Author Topic: X2 X-axis Stepper motor Power Feed - (possible CNC conversion?)  (Read 60360 times)

Offline John Rudd

Re: X2 X-axis Stepper motor Power Feed - (possible CNC conversion?)
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 07:29:48 AM »
I see you're having fun with that Chris, that's what it's all about  :thumbup:

Where's all the swarf?..... :lol:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 01:21:36 PM »
Sure am having fun Darren. I`m going to attempt to run the stepper motor over Christmas. I`ve just picked up the programmer/development board from maplin a few hours ago so my next step is to build that up, encase it and then use it to run the stepper.

Chris

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 08:08:55 AM »
I`m being encouraged to use C as it is the industry standard but apparently BASIC and especially assembly code give the writer a better understanding of what it going on inside the PIC. I know quite a few choose one of those first and then move to C.
All the high level languages like BASIC and C will give some unneeded code when compared to assembler code.  They also can give varying time-frames for some commands, making assembler the prime choice for timing-critical functions.

I learned PIC assembler for some RC servo projects initially, which require reasonably accurate timing, and have just recently dabbled with C.  THE biggest advantages of C or BASIC are that they are easier to port from one device to another if you need more (or less) facilities, and you don't have to write complicated maths routines yourself (try working out how to divide in assembler and you'll know what I mean).

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 04:32:11 AM »
I`ve not had much shop time over the past few days with the run up to Christmas and family stuff but I have had a little time most evening to continue with developing my understanding of coding. Now I know you may think this is off topic but infact I realise I was nieve to say that I could just build this controller right from the start. I needed to start with something easier. So none of this is off topic, I`m learning how to code so that I can develop the code on my X-axis controller and not only that, an easier alternative project will also allow me to actually build a circuit and integrate a PIC start to finish. The traffic lights posted a few days ago were too basic and useless so I started a code for an electronic dice. I`ve posted all the code at the bottom for you if anyone is interested. Sadly I left my camera at my mother-in-laws so my only pictures have been taken with my phone so bad quality but I just wanted to show you what I`d been up to.

Basically there are two counts going on both going 1 to 6. The first is a delayed count and is being displayed while the button is pressed. The second is a fast count (1 to 6 a few hundred thousand times a second) and this is displayed when the button is released. Since the fast count is literally so fast it becomes random as it is impossible to release the button in sync with an outcome of your choice. I believe it could be hundreds of times slower and it would still be impossible. For all intent and purposes it is random. I initially choose a square of 3 x 3 leds to output the number on the dev board led clusters in a pattern like a dice:

1.      2.    3.     4.     5.       6.
XXX  1XX  1XX  1 X1  1X1   1X1
X1X  XXX  X1X  XXX   X1X  1X1
XXX  XX1  XX1  1X1   1X1   1X1

It worked great but I didn`t take any pictures. The video is exactly the same but the LEDs are in a row but will need to be arranged and the same config or display will be obtained. The reason I`ve changed it was that the first pic I used was a 40 pin with 4 ports. To use the square config of the leds on the dev board I needed to use the three consecutive pins on each port - A to C. The pic I`m atually going to put into this board (the 40 pin is too big and too good for the job - it would be wasted!) is an old PIC16F627 which only had two ports. To be honest, it is better the way I`m doing it anyway as it allows me to have all the LEDs on one port it just means that I have to display them as a line on the dev board because of their position.

So here is the vid:

I now need to make the circuit which will end in a bit of machining with making the case!

Here is my “paint” circuit diagram!

And the start of the LED cluster:

The pic socket, a resistor for each led and two 5k resistors in series as I needed 10k resistance for my pull up for the switch. You will also notice the switch is a tilt switch so will be activated when you shake the dice!

Since I`ve put the pic on a socket it will allow me to remove it and update the code. There are a few other things I want it to do, for example, it would be good for the shaking effect when the button is pressed to last a set time even when the button is released and slow down as it gets nearer to displaying your number...that sort of stuff. We`ll see... then I`ll need to machine the case and at last we may see some swarf.

The code for anyone interested:

// define which pins our buttons are on
#define rick PORTB.b7

// led array - binary portB state for each number zero to 6.
char ledB[7] = {0b00000000, 0b00001000, 0b01000001, 0b01001001, 0b01010101, 0b01011101, 0b01110111};
char dice1;    // index into array Leds for the "real" dice throw
char dice2;   // index into array Leds for the shake slow dice throw while (button)
int loop;       // defines an int called loop for misc use  

void main()
{

// set all the pins on PORT B to 'off' before we start
    PORTB = 0;
    // set the tri-state buffer. Pins set to '1' are input, '0' are output. In this case PortB bits 0-6 as output for leds and bit 7 as input for button
    TRISB = 0b10000000;

