Author Topic: Modified my foundry furnace burner pipe.  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Gadget

Modified my foundry furnace burner pipe.
« on: December 12, 2009, 08:41:10 PM »
I have been having a problem getting the right air flow for the propane burner in my foundry furnace. I put a T pipe on the air inlet to give me better adjustment.
I will put a spring held baffle over the end which should allow free flow past the furnace when open but gently force more air down the burner tube as the flow is restricted by closing the baffle. The larger end is just big enough to allow a tight fit for my vacuum hose adapter.
I did the coping for the pipe with my cutoff saw just eyeballing it, it turned out pretty well, no gaps and I was able to get a good weld.
I still have to weld a mount and pivot point for the baffle, I'll do that tomorrow. I plan on another melt tomorrow and will probably take a video of that and post it.
I'm still getting the hang of TIG welding so the welds could be prettier but no blow holes and it isn't going to break.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Modified my foundry furnace burner pipe.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 11:16:09 PM »
The welds are a lot better than mine!

How about some more info about your foundry

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Gadget

Re: Modified my foundry furnace burner pipe.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:02:11 AM »
It started as a Gingery electric years ago. The element burned out a few years back and I replaced the heating element with a propane burner. I also have a waste motor oil burner I can quickly swap with the propane but I am out of oil right now. That and the fact that I don't have a vent hood and must do my melting inside now has forced me to use propane. Here is a link of the unit in action;  http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2272.0
Dan