Author Topic: Soldering Brazing and Welding  (Read 4431 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Soldering Brazing and Welding
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »
Soldering Brazing and Welding
Edited by Eric Franklin
Cassell Work Handbook series
Cassell & Co
London
Copyright© 1934,1954
second edition 1963

This is another one of those historical gems one comes across, it was in a package deal of shop books. At first I didn't pay top much attention to it till I looked at the cover again. It has a shot of a lead pipe joint being wiped. Now to know what that is you have to be one of the senior members here in age only.

In looking at the contents and then starting to reading it. It is one of those books that can withstand the test of time. With the information it contains.

It covers the complete process of wiping joints. Something that I couldn't find a plumber in 30 years of being in the industrial scene that could even explain what it was. There is a very complete section on wiping joints and lead pipes and welding/joining sheet lead (called lead burning)

Starting out with the various processes of joining metal, its chapter on soft solders has more information on solders and alloys,than any other book I've seen. The same with the 7 page chapter on soft solder fluxes what's wrong and why along with the formulations.

The chapter on the apparatus, Irons and blowpipes(torches) for the collector would be priceless.

The chapter on the soft soldering covers it completely, with section on different classes of work as to procedures and set ups so you don't have failures.

The soldering of aluminum, really opened my eyes. As I like most on this forum probably were told that "YOU CAN'T SOLDER ALUMINUM" as a youngin from every quarter no one could really say. From the solder alloys, to fluxes to the most important reason soldering aluminum fails today as it did when this was written.Contamination!

It then goes into Hard soldering with Silver Solder, soldering on gold and silver jewelry.

Moving on to a chapter on Brazing,then chapter of interest to the smiths is the chapter entitled Iron,and Steel under the hammer.

The chapters on oxy-acetylene welding and electrical welding are dated as to equipment. But were interesting to read. The chapter on induction soldering and brazing again was interesting, even with the dated equipment.

It is true that this book may be easier to find back in its county of origin. But if you have an interest. It is worth tracking down.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...