PORTB = 0;
//============================================================
//=================code proper starts=========================
//============================================================
// two dice throws are actually calculated - dice proper and a dice throw to display while shaking
// calculate dice

dice1 = 1;           // dice1 is set to 1
dice2 = 1;           // dice2 is set to 1
while(1)             // loops this entire code forever as the condition is always 1
{
while (rick)         // while button is pressed
 {
      // ==== This is dice2 the "shaking" display ======
      loop++;                // loop is set as an int and can therefore store numbers upto a few thousand so will loop through starting from 1 and adding + 1
      if (loop > 6000)     //  when loop goes above 6000 loop is set to zero and therefore comes out of the while statement (this creates a count delay)
      {
      loop = 0;                        
      dice2++;              // add 1 to dice2
      if (dice2 > 6)        // cycles dice between 1 and 6 (if it goes over 6 it returns back to 1)
      dice2 = 1;            // as above. reset to 1.
      PORTB = ledB[dice2];  // BUT the display shows the led array for the number it is on in each loop, hence the counting shaking effect
      }
      // ==== This is dice1 the actual throw and is running in the background very fast===
      dice1++;          // dice1 + 1
      if (dice1 > 6)  // when dice gets to 6 take it back to 1
      dice1 = 1;
  }
  // Now out of the rick loop so when the button is  not pressed it displays the results of dice1
PORTB = ledB[dice1];
}
}
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 04:48:48 AM by craynerd »

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 01:29:09 PM »
That's looking good Chris :thumbup: From everything I've been reading, everyone seems to reccomend starting with a simple project like you are doing, but to have the "big" project to work towards.

As for it being or not being  :offtopic: It is your thread, you take it where you see fit. In my view this is not off topic at all, like you say this is part of the build up to getting the CNC controller done.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »
Hi Tim, glad you understand ...

I managed to put together the circuit for it and I have bought a few kits from maplin over the years and this is the first that has ever worked and it was built from scratch!

I spent about two hours pulling my hair out before I got it running. If you go back to my diagram there is a pin labeled MCLR and since I have not turned this off in the code it meant that I needed to pull it high for the pic to run! I simply jumped it with a perminant live and now the circuit works great.

I just want to add a slow acting delay so that the shaking effect slows down and comes to a stop rather than stopping so abruptly as it currently does.

Hope you like it. Just a bit of swarf to make now for a case and then maybe back on to the x-axis controller!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »
OK Chris, that's got playing Monopoly sorted - no more hoisting Auntie up to look for the die down the side of her cushion.

Seriously though, I'm watching this closely. Apart from fiddling around with CMOS adders to get the PLLs in old CB sets on to the amateur 10m band, my experience with digital can be summed up as 0. The fact that you seem to be starting from a fairly basic level is teaching me more about microcontrollers as applied to engineering than I would learn from trying to adapt ideas from some "Run Your Whole Home Using Just One PIC" book. Thanks.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 04:59:23 AM »
Cheers Andy. It all started with the indexer that my mate made for me and then I figured I fancied having a go. To be honest, it didn`t really start making any sense until I borrowed the dev board and could code and then immediately send it to the chip and see if it actually did what I wanted it to. Think the first thing I did was hold an led lit for 5 secs each time you pressed a button. It is supprising how fast it comes together, it is totally logical and the commands are quite straight forward using MikroC.

Thanks for looking and commenting, Andy.

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
I have finally finished the code and the circuit. I have also put in a little button that switches it into a "weighted dice" mode which makes the dice weighted to 6. I think I`m getting into this and into the way of thinking. It basically counts 1 to 6 and then looks at an array of LED options (1-6) and displays the relevant number. To get it weighted, I simply made it count from 1 to 8 with 7 and 8 also being the arrangement for a six throw. Obviously, there is then more chance of the six being thrown as it is in the array 3 times. It was only a bit of fun really and I just wanted to see if I could do it.
I`ve built the cicuit and it looks like a dogs dinner (I really nead to use strip board on make my own PCB (another project!)) but it works!

I just need to encase it now. Has anyone any suggestions? I was thinking an aluminium case but I don`t know how you could lock it together but with a release so that you can change the batteries or even press the button. I think I`ll hide the weighted button inside the case as it was only fun and probably won`t ever be used.

Now we are talking swarf, there must be some opinions?

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 07:53:36 AM »
I once spent 2 hours trying to work out why one of my PIC projects wouldn't work.  I eventually realised I'd not switched over the analogue inputs to digital.  I'd not used an 8-pin PIC with analogue inputs before, and didn't realise they defaulted to analogue...  :scratch:

WRT the box: Maplin, and others, sell plastic cases with battery compartments.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 12:28:40 PM »
That's looking good Chris  :wave:

I just need to encase it now. Has anyone any suggestions? I was thinking an aluminium case but I don`t know how you could lock it together

You could hollow out a cube of Ali with holes drilled for the led's, then use some of those really strong magnets to hold the base onto the hollowed out section. The whole thing would look like a large dice ( die? ) but would have no visable fixings.

