and revolves slowly. Could be made out of stainless steel to keep from rusting.  :ddb: :ddb:

Remember, you asked for ideas!

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 07:43:01 AM »
Make him a custom pen/pencil set.  Kits are fairly cheap, and you can use whatever materials you want, from all kinds of exotic woods or acrylic.  Wooden blanks can be had for as little as half a buck to a few dollars for the more exotic materials.  I made mine out of rosewood, and they were less than $6 each including the kit and finish materials.

They are super easy (I made 3 in one night), kits are cheap ($4-12 each) and you have a gift that they can actually use daily.

Do NOT let them talk you into all sorts of specialized tool/mandrels.  You can make one yourself in mere minutes.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »
You know what Rleet, I first joined this forum because I was trying to make a pen from scratch and was struggling to multi-start thread the cap. I was using acrylic blanks but my interest was fountain pens and I was struggling getting fountain kits here in the UK, I could only find biro type. You know what... you`ve done it. That would get me right back into maching a pen!! Thanks for the suggestion....
Chris

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 09:32:09 PM »
I just finished my first one last night.  Indian Rosewood and a gold slimline kit from Woodcraft.  Came out pretty nice for my first attempt, and I've got the supplies to make 4 more.  It's actually easier to turn metal than wood, IMO.

If I knew more, I would have ordered the stuff online (cheaper), and not bought the mandrel (a simple turning job), but overall I'm happy.  I intend to make lots more and give them away to all my friends and family.  For about 5 bucks apiece, it is a nice, useful gift.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 05:35:22 AM »
Chris,

Funny you posted this thread. I was thinking of making something for my dad too! I was thinking either  a rocking engine (make a couple, just to the drawings but blinged!) or a couple of elmers tiny. Then I thought, these are pretty useless, he won't even be able to run them without going into the garage and hooking up the compressor - which he would never do! So I thought, what about a finger engine. But they are relatively more involved to make compared to the other 2.

You mentioning the nut cracker might have sparked something off - I always remember seeing this screw design when I was little and thought I want to make one of those one day, this has just sparked my memory! I think the one I saw had an acme or square thread.

Some good ideas here - makes the present much more personal too. Like you say though - only 3 weeks! :dremel:

Nick

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »
Okay, a bit of advice.  I made three kits in one night (easy if you set up a small production run), and finished the wood according to the instructions on the bottle.  It's a wax/oil/shellac finish, and makes for a nice smooth, shiny surface.  These kits are so easy to make a good final product.

I left them to sit overnight per advice given on some website, even though they all appeared to be dry enough to handle.  It ended up being 2 days, as I got sidetracked.  Assembled the first last night, and took it in to work to show it off.  Everyone seemed impressed.  Still looks as good as when I made it, in spite of quite a bit of handling.

Since it's so nice to be able to start and finish a project in one night, I decided to make more.  After assembling the other two, I started the fourth.  Got it all done, but rushed it a bit, so the surface isn't quite as nice as I'd like, but otherwise okay.  Then the mistake: I proceeded to assemble it without waiting for it to dry overnight.  Handling it today has made it look worn already.  Two pens.  Same type of wood, same finish, and the difference is dramatic.  I'm sure I can sand it down and try again, but It's going to be a pain to press it apart without damaging anything.  Let the finish set up before assembling, as it is much easier to redo it before you press the parts together!

I'm addicted, though.  Ordered a dozen various kits online today, and enough blanks to make twice that many.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 05:35:15 PM »
WE WANT ...  :worthless:

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 05:42:09 PM »
As long as you did not glue in the nib, it is easy to insert a brass round through the transmission and tap out the nib. Then you can press out the transmission. To reiterate  :worthless:
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
Did someone say there were pictures? I cant see them? :nrocks:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 08:37:30 PM »
As long as you did not glue in the nib...

Silly me, I did just that.  Got some acetone on it (which further ruined the finish), and got it apart without too much trouble.  Swearing doesn't count, of course.  Sanding and refinishing worked quite well, and it will sit this time until I am convinced it's dried.

Hard to tell, but it really is fairly shiny.  Other two look pretty much the same, and are already wrapped up for gifts.