Author Topic: 16 frikken degrees tonight!!  (Read 12939 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: 16 frikken degrees tonight!!
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 08:23:12 PM »
Blimey, us lot in the UK moan a lot about the weather but -2C is about as bad as it gets  :bugeye: ........... I don't envy you guys ........ take care and "keep warm"  :zap:

CC

Not typically no, but I did measure -27C one winter right in the mountains. Down between two mountains there is a small lake that I used to frequent. It had frozen over so hard the ice expanded with such a force it split across the middle. One side had been pushed up and the ice showing was thicker than I am tall.

All the reeds had 2" of ice on them and the nearby quarry lakes were frozen over (only ever seen that once in my life) The whole quarry floor was thick with ice balls up to 1" round where they had been blowing around in the wind. Damned hard to walk on .... !!

On the way down from the mountain we were hit by a snow blizard and had to take shelter between some rocks for around an hour. It was too dangerous to keep walking when you couldn't see your feet.

Those were the days, we used to get winters back then unlike now. But that was an exceptional year.

I was 15 so be winter of 1981. I used to walk across the mountains with our dog almost daily, a Welsh Collie. Sometimes over one mountain and up to the top of the next. Imagine a kid doing that today !!
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »
Minus 2 outside and plus 30 in the workshop, gotta love that wood stove.
Even get about a tonne of wood offcut delivered every week so the local furniture factory don't have to pay to tip it.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »
Plus 30  :bugeye:

You're spoilt , don't you find that a bit warm ?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 08:43:03 PM »
Ah, Darren, when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, we used to get proper seasonal weather here in Sale. But the last respectably cold winter I can recall was in '63, when I was 16. It was easier to get the 2 miles to Altrincham (it had something to do with a girl, as most leisure activities did at that age) by cycling down the frozen Bridgewater Canal than along the roads.

But the summer of that year was great - spent it hitchhiiking round Europe. Like you, I don't suppose many parents would give their blessing to that sort of adventure today.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 08:58:49 PM »
They used to hold a faye on the Thames when it froze over .... imagine the Thames freezing to hold that sort of event today ... can anyone remember it freezing?