Just a thought.

Tim

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 01:01:04 PM »
No1-sonuk - lol, tell me about it!! It took me ages to figure out what to do to get them off. I found I had to type:

// All ports digital
ADCON1 = 0x0F;
CMCON = 0x07;

and that works perfectly but if I`m being honest, I haven`t a clue what it means. I didn`t even find it on the data sheet, I googed it!!! This is for my PIC18F4520 which I`m using on a current project but on the PIC16F627 I was using on the dice project shown in this thread obviously didn`t need it, I presume it doesn`t have any ADC?

I wouldn be interested to see your projects if your willing to share them. What code do you program in?

SpudEvans - yea I thought of that, I think it would look best but at present my circuit design is too bulky and wouldn`t fit in a decent size block. I think maybe I`ll redo the circuit on strip board and try and slim it down a little.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
Chris,

The F627 doesnt have adc capability, it has 2 in built analog comparators with inputs on pins 1,2,17 18 and needs the cmcon function to turn off the comparators...

If you look at the Microchip data sheet pg 63, cmcon=111(Binary) turns off the comparator function, your function above says 7 ( I guess the Radix used is Decimal or Hex)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:26:54 PM by John Rudd »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 03:37:32 AM »
Hi John,

That explain a lot - thank you!!!

I didn`t know that but it is clearer now when reading the datasheet after you have said, that would explain why the dice would not work correctly when I put the button on PortA.b0 or b1   - they are ports 17 and 18 and as you said, I need to turn the analog comparators off. If I being honest, I don`t even know what the analogue comparators do - I`ll have to have a google.

Thanks for the info. Regarding the code I posted in my last message - ADCON1 = 0x0F; CMCON = 0x07; I had to write that to get the 18f4520 to work. I`m sorry, I`m looking at the data sheet but I can`t see where I get that from (I googled it and someone mentioned it to another noob on a forum)? I know it is going to turn the pins to digital but can`t see where the code if from. Any advice appreciated.
Just curious John, what sort of stuff have you done with PICs?
Chris

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 07:32:22 AM »
"0x07" is the convention used for hexadecimal numbers.

Most of my stuff has been in assembler, but I've recently dipped my toe into C.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »
Just curious John, what sort of stuff have you done with PICs?
Chris

Chris, Hex code isnt something new to me, I used it lots for receiving encrypted tv during the D2MAC days...
As for pics, I've built a number of pic based projects from magazines, infra red control for one...Most recent project which still isnt complete is a tacho for my 9*20 lathe...based on a 16F628A and a 2 line lcd display..

I'll post up photos ( nearly said pics.... :D ) when its done..

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »
Hi John, I look forward to seeing the tacho - I`d be interested in making one so please post plenty of photos and details - obviously unless it is a commercial idea.

I`m going to post up again shortly. I`ve just spent this evening making a little ball and cup game! I can`t help myself. I love these things!!

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
This is totally pointless (not like the dice wasn`t!!) but again I`ve learnt a lot from it, specifically using functions.

It is based on the old Ball and Cup game - you know the one where you have to select which cup the ball is under. Basically, there are three buttons and the first row of leds lights to show your selection. The top row then starts to count and then stops on the computer selection (or under which cup the ball actually was!). If you match the leds, you win and the leds flash. If you don`t you lose and the leds come on solid and then reset.

My issue is that I have used a lot of messy delay code in my "void CupDisplay" function. Anyone know a better way to do it?

OHHH and OK before anyone says --- that is it now, back on task with the X-axis controller!!!!!

// define which pins our buttons are on
#define button1 PORTA.b0
#define button2 PORTA.b1
#define button3 PORTA.b2
#define YourLED1 PORTB.b0
#define YourLED2 PORTB.b1
#define YourLED3 PORTB.b2

// 3 buttons 1,2,3 linked to YourLED1, YourLED2, YourLED3
// When button is pressed corresponding LED lights and computer counts CupLED1-3
// CupLED1-3 lights.
// if YourLED = CupLED  you win - flashing. Game Resets
// else...you loose. Game Resets
char buttonPressed;   // a variable that saves our button press
char cup;
char LED[4] = {0b00000000, 0b00000001, 0b00000010, 0b00000100};

