Author Topic: Brass torches....  (Read 41187 times)

Offline wongster

Re: Brass torches....
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 03:52:13 AM »
Hi Ralph,
I do not have the small boring bar you use in the video. Do you have a close up pic of it and some descriptions on how to grind one? I've not done any grinding before but keen to learn.

Regards,
Wong

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2010, 08:49:32 PM »
Hi Wong  :wave:

I have no close ups at this time but I have found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-8-SHANK-PARTING-TOOL-SMALL-BLADE-SUIT-MYFORD-ML7-/370237627527?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5633e1dc87

It is the same as the one I think you are referring to?  It's a parting tool and works quite well.

If you want to grind one up it shouldn't be too hard.... make it thin (~1.5mm) and flat on the top (for cutting brass). just make sure that it is set exactly to centre height before using it.

You could even grind a radius on the tip to allow O rings to be fitted neater?

Hope all this helps?  It's late here now so am quite sleepy... If you require any more info just ask  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline wongster

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
Thanks Ralph.  I would like to try the Q-Cut.  Trying to find one that I can use on the Sherline.

I've finished my 1st torch.  It was a recovery from a piece I was about to add to my scrap pile.  Was trying knurling but result not fantastic.  More practice needed.  Pics attached.

Regards,
Wong

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2010, 05:14:58 PM »
LOOKIN GOOD Wong  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline wongster

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
Thanks Rob.  Learn a lot from this little project; boring, threading, and attempted knurling.  Hope the next piece will be better.

Regards,
Wong

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 10:45:05 PM »
Good job Wong!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline wongster

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 11:13:14 PM »
Thanks Eric. I've gotten lots of help from folks in this forum.

Regards,
Wong

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
Thanks Rob.  Learn a lot from this little project; boring, threading, and attempted knurling.  Hope the next piece will be better.

Regards,
Wong

Hi Wong

Your off to a good start there , the more you do the easer things will come ,, so whats the next project  :poke: :D

Cheers Rob

Offline wongster

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2010, 07:50:13 PM »
Hi Rob,

A few more brass torches (hopefully one with the acrylic as shown on John Somers' site - nice.... ) before I trying making extra tool holders for my A2ZCNC QCTP, Toolmakers' Clamps, Mini Surface Gauge, Adjustable Angle Plate.... greedy huh?  :)  At least one engine that is not too difficult for beginners.  The kids will love it.

Regards,
Wong

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »
Hi Rob,

A few more brass torches (hopefully one with the acrylic as shown on John Somers' site - nice.... ) before I trying making extra tool holders for my A2ZCNC QCTP, Toolmakers' Clamps, Mini Surface Gauge, Adjustable Angle Plate.... greedy huh?  :)  At least one engine that is not too difficult for beginners.  The kids will love it.

Regards,
Wong

I wouldn't say greedy... sounds like you have  :proj: !!!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2010, 03:35:24 AM »
Hi Wong,

Only just had time to post. I know I've been a little AWOL, had to sit on a house for a week, then rebuild the car again, make stuff for.... the list goes on. You get the picture?  :lol:

Very happy to see you have a good looking prototype  :thumbup:  It's not that hard to make one eh?  :dremel:

You have plans for the Somers acrylic adaptation too.... I haven't even tried that yet  ::)

I'll agree with Eric,  :proj:   I think it's too late, you appear to have quite a virulent strain  :bugeye:   :lol:

Good luck with your "Round Tuit" list  :whip:   

Don't forget to show some pic's of future torches too  :thumbup:

Ralph.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2010, 05:56:50 AM »
Hi Rob,

before I trying making extra tool holders for my A2ZCNC QCTP, Toolmakers' Clamps, Mini Surface Gauge, Adjustable Angle Plate.... greedy huh?  :) 

Regards,
Wong

Hi Wong

Your not doing it right ,,, your TO DO  :dremel: list is way way too short  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Cheers Rob 

Offline wongster

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »
Hi Rob,

Each will take me a long time to complete given the lack of time and experience.  I'll be looking through the project log in this forum for what I can make thereafter.  So keep your projects coming with pics pics and more pics  :thumbup:

Regards,
Wong
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 08:06:45 PM by wongster »

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2010, 06:08:39 PM »
Hi Wong

Just take your time ,, there is no hurry its a hobby   :thumbup:  ,, you will soon be up to speed  :ddb: ,,,,,,,,, lets have more photos for your next project   :poke:   :) :)

Regards Rob

Offline Blade

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 07:26:32 PM »
I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to say that those are some nice lights Ralph!

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »
Thank you Eddie  :thumbup:

Happy to know that people still wander through the old stuff :)   

Glad you like them.

Ralph.

P.S. Wanna swop projects?  :lol:

Offline Blade

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2010, 10:21:57 PM »
P.S. Wanna swop projects? 

I always like to swap but I don't make butter knives and it is my understanding that they don't allow anything else into the UK  :poke:  :lol:  sorry couldn't help myself you can  :hammer:  me now.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
OK...  :wack: 

I'll just have to learn to make my own.... Or smuggle one back the next time I visit over there..... Although that'll be a year or two away if current money flow carries on  ::)

Do they stop them coming in now? I never heard that... Probably do though?  They just don't understand that it's the person not the tool that is at fault. I mean, even a complete dumb a$$ can sharpen a butter knife eh?

Anywho  :offtopic: 

I'll be waiting for the influx of finished torch pictures (all I've ever asked for is a piccy or two).  Won't hold my breath though.

Although saying that John-Som sent me a rather nice e-mither last week or so with a link showing a couple of torches one of his wedsite readers/followers made. In the John-Som acrylic configuration and very neat they looked too  :D      http://start-model-engineering.co.uk/category/brass-torch/   Shameless publicity for me and John   :wave:   :)

Ralph.

Offline Blade

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2010, 10:23:24 PM »
Do they stop them coming in now? I never heard that... Probably do though?  They just don't understand that it's the person not the tool that is at fault. I mean, even a complete dumb a$$ can sharpen a butter knife eh?

I am not sure I was just giving you a hard time because I know the knife laws are a bit strict in certain areas and dont allow any type of locking knife. I have some knives to barter with do you have any lights? Or if you would like I can provide you with a set of drawings for a knife so that you can build your own without having to figure everything out.

I have to agree about it being the person and not the tool, too many people try to place blame on inanimate objects.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2010, 03:17:13 AM »
I was kiddin bout the swap... It'd take 20-30 to qualify (at least).... I'm not good at production runs. Purely out of idleness, well that and I like to make them all different  ::)

Although I'm sure the plans could be worth a couple? Followed by a few PM's when I get stuck  :lol:

But that could be a while... I have such a back log of projects it's quite disturbing. I need more of this  :whip:

I have to agree about it being the person and not the tool, too many people try to place blame on inanimate objects.
Indeed  :scratch: I suppose it's just easier?

We're in danger of politics here....  :loco:

PM me with your swap proposal and we shall see where we get to?  :)

Ralph.