void cupDisplay ()
{
  PORTC = 0b00000001;
  delay_ms(300);
  PORTC = 0b00000010;
  delay_ms(300);
  PORTC = 0b00000100;
  delay_ms(400);
  PORTC = 0b00000010;
  delay_ms(400);
  PORTC = 0b00000001;
  delay_ms(400);
  PORTC = 0b00000010;
  delay_ms(500);
  PORTC = 0b00000100;
  delay_ms(500);
  PORTC = 0b00000010;
  delay_ms(500);
  PORTC = 0b00000001;
  delay_ms(650);
  PORTC = 0b00000010;
  delay_ms(750);
  PORTC = LED[cup];
  delay_ms(1000);
 if (buttonPressed == cup)
 {
 PORTC = 0b00000111;
 PORTB = 0b00000111;
 delay_ms(250);
 PORTC = 0b00000000;
 PORTB = 0b00000000;
 delay_ms(250);
 PORTC = 0b00000111;
 PORTB = 0b00000111;
 delay_ms(250);
 PORTC = 0b00000000;
 PORTB = 0b00000000;
 delay_ms(250);
 PORTC = 0b00000111;
 PORTB = 0b00000111;
 delay_ms(250);
 PORTC = 0b00000000;
 PORTB = 0b00000000;
 delay_ms(250);
 PORTC = 0b00000111;
 PORTB = 0b00000111;
 delay_ms(250);
 PORTC = 0b00000000;
 PORTB = 0b00000000;
 delay_ms(250);
 }
 else
 {
 PORTB = 0b00000111;
 PORTC = 0b00000111;
 delay_ms(2000);
 }
 }

char ReadButtons ()
{
if (button1) return 1;
if (button2) return 2;
if (button3) return 3;
return 0;
}

void main()
{
    char count;             // misc use

int adc;                // somewhere to put the ADC we read

// PIC's have lots of hardware - in this case in order to use PORTB
    // we have to turn off the ADC's
// All ports digital
ADCON1 = 0x0F;
CMCON = 0x07;
    PORTA = 0;
    PORTB = 0;
    PORTC = 0;
    // set the tri-state buffer. Pins set to '1' are input, '0' are output
    // we've done this in binary to make it easier to see
    // each number is 1 pin, right hand is pin 0, left is pin 7
    TRISA = 0b11111111;
    TRISB = 0b00000000;
    TRISC = 0b00000000;

// ============= Code Proper Starts ========

while (1)    // loop forever
{
while (!(buttonPressed = ReadButtons() ));

cup = 1;
while (ReadButtons())     // counts while buttons are pressed
      {
      cup++;
      if (cup > 3)
      cup = 1;
      }

if (buttonPressed == 1)
{
YourLED1 = 1;
cupDisplay ();
}

if (buttonPressed ==2)
{
YourLED2= 1;
cupDisplay ();
}

if (buttonPressed ==3)
{
YourLED3= 1;
cupDisplay ();
}
PORTA = 0;
PORTB = 0;
PORTC = 0;
}
}

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 06:12:48 PM »
 :offtopic: Hey Chris, what ever happened to the clock you were building?  :offtopic:  :poke:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
lol, it is warmer up here in the living room programming these pics on my PC than in the workshop. I actually can`t open the door to the shop at the moment with all this snow!!!

Naaa, not really the excuse, if I`d wanted to I`d have carried on. I`ve just got a bit of a bee in my bonnet about these PICs at the moment, I find them amazing. My clock is my life ambition, it will be done there is no fear of that!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 05:52:26 AM »
Just another step towards the xaxis contoller and I know probably not that interesting. I`ve actually started it properly now but I wanted to include an LCD so I thought it would be best to first try and implement an lcd on a current code.
Here is my electronic ball and cup game with an lcd.... I`m certainly building up my understanding especially considering I`ve know nothing about either coding or electronics/circuits.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 12:27:06 PM »
Chris, impressive stuff this.  :clap: It's good that you can be doing this preparatory work indoors too.  :smart: then  :dremel:  :thumbup:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »
Believe it or not, I am now getting down to the task in hand. Can I ask for a few ideas that you would think would be useful for an x-axis controller unit.
Just to recap, as I appreciate this thread has lost a little focus -

The controller is to drive the X-axis of the X2 milling machine.

The current inputs and outputs:

button left
button right
button stop
button memory
LCD display
MotorRun LED
Memory LED

Function:
On power-up, the indexer is auto set to position "0".
The motor can be jogged left and right using the buttons
If memory is pressed, followed by "left" or "right" that sets a limit at that side. Once two limits have been set, this allows you to simply move between limits (I expect progressing the feed on either the z or y axis).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That is where I am up to now. Anyone any suggestions as to the sort of functionallity or other features it would be useful to have?

Chris

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
Variable traverse speed? Not necessarily constantly variable, but at least presettable.  That could be on a +/- basis, set up several presets, or both.

Also maybe a button/function to make it auto-traverse from one limit to the other and stop, or go back.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 04:06:23 AM »
Having a rapid traverse could be helpful for covering larger spans.

Tim